Quantcast

what cars do mountain bikers drive?

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Current: POS 91 Honda Accord (in the shop as I speak, getting new slave/master cylinders)
Dream: the 68 Mustang 302 four-barrel fastback that I will someday inherit.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Ian F said:
Current car: 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 50 mpg, baby!
(which is good as I drive 100+ miles a day... :dead: )

Really? I will be car shopping soon and VW's are on our "must look at" list. My beloved subbie got minorly crunched, and I have a feeling I'm going to get a check for blue book from the other guy's insurance. We're thinking nicer but good mileage 4 -door sedan, not in the luxury category. We already have an SUV that we use for towing. I just need something to throw my bike on, haul groceries, occasionally take 4 of us up to the ski hill. Camry? Jetta? Honda?

I'll give the subbie with the crunched rear door to my sons to drive. I'm not sure how they'll like all my "ride like a girl" bike stickers though....

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
geargrrl said:
Really? I will be car shopping soon and VW's are on our "must look at" list. My beloved subbie got minorly crunched, and I have a feeling I'm going to get a check for blue book from the other guy's insurance. We're thinking nicer but good mileage 4 -door sedan, not in the luxury category. We already have an SUV that we use for towing. I just need something to throw my bike on, haul groceries, occasionally take 4 of us up to the ski hill. Camry? Jetta? Honda?

I'll give the subbie with the crunched rear door to my sons to drive. I'm not sure how they'll like all my "ride like a girl" bike stickers though....
My sister got a TDI that she runs Bio in. She pays $.60 a gallon less (like $2.60 a gallon) for Bio than standard diesel and gets great milage. She also has to drive from CT to NY 3 days a week. Still a blast to drive too.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
jimmydean said:
My sister got a TDI that she runs Bio in. She pays $.60 a gallon less (like $2.60 a gallon) for Bio than standard diesel and gets great milage. She also has to drive from CT to NY 3 days a week. Still a blast to drive too.
can you tell me more? My pops drives through the same relative area (CT to NY) and has meant to give BD a try for a while. Did she have to flush the system or anything before running the BD?

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
Drive:
Laforza, Jaguar, Rolls Royce
Dream:
Dauer Porsche 962LM
Dauer Bugatti EB110 lightweight

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
sikocycles said:
Thanks E.
I got it 2 months ago.
When you in town?

I'm not coming into town as much as before. We're gonna do some trail riding at Blue on Sunday and you should come! Been a while!

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
JohnnyBoyDH said:
Current Ride: Subaru Forester XT
Wanted Ride: Subaru Forester STi
Or as Whitsell calls em "Impreza Talls".

Have:

Want:
RS6 Avant

-ska todd

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
McGRP01 said:
Current:

Dream:

i hope you know those are too different models..lol jk, you want all trail ready and arb stuff? hey, its cheap for jeeps..though i'd like it more on the cherokee, longer wheel base and nicer IMO..
you could get a 6 inch lift using SOA but you'd need an anti yoke eliminator(axle shaft binding) and a dual battery setup or dual alternator..i'm thinking w/o an axle upgrade or problems it'd be a nice 5 or 6 grand which isn't too too bad...but let me tell you one thing...NEVER BUY A LIFTED TRUCK, EVER! DO IT YOURSELF, ITS WORTH THE TIME AND THE MONEY..TRUST ME.i may not know mtb's great, but i do know lifts and trucks very well.. if you want to know prices or ideas..i got em..

current rig:chevy k10 pickup w/ mods
Dream rig:my rig with extended cab, 2 1/2 ton axles, a/c, 44's, a roll cage, front and rear locker 10" lift, a 454, cowl hood..i'm getting excited talking about it :)

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Just got a 95 Toyota 4 Runner. Paid a bit over Blue Book, but it is low mileage for a 95. Wish me luck, I took it (briefly) into the desert today, I climbed a gnarly little hill and squished some desert creatures. Now all I need is a rack and a rocket box.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
JohnE said:
Just got a 95 Toyota 4 Runner. Paid a bit over Blue Book, but it is low mileage for a 95. Wish me luck, I took it (briefly) into the desert today, I climbed a gnarly little hill and squished some desert creatures. Now all I need is a rack and a rocket box.
nice mate... how many miles ?? got a piccie ??i picked this up last month... 99 mod / 78K miles... 9K

nikwho

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Flagstaff, Az
I drive a 7000lb tank that is a Ford F-350 diesel crew cab! its definatly not your typical mountain bikers ride, but it will suffice...
Its for sale and im buying my borther in laws tacoma....

Dream ride....... A ford GT!:cool: or a Hummer(H1) the H twos and H threes aren't for me!

nikwho

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Flagstaff, Az
habitatxskate said:
i hope you know those are too different models..lol jk, you want all trail ready and arb stuff? hey, its cheap for jeeps..though i'd like it more on the cherokee, longer wheel base and nicer IMO..
you could get a 6 inch lift using SOA but you'd need an anti yoke eliminator(axle shaft binding) and a dual battery setup or dual alternator..i'm thinking w/o an axle upgrade or problems it'd be a nice 5 or 6 grand which isn't too too bad...but let me tell you one thing...NEVER BUY A LIFTED TRUCK, EVER! DO IT YOURSELF, ITS WORTH THE TIME AND THE MONEY..TRUST ME.i may not know mtb's great, but i do know lifts and trucks very well.. if you want to know prices or ideas..i got em..

current rig:chevy k10 pickup w/ mods
Dream rig:my rig with extended cab, 2 1/2 ton axles, a/c, 44's, a roll cage, front and rear locker 10" lift, a 454, cowl hood..i'm getting excited talking about it :)
What does a lift kit have to do with a second battery or alternator??? im just curious:)

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
it doens't have to do with that, it has to do with all of the lighting on the truck(2 on bumper and two on safari rack) and you if you run a rig like that you are destine for a nice winch which really takes a toll...
a dual battery is a given thing, but when you run a winch you have the durability to go longer periods of time without worry of battery failure and premature power failure. as for dual alternator, that is too help keep the battery charged in short amounts of time whena winch and lights are used frequently..its like running 10 flashlights on 2 9 volt batteries..thats one wya to explain

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
no, but one other thing you would need is extended break lines, new shocks/springs, maybe a longer steering setup, cross-over steering is always nice..axle upgrades would be nice(i need one too) if not stronger axle shafts would be nice..gearing is a maybe...someone engine mods wouldn't be bad, and a stronger roll cage made of DOM
and sick rig nikwho, my friend has a f350 with a 36" tires and 12" lift..i saw it one day, didn't know it was his and i loved it, one of the onyl select few of fords i like..though yours is sick too, though i think you could go with another 4" of tire..but idk about your local lift laws..you can probably run 44" tires w/ your 1 tons, unlocked

heres my rig..

nikwho

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Flagstaff, Az
ok, well i think that 40" tires are much more than big enough! im not at all interested in 44's i had a set of 42" michlen x1 proto type tires on it and i just think that anything over 40's is over kill... It has F-450 front and rear axles/brakes. the lift is actually for sale with the axles and brakes.... oh, fyi... its a 2wd!

nikwho

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Flagstaff, Az
ok, i just love this picture.. the funny thing is that i dont know these girls...! my friend was walking out to my truck from a buddies party and found these girls in my wheel wells having thier picture taken by a friend and he snapped a couple too... lol... i just thought i would share one of the funnier disco truck moments! :)

nikwho

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Flagstaff, Az
well, it *had* a divorced transfer case from a 79 bronco and was converted to 4wd! If your going to build a 4wd with a lot of lift its better to start out with a 2wd and have a divorced transfer case rather than a "married" transfer case such as a factory 4wd tranny/transfer case... it greatly reduces the u joint angle on the front axle because you can center the trasfer case between the two axles! so, thats why you start with a 2wd!

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
what do you mean? cnan't you just upgrade your transfer case to something more bomb proof? and that is why they have anti yoke eliminators

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
honda element? is the interior really posible to hose out including the front interior and seating and everything? or is that just an advertisment play on words? a lot of offroaders "rhino line" their rigs which gives them the safe effect the element hose off ability, so if you get all dirty in mud you can simply hose it out..so i guess your element has a hard almost plasticy floor to it?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
nikwho said:
<snip>i just think that anything over 40's is over kill...
:stupid:

A buddy of mine had 44 Hawgs on his Bronco for a while and it sucked to drive (and wheel for the most part). Too much side wall flex. He went with a 39x18.5 Mickey Baja and now it drives and wheels like the bad boy that it is. He has 12" of lift and with 39's, he hasn't busted any more flares (3" cut out Bushwackers).

Sometimes bigger isn't better unless it's just for looks, then whatever floats your boat I guess.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
habitatxskate said:
what do you mean? cnan't you just upgrade your transfer case to something more bomb proof? and that is why they have anti yoke eliminators
I think he means it's much cheaper in the long run to lift the hell out of a 4x2 and convert it then to spend the dough on a 4x4 that you end up changing out anyway. If you don't pay for a transfer case, drive line, front axle, front springs, and stock gears that you won't be using to begin with, then then your ahead of the game.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
if you got the time,hell yeah, but some of us use it as a d.d., i got the time, another year till my permit, but still, i dont see it beneficial..i read about it in peterson's and they said no, because they thing the transmission isn't built to spin 4 wheels and give you proper strength