Quantcast

What have you broken on your bike recently?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Just out of curiosity, what hubs that use pawls do you consider reliable and durable? I seem to recall you're not a fan of Hope. Usually, I9 and Hope are touted as the more reliable options...
I've had several Hope freehubs on the PRO4 and earlier models that were completely chewed up when the tiny bearing collapsed. Stupid thing gives no warning. Stans NEO freehubs are even worse.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
JHFC, I can buy an XT derailleur for the cost of the dumb plastic XTR outer cage.
My Deore derailleur did the same thing last summer.

The cage opened up like a fish, halfway down Martha's Creek in BC.

Good thing that POS was just stamped metal, otherwise that wouldn't been a long walk down a few thousand feet with the bears. :busted:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Just out of curiosity, what hubs that use pawls do you consider reliable and durable? I seem to recall you're not a fan of Hope. Usually, I9 and Hope are touted as the more reliable options...
Hadley.

My first one was well used when I got it, I tore it down after a few years to change the bearings only to find out it was all still fine internally.

Current one skipped a bit from new but settled down pretty quickly, I should have pulled it down to have a look but laziness paid off as it's fine now.

I have about 200km on the new star ratchet in my QVIST hub, it's lasted six times longer than the first one and hopefully it keeps on truckin' for a long time to come.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I think about 10min?? Enough to pedal away from the shop, to the gondola at Creekside and then 3/4 of the way up it decided to leak again.

Just confirming that DD vs DH casing tires is all about sidewalls right? They both have the same thickness under the tread?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Well of course it did. No puncture like that is going to hold. I also find the plugs pull and leak if you leave the external excess like that. Knobs and tire tug on it. I keep a little micro-size nail clipper in my kit for that purpose. I carry cut-down auto plugs, but even still-any puncture that bad, that's sew and patch territory and questionable whether the tire can be saved. That's a hell of a pointy rock or embedded stake.

Ive plugged at the park, sometimes took multiple tries, but its to get back down mainly.

Last edited:

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Lol. It was a ghetto job done in the parking lot. I had actual hope it would last a little longer.

Not sure what caused it. First time I ever tear a tire. It tore right at the knob... about 6 or 7mm long. I'll check from the inside tomorrow. I refuse to spend $130-150 CAD for a new tire until I know I can't fix it.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Yup.
First, clean the shit out of it, use acetone if you have to.
Sew that thing like a sail, seal the crack with super glue.
Vulcanized patch on top of that. Gorilla tape on top of that.
Maybe a 30% chance of it working for more than a ride or two, but certainly worth trying!

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Vulcanized patch on top of that.
Use an Automotive one. They're a lot larger/tougher.
But if it's too long a gash a glued on patch made from piece of plastic cut from a 3l drinks bottle. Then covered with gaffer tape has worked. Obviously then run a tube though.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Moto style ones with a pushbike tax-
1725270666416.png

Jixed myself, the not trusty QVIST hub let out a pretty big bang today, gonna have to pull it apart again tomorrow.
I really fucked up buying it over a Hadley.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
It'll go like this:

-sew with fishing line with glue inside the cut
-glue a 2"x2" patch on the inside
-glue the exterior on top of the fishing line.

Should hold up! No problemo.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
My OneUp V2 dropper crapped out last night. On pretty much the farthest point in my loop. Wouldn't stay up (or down) even with the cable disconnected. I've had it.... 5 years maybe? So I guess it owes me nothing. Looks like a few shops in town actually have the V3 in my size in stock. which is good as I'm flying out for a BC bike trip in one week...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
It just needs a new cartridge
yeah. But I've been swapping this post between my summer and winter bikes. I'll just get a new post for my summer bike, and eventually get the new cartridge for the old post (whose upper and lower tubes are new from June - my shop sold them to me from a warranty return) and put that on the winter bike.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Ah. The luxury of owning a wet weather bike and an even wetter weather bike :dance:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
yeah. But I've been swapping this post between my summer and winter bikes. I'll just get a new post for my summer bike, and eventually get the new cartridge for the old post (whose upper and lower tubes are new from June - my shop sold them to me from a warranty return) and put that on the winter bike.
What size? I have a few extra v2 210 x 30.9’s I would sell for $100. I could mark them as ‘repair parts’, and ship to Canuckidah.
Excellent condition.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
The bushings in the rear pivot of the Siskiu said enough yesterday. I went out to ride in anger and basically threw every single jump, drop and sketchy line I could find. Found out there was something wrong with the suspension almost at the end of my ride (3 hours of riding time), because I felt like I was towing a boat anchor. That's when I realized the rotor had started to rub on the pads.

Now off to get a new set of bushings before the next Saturday comes! Best thing about them is they're standard IGUS.

Last edited:

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Had a similar experience recently when I thought I was just gassed - turns out the reason why my pedal strokes were giving me nothing wasn’t just because of my lack of power, but because my “modular dropouts” were trying to modulate themselves right off my frame and the rear wheel was pushing the rotor into the pads.

Good times

Last edited: