Quantcast

whatever happened to...

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Salsa was known in the late 90's as a good XC race HT. They really had a big CX following. Then they disappeared in the mid 00's.

I hadn't seen or heard of them in probably 15 years.
All of a sudden, they came out with a fat bike and I see them like crazy... Even more than Surly. Now I can name 10 morons off the top of my head who ride them. All sorts of bikes. Fat, dual fats, mid fats and 29'er +.

They were bought by QBP (or BTI?) and are sold as a house brand.

Personally, I hate them.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, November and December?
p4pb3887868.jpg

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Hey Brian, I've always thought that the initial welcome you had here was ridiculous. All those monkeys screaming about how bad it would be because they were experts in Linkage.

I'm glad you're here man. You have my respect and I wish you all the success in the world.
Wait a minute,is this the Man behind Brake Therapy? Who was with Kona for a spell with that one Model at the end of Me finding him?
Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
The curse and gift of carbon - more and more frames are carbon only, however the prices on aluminum frames has come down.
Fuck Carbon in The Bike World. There ain’t enough Money to come Proper to the Table. You all spend big bucks for garbage. I am a Steel HardTail rider. 2nd ride is a Big AL Squish,I wish they made a Steel Squish,many types would be Nice,but I am Very Happy with Beautiful Weld’s on a AL Frame. Fucking Press Fit with garbage Tolerance from the get. I have never heard/read that a AL Handler Bar just Broke? Seatpost? No thank you. The Only part on my bike that would be Carbon that I can think of would be Rims. Even then a fail of the rim could fuck me up. So,no part thank you. For what? A half pound. I have Never ridden a Proper Carbon Squish,I am sure it feels Proper. What I would like to know is: does a Carbon Squishy frame Vs an AL frame feel as different as a Steel HardTail Vs a AL? I think not. Could be wrong? I can speak for the HardTail,but not the Squish.

Last thought,if I was a Pro XC UCI racin Fuck,then I understand for you’re Carbon Lust.
Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Yes that’s him. Brian Berthold from Brake Therapy and was behind the Kona Magic Link.
Fuck,I remember talking to him at Kona when Magic came out. I had just seen him at Sea Otter and he said nothing of Kona. Then I found him at Kona? I spoke to him at work right when he got his start at Kona,he was pumped up. It took ALOT of work for me to get him on the phone at Kona,I won. That was the last time we spoke. I remember when I called back some time later,they played games with me. They acted like Brian was never there. I was very Blunt,they transfered me a couple times but nothing came of it? I called back and said “Hey,the Magic Link Man“! Where is he? They then said he is no longer with us,with not a word otherwise. I of course was angry as I Love this Fucker and could not find him? They were real Cunt’s if you ask me.
Avy

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Fuck,I remember talking to him at Kona when Magic came out. I had just seen him at Sea Otter and he said nothing of Kona. Then I found him at Kona? I spoke to him at work right when he got his start at Kona,he was pumped up. It took ALOT of work for me to get him on the phone at Kona,I won. That was the last time we spoke. I remember when I called back some time later,they played games with me. They acted like Brian was never there. I was very Blunt,they transfered me a couple times but nothing came of it? I called back and said “Hey,the Magic Link Man“! Where is he? They then said he is no longer with us,with not a word otherwise. I of course was angry as I Love this Fucker and could not find him? They were real Cunt’s if you ask me.
Avy
I enjoy your ramblings, and it makes me feel like I swear too much just that bit less, thanks.

He said Kona sorta fucked his design up a bit as he wasn't allowed to do exactly what he wanted and the redesign hurt the performance.
Something like that anyway.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
There is a resurgence of threaded bottom brackets even on carbon bikes such as my Ibis's 73mm bsa.
Press Fit is King. However in the Bike World,it is Garbage. All Marketing BullShit. The Reason for it being Garbarge is the Tolerance of the Whole Bike Industry. There are Standards tobe met with you’re 12,000 bike press fit BB. These standard’s are Never met, and yet we slop it All Up,year after year. Now they are going away from Press Fit. Had problem’s did you?
Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
I enjoy your ramblings, and it makes me feel like I swear too much just that bit less, thanks.

He said Kona sorta fucked his design up a bit as he wasn't allowed to do exactly what he wanted and the redesign hurt the performance.
Something like that anyway.
Good,I’m glad you like my ramblings. They will continue my Brother.

Brian will remember me,not as Avy,as Dog. That is what they all call me. I sent him a message. I cannot believe I found him right fuckin here,where I have always been. Just reading away,looking at shot’s of Dog’s and tryin to put the Dog to the Monkey Handle. I was reading this thread and said,”Hold It”! Is that Brian? It was a really cool.

I swear,you all remember how much shit Folks gave him on mtbr(you know,”the other site”) for his Brake Thearpy? Member? Now I read here you all were brutal with him on the Kona? I missed that,I would have not forgotten. Nice to see a Monkey step up and have kind words to Brian.He has his own Spot in the Bike History if you ask me.

My Only Regret is that I did not buy his carbon fiber rod on the Two Set’s I Bought. Fuckin Fuck. It was Big Money,the Carbon Rod was not cheap,can’t member now? Extra 225? It was so beatiful though. How I yearn.
Avy

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
Press Fit is King. However in the Bike World,it is Garbage. All Marketing BullShit. The Reason for it being Garbarge is the Tolerance of the Whole Bike Industry. There are Standards tobe met with you’re 12,000 bike press fit BB. These standard’s are Never met, and yet we slop it All Up,year after year. Now they are going away from Press Fit. Had problem’s did you?
Avy
One of two bikes I had with PF creaked here and there. No issues with 73 bsa.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
One of two bikes I had with PF creaked here and there. No issues with 73 bsa.
Good for you,I’m Happy for you. IMHO you are Lucky. The Carbon Mold World is Garbage in the Bike World,as well as Road. I dare say Road is worse.

I want to ask permission to a tweak question on this thread. Can we ask “whatever happened to” a Human,instead of a Company? I have so many.
I thought it would be very interesting.
Avy

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Permission?
Since when has any Ridemonkey thread NOT veered off the main subject?

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
Dave Watson,the FreeRider. I found little tid bits here and there,but it is all old news.
Avy
a buddy used to work @ sombrio HQ for a bit; this piqued my curiosity as dave (sombrio founder) has been off the radar for a bit. seems he sold out to dorel (& most likely made some decent bank in the process), and is now ceo of this local e-gizmo company:

https://veemo.ca/