Quantcast

where's the Bromont 2009 thread?!

mgy

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
Morrison
Echoing this post.

I pretty much do not watch, listen, care about 4x...but stoked for this kid. Kinda bummed there is not a 17yr old american kid killing it on the DH, but I will take Gwin for that.
Don't worry Mitch kills it in Downhill too, I started coaching him in December. Last year was his first year racing DH and he really didn't know how to corner and he never finished a race. This year he won the Jr. Cat 1 National downhill championship and wanted to race downhill at the Canada World Cups but didn't have a pro dh license.

Amazed to see Gwin doing so well! Yes, he trains with James Wilson who is a very knowledgeable strength coach. James was/is kind enough to give away a lot of great free info on strength training but all the posters here chased him away.

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
2. I don't think Gwin is riding clipless. Anyone have a pic of his bikes pedals? I'm pretty sure he's running 5.10 resoles on a set of Shimano freeride shoes. A pic in Decline or Dirt a few months ago showed it plain as day.
the shoes that Gwin was using in MSA and Bromont were Shimano DX clipless shoes, it wouldn't make any sense to re-sole them with Stealth rubber, the new Shimano freeride shoes are a different style totally...(i.e.)

and

when he does run flats he wears 5.10's. From what I have seen anyway.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Don't worry Mitch kills it in Downhill too, I started coaching him in December. Last year was his first year racing DH and he really didn't know how to corner and he never finished a race. This year he won the Jr. Cat 1 National downhill championship and wanted to race downhill at the Canada World Cups but didn't have a pro dh license.

Amazed to see Gwin doing so well! Yes, he trains with James Wilson who is a very knowledgeable strength coach. James was/is kind enough to give away a lot of great free info on strength training but all the posters here chased him away.
good to know about Mitch, thanks for info and good luck to him and all of you involved.

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
the shoes that Gwin was using in MSA and Bromont were Shimano DX clipless shoes, it wouldn't make any sense to re-sole them with Stealth rubber, the new Shimano freeride shoes are a different style totally...(i.e.)

and

when he does run flats he wears 5.10's. From what I have seen anyway.
Just to clear this up, last year when Gwin ran flat pedals he did run the Shimano MP56 Dx flat pedal show with a 5.10 resole. Not the MP66! Now he is however running the MP66 SPD show with SPD pedals. He's made the switch fulltime it seems.

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
What is the deal with Gwin and Blenky no longer wearing leatt braces? In the past 3 yeti videos Gwin has been riding without one.

A shame too, as I only bought one to be cool. I guess I'll have to stop using it, get my ears pierced, and ride gloveless!! :D

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Not sure I like Vital. Two gripes:

1) if you re-open a feature and know you want to look at a pic near the end again, it takes ages to scroll through them

2) when the audio starts you've no idea if it's going to be 5 seconds or 5 minutes - an indicator would be nice.

(I do, oddly, quite like the background music, which I'm sure I SHOULD find really annoying :D)

Last edited:

Carnaza

Monkey
Aug 10, 2006
Santiago, Chile
Not sure I like Vital. Two gripes:

1) if you re-open a feature and know you want to look at a pic near the end again, it takes ages to scroll through them

2) when the audio starts you've no idea if it's going to be 5 seconds or 5 minutes - an indicator would be nice.

(I do, oddly, quite like the background music, which I'm sure I SHOULD find really annoying :D)
yeah i second that

i`d prefer to have the OPTION to listen the interview...sometimes you just wanna check the photos.... i know you can turn down the volume... but the audio makes the process much slower...

anyway the pics are awesome as always...

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Exactly, if I'm honest, I never listened to the audio on litter. I kinda knew it was sometimes there, but I never bothered to look for it to listen to it. In a way Vital is better, as it forces me to listen, and although I'm reluctant, I mostly enjoy when I do... but it's just not done quite right.

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
I love the setup of vitalmtb, the story it tells is exceptional, it really gets across a good overall experience as best as possible for people who are not able to get to the races. along with the coverage from Dirt TV and freecaster, what more could you want? IMO

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
What is the deal with Gwin and Blenky no longer wearing leatt braces? In the past 3 yeti videos Gwin has been riding without one.

A shame too, as I only bought one to be cool. I guess I'll have to stop using it, get my ears pierced, and ride gloveless!! :D
not sure about gwin, but heard that blinky broke his the first day in MSA

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Those are sunline bars. They just did some special ones for the team in black.
They were available for purchase for a limited time a while back. The shop I work at stocked several. They sold quick. Sunline hasn't got the memo that everyone wants black, not grey.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Awesome job for the american boys.

I'm stoked for "the kid". I feel cool telling people that he rode in my truck for a few shuttle runs pre season. "The kid" is going to be a super star pretty damn quick.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Nico Vink was at both WC's in Canada. 31st at MSA and failed to qualify in Bromont.I respect guys like him and Wyn Masters doing it on their own

Last edited:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
The first photo of Kyle's crash there is epic, absolutely perfectly timed for maximum pringleness :)

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Nico Vink was at both WC's in Canada. 31st at MSA and failed to qualify in Bromont.I respect guys like him and Wyn Masters doing it on their own
Nico had a pretty good team until last year, quite an XC orientated team from Belgium but a team with support nontheless. As for Wyn, this season he has had a great support fom his team here in Europe, they just couldn't afford to send him to Canada.

Pretty much all the guys outside of top 20 (with the exception of some guys who finish outside the top 20 regularly but who are on a GOOD team) do all the WC's on their own back, it's just the media focus in on a couple of people, Wyn particulary, to show the privateer spirit. The focus on Wyn has a lot to do with his wit and rough as balls luck and loose bike riding.