Quantcast

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Germans looked spot on. Klose needs 2 goals to pass Ronaldo as all time scorer. The cup and the record would be awesome.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
<edit> Messi is damn good, but he and Tevez are not going to beat Germany alone.
I don't follow club soccer, but really wonder why everyone thinks Messi is gods gift to football. Excuse the fact that he is from Argentina, but from what I've seen, he can dribble forward - yes, he can hold the ball while doing so, but generally, he's less effective than most others I've seen out there on the pitch.

Today was no exception - please why is this idea continually perpetuated?

Pete..

Monkey
Feb 11, 2009
Santa Cruz
As much as I love Argentinian soccer, I really hated the national team this year. I freaking hate Maradona with a passion. They were destined to fail with his 'coaching'.

Batman

Monkey
May 20, 2002
Mississauga
What a demonstration by Germany. Really really good dynamic and confidence on the team. They move the ball up the pitch and counter soooo quickly. Clearly had a better gameplan...but that's no surprise with Maradonna behind the wheel for Argentina, what a joke that guy is.

And yes, Messi is that good, but him and Tevez can't do everything for the team.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I don't follow club soccer, but really wonder why everyone thinks Messi is gods gift to football. Excuse the fact that he is from Argentina, but from what I've seen, he can dribble forward - yes, he can hold the ball while doing so, but generally, he's less effective than most others I've seen out there on the pitch.

Today was no exception - please why is this idea continually perpetuated?
You could easily say the same about Ronaldo based on his performance, or Drogba for that matter (but he did break his arm a week before the group started).

I have seen Messi do some amazing stuff at the club level. I think Argentina proved that they were good enough on skill alone to get as far as they did. But without a coach, they wouldn't beat a team like Germany who is firing on all cylinders. Maradona isn't a coach, he was a figurehead to spark some enthusiasm.

It makes me appreciate team like NZ who come to play with heart for their country.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
You could easily say the same about Ronaldo based on his performance, or Drogba for that matter (but he did break his arm a week before the group started).

I have seen Messi do some amazing stuff at the club level. I think Argentina proved that they were good enough on skill alone to get as far as they did. But without a coach, they wouldn't beat a team like Germany who is firing on all cylinders. Maradona isn't a coach, he was a figurehead to spark some enthusiasm.

It makes me appreciate team like NZ who come to play with heart for their country.
FWIW, I don't know what the love affair with Christian Ronaldo is either... never seen him do anything, ever... except a few leg overs. As for Drogba, he certainly played better than either of those other two... with a broken arm.

conor

Monkey
Jan 19, 2009
Ireland
FWIW, I don't know what the love affair with Christian Ronaldo is either... never seen him do anything, ever... except a few leg overs. As for Drogba, he certainly played better than either of those other two... with a broken arm.
do you watch football at all or are you just randomly commenting on things? how in the name of god can you think that the two best players in the world are 'nothing special'...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
do you watch football at all or are you just randomly commenting on things? how in the name of god can you think that the two best players in the world are 'nothing special'...
I watch football and have been for the last 20+ years. I don't watch club football (as I said above) so what I'm saying is based entirely on world cup and u20, etc tournaments. And yes, I'll say it again - those two players... I don't what see what makes people regard them as the best in the world. As far as I can tell, they have good ball skills and are quick. Don't see anything else... oh yeah, they come off as absolute jerks. Their performances in this WC didn't help improve that impression in my mind.

Last edited:

conor

Monkey
Jan 19, 2009
Ireland
messi isn't a jerk, ronaldo is a bit of a ponce and a diver but if you saw them playing for their club, especially when ronaldo was at united, you would understand. i'm not being a dickhead because i understand it's probably much harder to catch games in us/canada, i love basketball but never get to see it here in ireland so it's kind of the same thing, i'm just sayin you can't question their talents from the most random world cup in a long time where no big players have really stepped it up apart from the germans and villa.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'm a Drogba fan, he has the golden boot for a reason and I wish he would have been 100%. It would have been a very different tournament with a strong Ivory Coast.

I don't argue that Messi is #1, Ronaldo is #2, but when push comes to shove for their country, they were a no show. But overall the level of play for the lesser known players has been so worth watching. That and the systematic dismantling of defenses by the Germans. :fans:

conor

Monkey
Jan 19, 2009
Ireland
the problem is that portugal aren't that great of a team so no one else is really on ronaldo's level and messi did play quite well but you can't really have as much of the ball when tevez and higuain are beside you and you have to track back to make up for your distastrous defenders every two minutes.

drogba is great but is another whiney bitch and up until very recently would go down upon sight of another player even though he is strong as a mother****er.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Messi and Ronaldo are studs, no doubt. But what you 2 are neglecting is the fact that there are 10 other guys on the pitch along with those guys. And a coach who preaches a system that may or may not be superior the other teams. It takes a team...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Hmm... well, I guess I have to watch club football to understand then.

It seems to me that these titles have slanted in the direction of club play and away from international performance (which has traditionally been the measure of top play/quality).

I wonder who will be the "top" footballers next year.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Messi and Ronaldo are studs, no doubt. But what you 2 are neglecting is the fact that there are 10 other guys on the pitch along with those guys. And a coach who preaches a system that may or may not be superior the other teams. It takes a team...
That was my point earlier. Argentina cold have done far better had they left the clown at home and brought a coach. Germany plays like a team, happens to have some serious ballers, and a bright coach. You bet be on game to have a chance in hell.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
That was my point earlier. Argentina cold have done far better had they left the clown at home and brought a coach. Germany plays like a team, happens to have some serious ballers, and a bright coach. You bet be on game to have a chance in hell.
Was I the only one who said this before the tournament? When I heard it announced, I laughed.

Who thinks Messi or Ronaldo will be world footballers of the year next time round? :D:rofl:

conor

Monkey
Jan 19, 2009
Ireland
Hmm... well, I guess I have to watch club football to understand then.

It seems to me that these titles have slanted in the direction of club play and away from international performance (which has traditionally been the measure of top play/quality).

I wonder who will be the "top" footballers next year.
it's only logical, how would it be fair to choose a footballer of the year based on international play in years when there is no world cup? basing their choice off ****ty friendlies? it makes much more sense to base it off of club performance where you get to see them playing 50-60 matches in that year.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Had the Argentines won, people would be praising Diego as the greatest player and mind the game has ever seen. But when they lost, he is a clown again, take your two watches and sidleine antics back to Buneos Aires. So much for the hand of God.

I have enjoyed his back and forth with Pele though. Pele is a true legend of the game...leaves a much more solid, positive legacy, relatively free of controversy. And he was bangin Xuxa...

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
That was my point earlier. Argentina cold have done far better had they left the clown at home and brought a coach.
they could have done better if they brought a Defense instead of a coach.

no one was able to capitalize on their lack of D until Germany destroyed them.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Had the Argentines won, people would be praising Diego as the greatest player and mind the game has ever seen. But when they lost, he is a clown again, take your two watches and sidleine antics back to Buneos Aires.
I've been calling him a clown the whole time. Brilliant player? Yes. Basket case? For sure.

conor

Monkey
Jan 19, 2009
Ireland
nobody would have changed their minds about maradonna, he is an absolute managerial retard. he left out two of the best defensive players in the world who both won the champions league this year. him being manager was just a huge publicity stunt really.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Maradona says top players suck because they aren't selfish enough on the world stage. :panic:

&#8220;Today the players are more collective, more team players,&#8221; the Argentina coach said after his own star-studded team was bounced from the World Cup. &#8220;They want to do everything with their teammates. It is a different type of game right now.&#8221;