Quantcast

Senorfrog

Chimp
Dec 29, 2009
My personal hated trend: road biking. It should only be legal to ride in bike lanes or on roads with a shoulder more than 4ft wide. Those spandex dickheads should have to do what us MTB guys do, load your bike onto the car and go to the riding spot. I mean really, when it comes down to it even though they have the legal right (for now) to ride wherever they want but they are effectively saying "my hobby is more important than everybody else's safety". Its one thing to ride in the city but I live out in the country (windy narrow roads with tons of blind turns) and I cannot tell you how many times Ive almost been killed by other motorists passing them. There is no way your REALLY gonna be able to get motorists to accept that they have to go 10mph for the entire road until they can pass the road-nerds in a safer place and when it comes down to it the motorists will probably walk away from the accident whereas the cyclists probably will be taking an ambo ride.

More realistically:
1. Derailleur Hangers- the industry needs to decide on a single ****ing already. Its not like its that integral to the bike design and im tired of having to read the tiny print in the catalog ordering them. I mean at least decide on less than 50 different designs haha.

2. Quick releases- anybody that has worked at a shop can tell you how many people just do not understand that tight means TIGHT, not so loose I can easily pull your wheel out of the dropouts without disengaging the QR. All bikes should have thru axels, much safer and easier to explain to people with only marginal if any weight increase.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
My personal hated trend: road biking. It should only be legal to ride in bike lanes or on roads with a shoulder more than 4ft wide. Those spandex dickheads should have to do what us MTB guys do, load your bike onto the car and go to the riding spot. I mean really, when it comes down to it even though they have the legal right (for now) to ride wherever they want but they are effectively saying "my hobby is more important than everybody else's safety". Its one thing to ride in the city but I live out in the country (windy narrow roads with tons of blind turns) and I cannot tell you how many times Ive almost been killed by other motorists passing them. There is no way your REALLY gonna be able to get motorists to accept that they have to go 10mph for the entire road until they can pass the road-nerds in a safer place and when it comes down to it the motorists will probably walk away from the accident whereas the cyclists probably will be taking an ambo ride.

More realistically:
1. Derailleur Hangers- the industry needs to decide on a single ****ing already. Its not like its that integral to the bike design and im tired of having to read the tiny print in the catalog ordering them. I mean at least decide on less than 50 different designs haha.

2. Quick releases- anybody that has worked at a shop can tell you how many people just do not understand that tight means TIGHT, not so loose I can easily pull your wheel out of the dropouts without disengaging the QR. All bikes should have thru axels, much safer and easier to explain to people with only marginal if any weight increase.
so where should road cyclist ride if not on the road? honestly, i've never heard of "riding spots" for road cyclists??!! :confused:

i start 95% of my rides (both XC and road) directly from home. driving my car to go cycling is completely absurd IMHO, except for DH riding as most people don't have a DH track in their backyards.

but i agree on your stand towards derailleur hangers and QR.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
My personal hated trend: road biking.

More realistically:
1. Derailleur Hangers

2. Quick releases
In a word, NO.

Road biking is great. I can get on my bike and go for a 20 miler without having to drive 20 miles first. There are some great, secluded and empty roads right out my front door. That's awesome. The nearest decent XC trail is a minimum 10 minute drive with no traffic. The problem is rarely with road bikers, it's with drivers who are either too impatient to wait 30 seconds for a safe place to pass or can't understand that you don't need to give 15ft of berth to a cyclist every time you pass one... I've just discovered road biking after 14 years as a MTBer and I LOVE it. I can go ride anytime I want to.

I'll agree with you on derailleur hangers, to a point. Everybody seems to have the best idea ever omg for a different hanger, but certainly some have better applications than others. Maybe __ will come up with a new standard standard and everybody will love him for it until he comes out with the next new standard.

Quick releases are fine. It's baffling to me how many people complain about these things but they can't figure them out nor groove the benefits of a significantly more complicated system.

On that note, QR15, QR20, 9x143mm, 12x160, 15x150, 20x135, etc....

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

More realistically:

About roadies taking up the whole road, I don't like the dependence that mountain bikers have on their cars. While I have driven to road rides, a lot of my rides start from my doorstep.

As for motorist safety in passing, is always your responsibility to pass safely, whether it is riders, a tractor, or any slow moving vehicle.

Frankly, I only know this from the rider perspective. I have never passed more than 3 cyclists at a time. Maybe I will try to drive cross town tonight during Critical Mass to feel the frustration.

Also, I am very nervous about suggesting locknuts for bikes. In NJ, they tried to legislate it for all bikes, including high end road bikes.

Senorfrog

Chimp
Dec 29, 2009
When I say "road biking spots" I mean designated paved bike paths and places where it is safe to ride. It sucks to hear but I really do think its necessary. When it comes down it it, motorists will always be idiots when cyclists are involved, people just SUCK with operating motor vehicles in the US and it unlikely to change anytime soon. Even though it is completely the motorists fault for these issues; like i said before, when there is an accident the motorist will still have all their bones/skin intact. Well unless (like the other day) some idiot is trying to pass a bike with the usual 15' of clearance and almost runs head on into me at like 50mph.... In the city its one thing, there are more cyclists, cars are not going as fast (in most cases bikes are faster in the city), and there are wide shoulders/bike lanes to ride on. However, this is definitely not the case in all areas and in some spots its just sketchy to ride yet people still insist on doing it despite the danger to everyone.

A bout the qr, I know that TA's can be more complicated but only slightly so. Especially ones that screw into the other side of the dropout so that way even if they aren't properly tight they still won't fall out nearly as easily. Remember that most people that ride don't even know how to change a flat tire let alone know what is sketchy vs safe in terms of components.

Last edited:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Rootbeer. Flex. Shimz. Tripple-clamps. Gazzi 3.0s. Brett Tippie.

Senorfrog

Chimp
Dec 29, 2009
Haha i totally don't mean to just totally bash roadies.... im just trying to bring another perspective. and whats wrong with root beer?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
When I say "road biking spots" I mean designated paved bike paths and places where it is safe to ride. It sucks to hear but I really do think its necessary. When it comes down it it, motorists will always be idiots when cyclists are involved, people just SUCK with operating motor vehicles in the US and it unlikely to change anytime soon. Even though it is completely the motorists fault for these issues; like i said before, when there is an accident the motorist will still have all their bones/skin intact. Well unless (like the other day) some idiot is trying to pass a bike with the usual 15' of clearance and almost runs head on into me at like 50mph.... In the city its one thing, there are more cyclists, cars are not going as fast (in most cases bikes are faster in the city), and there are wide shoulders/bike lanes to ride on. However, this is definitely not the case in all areas and in some spots its just sketchy to ride yet people still insist on doing it despite the danger to everyone.
Yesterday I rode from my San Francisco to my job in Sunnyvale. It was 45 miles, and about 15 miles of trail. The rest were city streets.

I only had one scare, a Harley rider who cut me off in the bike lane to get to the donut shop, where two cops were sitting outside. Otherwise, I was passed by every possible vehicle on the road. I also rode thru 2 airports and a marina.

I know what you are saying. There is a ride on Skyline Road in the San Mateo mountains which I won't go on because without a shoulder, it looks very sketchy to me. But I can ride it, I just rather not.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Aluminum. Sure it's a light strong metal. But do you have to make everything out of it? I personally use brass nipples just because they are heavier.....

aanon

Chimp
Nov 21, 2008
south oz
3' high kids with 3' wide bars.
Girvin flexstems.
Elastomer suspension.
Those chintzy ''Kawasaki'' branded wannabe mtb's (would Honda do that?)
Long stems.
Narrow bars.
Northshore woodwork above perfectly good dirt.
Shimano Integrated braking/shifting levers.
Some of the above may not be ''trends'' but just crap products, either way, none are good.