Quantcast

Wtf?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
MRP to unveil the all-new G2 Chain Guide at Crankworx

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

GRAND JUNCTION, CO -- MRP, the long time pioneer in chain guide design has raised the bar for 2008 with the planned October release of the patented G2 chain guide system. The G2 will be the first model to go into production utilizing MRP’s patented integrated chainguide/bash guard technology.

The G2 showcases a fully integrated skid plate, boomerang, and lower guide design never before seen on a bicycle. The result is a no-compromise guide that is light enough for the most weight conscious racers without sacrificing chain retention, rigidity, or protection of the chain and chainring.

G2 Features:

·Patented Integrated Skid Plate Design
·260 grams complete, including all hardware
·5mm thick CNC Alloy Boomerang with weight-optimized reliefs
·13mm thick replaceable polycarbonate Skid w/full boomerang support
·3-point attachment of Skid to Boomerang
·Derailleur cage style upper guide providing full chain enclosure

·Integrated Skid/Lower Guide including sealed bearing pulley wheel
·Enhanced Lower Guide rigidity and protection
·Front-access, single-bolt positioning of Upper and Lower Guide
·Low profile installation compatible with wide range of chain lines
·Available in ISCG or ISCG ’05 mounting standards
·36-40 tooth capacity

G2 Benefits:

·Low weight
·More Protection
·Skid resides 2mm inboard of chainring for the same amount of protection as a traditional bash ring, with less than half the weight!
·Skid adds structural integrity to boomerang, and provides inside lower guide surface
·Seamless transition when sliding over rocks and obstacles
·Transfers energy from impacts into the strongest part of the frame, instead of to the bottom bracket bearings and crank spider. No more bent spiders!
·Easy to install and adjust
·Minimized chance of crunching the lower guide

source: Ryan Cranston, www.mrpbike.com
:disgust1:

juk_lano

Chimp
Jun 27, 2007
Well e.13 should have made something like this so0ner! I mean adding a taco option shouldn't be that hard when you already have a product that riders love.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
ya, e.13 is way better still. .
WHY?
MRP holds more podiums and was the originator of the chain guide from even before Palmer. HMMM! A device to hold the chain in place and keep it from flying off, that about sums up all chain guides and they started with MRP.
I run a Gamut, had a MRP and the E-13 of these 3 brands they are all on par and are all great products.
I would rock the MRP G2 its a good idea having a partial bash.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
Uhh...why is this in any way upsetting? What did MRP do wrong? There aren't even pics available yet and everybody is blasting the design as a rip off (except bc)?

To this day I scratch my head every time I hear a smart person get zealous about E13 guides. They are good, functional guides. They are unforgivably heavy to me, but a well made part reguardless.

Mr Ridiculous

Margarita my slippers
Apr 21, 2006
Morgantown, WV
Just to play devil's advocate, how much dissimilar can a chainguide be? Back when it was just the old MRP sandwich guide, everybody hated it because it was complicated, and had the consistency of play-doh. Would it be better if they went back to that?

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
(with the top piece changed) ?

You need full new LG-1 plastics and bolt kit to convert an SRS to an LG-1, this includes a new bottom plastic. Since the Supercharger is a part of the guide system on the SRS, the LG-1 needs to compensate for that in both the upper and lower plastics.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
You've gotta be kidding me...

The system 3, that was one thing, the raceface guide? another. This is pretty ridiculous. LOL!

We'll let the patent lawyers figure it out when the time comes. There are more than one patent in the queue for e.thirteen.

Rob Munro

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
You've gotta be kidding me...

The system 3, that was one thing, the raceface guide? another. This is pretty ridiculous. LOL!

We'll let the patent lawyers figure it out when the time comes. There are more than one patent in the queue for e13 on this design.
I would hope someone at MRP investigated this before they developed and launched the G2.

I like it. MRP makes quality stuff, it gives us more options, and encourages price competition. Aside from an emotional tie to e.13, I don't see the downside.

blackspire

Monkey
Jul 19, 2007
Uhh...why is this in any way upsetting? What did MRP do wrong? There aren't even pics available yet and everybody is blasting the design as a rip off (except bc)?

To this day I scratch my head every time I hear a smart person get zealous about E13 guides. They are good, functional guides. They are unforgivably heavy to me, but a well made part reguardless.
I also think it's quite interesting, take Blackspire for example there chain guides use the same principle as some of e13, just a little diffrent. I don't know who was first but that's how it works. Same with almost all other products. Just look at the other parts out there, bars, wheels, cassetes, derailleurs they all look pretty much the same.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I saw a guy rocking a plastic half bash on a bmx bike in '97. He hacked his kink grindguard (the first lexan chainguard I remember seeing) in half with a hand saw.

It's not a new idea, but it's a good idea for them to make one. The press release makes it sound like they are reinventing something because that's what press releases are meant to do, hype things up.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I still like the MRP and will rock it when available. To all quit your complaining. Dude mcdonalds didnt invent the burger and burger king ripped off the idea of a patty in a bun thing.
People will roll with good ideas, its called industry and this is what fuels further innovations and changes. When everyone catches up its time to set a new bar heigth and this is how we move forward in all industries. So it bebifits all of us. If nobody copied others we'd all be riding tires that are solid foam.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
ok I agree it looks like MRP has ripped off E13's product but seriously...this happens everyday in all types of industry so why is everyone so surprised???...D

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
What's that, ripoff and duplication? Guys like Dave are what fuel innovation, not the copycats trying to cash in on someone else's real R&D.
Like you said, he fuels innovation, and in this case he inspired MRP to improve upon this existing design. It's not like e.13 didn't have sufficient time to do the same, they just chose not to.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
What's that, ripoff and duplication? Guys like Dave are what fuel innovation, not the copycats trying to cash in on someone else's real R&D.
Cars, planes, pencils, toothbrushes, hats, your shoes, etc... Because of these things bad or good we all pay less for better innovations and safety devices as well as conveinences in everday life. I dont disagrea that it looks like an E13 but then again RF's looks like someone elses as well. I like alot of people in this world but the same rule applies to all CYA (cover your a_s) in business with patents etc... Expect a good product to be copied and never fail to look to future improvements and the future of the product and the companys well being.
Home Depot does it all the time with there line of stuff, Target now does it and so on. I feel no anomosity towards MRP or any of them, bottom line is there is another player in the market.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
To all quit your complaining. Dude mcdonalds didnt invent the burger and burger king ripped off the idea of a patty in a bun thing.
Someday I would like to write a detailed tutorial on how to make a proper comparison.

edit: so as not to come off quite so snarky (it wasn't intended as such), I just want to clarify: ripping off new-to-the-market innovation is a lot different than simply being another producer/distributor of a long standing commodity.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'm with Bullcrew. MRP (granted, under different ownership) basically invented the chainguide. Before that we were all ghettoing front derailleurs and sandwhiching chainrings between plates of alluminium. Several years later and e-13 come along and decide that the basic design can be improved with some tweaks and different materials.

Now we criticise MRP for doing the same thing? Put down the DW kool-aid guys...

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I'm with Bullcrew. MRP (granted, under different ownership) basically invented the chainguide. Before that we were all ghettoing front derailleurs and sandwhiching chainrings between plates of alluminium. Several years later and e-13 come along and decide that the basic design can be improved with some tweaks and different materials.

Now we criticise MRP for doing the same thing? Put down the DW kool-aid guys...
Ted, have you seen an LG1? I would argue that the e.thirteen product was a lot more than "some tweaks and different materials" compared to the original MRP. This mrp guide is a pretty obviously inspired by an LG1, wheras the SRS and old MRP similarities ended with the fact that they were both marketed as chain devices.

I don't think that the SRS could have been more of a departure from the MRP design. It was manufactured and assembled drastically differently, its mud clearance greatly improved, heck, the polycarbonate bashguard that we introduced to the industry in 2000 is now offered in some form or another by every drivetrain manufacturer in existence. In addition, the e13 design offered drastically improved chainline, less noise, improved reliability, and higher strength for the same weight. Here's a partial list of the innovations that the SRS brought to the table over the original MRP.

polycarbonate bashguard
adjustable sliders from outside (captive fasteners)
narrow chainline capability
one model fits many bikes without modification
composite sliders instead of side plates
co-molded soft durometer idler instead of a roller

I am all for innovation, I applaud it and seek it out, I live for it. When someone makes something new and cool I am usually the first one to point it out and give a standing O. Right now I feel like someone stole the car stereo from our truck or something, but luckily we have insurance...

Anyways, I respect your thoughts on this Ted, just wanted to give you my perspective.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
If i recall you didnt deem the half boomerang enough intrest to release a few years back. They did and granted the device is similair (extremely) but none the less I wouldnt have gotten your lg1 I could have opted it at any time but no protection wasnt for me. They opted to have a similair device with some protection and weight savings so I now OPT. Had you come out and put it on the table Id be on it but instead they decided to and thats were my business will go. Its first on the table scenario for me, I just bought an iphone (8gb) based on the first on the table scenario.
I dont knock the fact that E13 has had some innovative designs I have had 3 of your systems du to this. Then Gamut came out and IMO improved and shaved weight on your design then the lg1 which like I said was great except for the no protection.
MRP's is close and offers protection to me thats perfect. If you have an e-13 LG1 36th with half bash ready to roll then Id go that route.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Says they've got a "Patented integrated bashplate design". Does this change things for you DW, were you guys planning on releasing an OK for consumers taco?
Saying that you have a "patented integrated bashplate design" and actually having one are two different things. MRP purchased a patent from Simple Minds Tech that alleges to cover "semi circumferential bashguards". The validity and scope of this patent is very much in question, enough so that e.thirteen passed up the opportunity to pursue purchase of the patent from the original owner. In no place does this patent claim the integration of these bashguards into chain retention systems. I believe that MRP is falsely claiming patent to the technology shown in this product. I think that anyone well versed in patent law would find merit in that statement, and I know that at least one other drivetrain manufacturer shares that sentiment.

e.thirteen has been planning the release of new patent pending technologies in this area for some time. Patents have been applied for well over a year, including technology planned for an LG1 replacement. Our "taco" design has been in production on the OEM market for some time, and will see aftermarket sale this year. I know that I have talked about this here before, but e.thirteen has a new bashguard technology that will be unveiled soon. This has been the most significant reason why we have delayed the sale of a production "taco".

To answer your question directly, the existence of this product from MRP has zero impact on the direction of the e.thirteen product line, and I think reinforces e.thirteen's position as the leading innovator in this market. I expect that e.thirteen will be the sole holder of intellectual property in this area in several years time. We are going to keep doing what we do until then.

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
I've invented the Ligth chainguide before you all ripoffers.:biggrin:
You all know (MRP and E13) and own me moral royalties:huh: