bneall
kazlx
abstrakt51 (50/50)

monday BB/SS
mandown
bullcrew
schwinnstr8 ???

map to MtW for the greenhorns
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=&daddr=34.193985,-118.168087&mra=mi&mrsp=0&sz=14&sll=34.193843,-118.168173&sspn=0.051329,0.079994&ie=UTF8&z=14

8am meeting time at that location. there is a parking lot on windsor ave right where it turns right into ventura ave (the parking lot is on the left). the lot is usually full, so many of us park on mountain view street (the right one block before ventura). pm or call w/ questions.

rwilder

Chimp
May 8, 2008
Hollywood, CA
just curious, I've never been to Wilson ... where do you loop around? All the way to the observatory? Then down to the street and take the pavement back?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
it takes a few hours by the time all is said and done with the shuttle up, the ride down and the return shuttle vehicle pickup. it all depends on the number of idiots on the ride. more peeps = more mechanicals and more time. 2 hours of ride time for a good quick run with minimal problems.

yeah, there are some life-taker drop-offs. we've seen peeps go over the edge and survive, but poop their pants in the process. the upper portion is where the gnar is. the lower portion has you dodging hikers.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Is the MW ride a DH or Trail bike thingie?
Is the group going getting too big? I'm a 30/70.
depends on how aggro u r. trail bikes are good on it. there are some DH-ish sections, but mostly solid single track. since it is pointed down, lotsa dudes bring the pig bikes to let graity help. i used to do it on a hardtail and not be much slower over most of the sections (overtheedge is always on the HT and faster than everybody anyway). there are some pedal sections uphill too.

the group is at a good size now (assuming the maybe guys do show). with bullcrew and overtheedge, we've got enough truckspace (once we hit 9, things get crowded) to get peeps to the top of the hill (tip em some gas money at these prices kidz). i'd say we are at about capacity. your presence will not be a a deal breaker. the krew that is running so far is quick.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Exactly why I'm weighing my options. My stamina/strength leaves a lot to be desired. Plus, Bullcrew is a pervert and may attempt to do "things" to me on the way up the mtn.
Have you not ridden up there before? I have only been up once and I broke the rear der on my Gran Mal and still managed to keep up. There really isn't that much pedaling. I personally think big hit bikes are too up there, more in the sense it would be more fun/challenging on a snappy bike. I am looking forward to rockin the Balance this weekend.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Have you not ridden up there before? I have only been up once and I broke the rear der on my Gran Mal and still managed to keep up. There really isn't that much pedaling. I personally think big hit bikes are too up there, more in the sense it would be more fun/challenging on a snappy bike. I am looking forward to rockin the Balance this weekend.
Big bike and a tire tapping good time! :D
A good game of tag on the way down tap a tire to make that person it starting from the top!:monkeydance:

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
I just remember a fun little hike in the beginning, another fun hike after the ruins, and an outstanding hike before El Prieto...not to mention El Prieto having its rollercoaster moments. I'm tired just thinking about it.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
There a couple of hike a bike sections, but it was a pretty good ride. Anyone from close to Irvine/Tustin area that wants to carpool?

Ozzer

Monkey
Dec 21, 2003
Life Ends at 619
The group is quick...I'll sit out then. I'm fat and slow.

i've ridden most if not all of the trails there (used to live in burbank). I've ridden my DH bikes there just fine.

I may just stay local. Don't want to drive too far twice on one weekend. Have fun boys

rwilder

Chimp
May 8, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Ozzer, I'm thinking of going to Wilson around 2pm saturday. I'm slow too. (Learnin to go fast.) ... I've never been to Wilson. I just wanted to check it out. Shuttle?

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
Anyone free to ride Tues the 27th? Its my birthday so I'm taking the day off to ride. Was thinking of doing the loop but if someone wants to shuttle I'd love to break the Wilson in a bit more.