Quantcast

xc ride...... dh style. (Saturday 1/13)

schwinnstr8

Monkey
Aug 21, 2002
East Los
As for SS on Monday...will they let me on with my VPX w/ a chainguide?

T, What are you going to be riding up there? What time are you guys planning to be at SS?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
if ozzer is out, then +1 for w should be OK
bully - we gotta find a meeting spot and time for SS. mountian is open at 9am? i would think the group should get there early and pound it from the start :)

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
goin offline in a bit. no home puter, so contact me by phone for any changes. threeten ninethirteen thirtynine oh two.

bneall, plan to be at my pad by 630monday morning. i'll pm the addy.

Ozzer

Monkey
Dec 21, 2003
Life Ends at 619
the rig I'm putting together prolly won't be finished by tonight. so i prolly am out.

i was hoping to break it in at Wilson for kicks.
if I finish it, I may just show up and hopefully see some old buddies at the lot to hitch a ride up.

grrrrrrrr to UPS..

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
It is currently 34 on the top of Wilson with slush on the ground. I've ridden Wilson numerous times after the rain. You guys should have awesome conditions.

Lower Sunset might be iffy though because of mud.

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
Word on the rough streets of the OC is that SS is going to get 4 inches of snow with temps in the 50s. This should be interesting for us Sunday peeps.

So Bullcrew, you planning on coming up both days and brokeback camping it up for the night?

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
My retirement-from-racing bike. Unless dhmike really wants me to sign up in the Z Class.

ozzer , i was going to ride wilson then i saw you backed out so i made other plans for bootleg . being the good friend that i am do you want to go to bootleg , maybe we can carpool together ?.....your hero , dhmike

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
My retirement-from-racing bike. Unless dhmike really wants me to sign up in the Z Class.

ozzer , i was going to ride wilson then i saw you backed out so i made other plans for bootleg . being the good friend that i am do you want to go to bootleg , maybe we can carpool together ?.....your hero , dhmike
Your just looking for people to shuttle since they quit packing em for the season! :D
Wilsons still a viable option.

Randy Yes Im hitting it both days, personally the snow isnt going to spoil it for me. It'll be like being back in N idaho, we ride in 5 degrees and snow as long as its not huge ice coverings (smacked my dome once :disgust1:, hurts!)

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
Details! Trails must have been perfect after the snow/rain. Any trouble with the bikes?
Driving up through Running Springs, we thought it was going to be a bust. Temps outside were in the low 30's with heavy overcast skies and snow was everywhere. Odd thing was that we were greeted with clear blue skies and not a patch of snow as soon as we crossed the bridge over Big Bear Lake. Righteous.

Trails were spot on today. No mudd, no snow, no ice, just mostly pure grade A packed down Big Bear dirt; the best I've ever ridden it. Weather was in the mid to upper 50's with clear skies for the first part of the day. 2nd half brought thick clouds that hovered over the upper mountain leaving everybody exposed on the lifts with temps in the 30's. Even with the freezing conditions though, it was cool as hell to be swerving and pinning it through the trees in the thick fog. (If you plan on riding tomorrow, bring warm riding clothes. Oh, and an axe too, Darkside needs some work. :) )

Lift ops didnt sweat anybody about their bikes and I also didnt see any full on DH bikes either. It was pretty crowded with more hikers than riders and I would say that 75% of the visitors today were of Asian descent. Hell, there were so many Filipino riders today I thought I was in the hills of Manilla.

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
a log that was a hard right hand corner and you have to pedal up it with dusty tires and its slicker than snot!
It proved to be the funniest part of the day!
Me barely escaping a 50/50
Notice my spiderman cat like reflexes getting aired :D

Bneal

Mandown looking for some termites chicken style goggles to log! :D
Notice his head stuck to the log! I nearly crapped myself with laughter from the other view ahead of him!

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
looks like the log had its way with guys....
I rode it the day before and again today it just turned into a circus of idiots and was funnier than He!!.
We pinned som gnar trails and off camber log drops onto rocky chutes and hucked into some ubernasty steep rocky crap with corners. It was a blalst, but the log was the part that was just straight good humor. Simple and easy but not quite wanting to be ridden! :D