Quantcast

Yet another boring house building thread

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Flaunting wealth shouldnt be a primary concern if you ask me. Im fairly poor though.
It's not a matter of wealth, it's taking a project, making a few tweeks to it and make it appear like you spent more money on it. Changing the style of the main entry probably would have added no more than $5K to the cost to build.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
If would be willing to bet the construction costs are far lower for this house than to build Brian's house as well. I'm sure the construction costs where he lives are much more than around here. This area of NY is the fastest growing area in the state I believe.

We were able to keep costs down with value engineering and competitive bidding throughout the process as well.
My guess that house costs between $375K-$450K to build.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Anybody besides me lost by the "Brian HCM" jokes and wishing they would cease or be explained?

Oh...and that castle fokking rocks. But the tool on tower 2 is braver than I'll ever be. I've ridden some mean roller coasters and never once has my heart been more in the pit of my stomach than looking at those photos...I think I may have gotten e-vertigo...

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Ha if we let the framers/trim guys/plumbers/electricians do the job like they "think" it should be done this house would have been a disaster. Most contractors, even the good ones resist change or something out of the norm.
That's where you can be very wrong. There are a lot of great trades people that can add a lot of custom touches that's not always recognized by the architect. Being in the construction field for over 23 years I've seen a lot. You would not believe how much architects "don't" know. IMO architects should be in the construction trades for at least 4 years before they even pick up a pencil to draw a set of blueprints.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
it looks to me that the architect drew up with the client wanted.... not what was the most architectually pleasing... I know who that goes.

Yeah, the front entry way seems a bit awkward at this point with the over all theme of the house and the 'Tuscan turret" doesnt go with anything else on the house (at least from the limited view i've seen). Is there something else that's Italianate on the rear elevation?

BTW, how long has this thing been under construction??

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Anybody besides me lost by the "Brian HCM" jokes and wishing they would cease or be explained?

Oh...and that castle fokking rocks. But the tool on tower 2 is braver than I'll ever be. I've ridden some mean roller coasters and never once has my heart been more in the pit of my stomach than looking at those photos...I think I may have gotten e-vertigo...
Ha, I was thinking the same thing. Did you catch the note about the stairs/platforms swaying all over the place?

:twitch::twitch:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Ha, I was thinking the same thing. Did you catch the note about the stairs/platforms swaying all over the place?

:twitch::twitch:
yeah...I have no degrees in anything engineering oriented, but by my visual inspection, I would rate the pucker factor 9 out 10.

Oh...and if that thing were in Western NC in 2004, it would be in a river right now. Obviously no threat of tornados in his part of the country.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
yeah-yeah...

How long is the build time on ur lil project there stoshypants?
To long.
We had some delays because the owner didn't want pay for certain big items so we shopped around and changed some details. Also the owners house across the street hasn't sold yet so I wouldn't exactly say we're rushing.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Little building p0rn update...

Drive way to be poured Tues and trimming out the interior starts tomorrow... i'll be glad when the brick front stairs are finished then i can get the columns up.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
well.. it never fails...

we havent had a drop or rain for weeks and now that i'm all set up to pour the driveway it comes a downpour...

f'ing construction....

:disgust1:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
N 8, does it cost alot/time consuming to do plaster walls like that? Or is that some kind of stucco?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
N 8, does it cost alot/time consuming to do plaster walls like that? Or is that some kind of stucco?
it took a guy who knew what he was doing a day and a half to do the dining room & foyer. He used regular sheet rock mud over the sheetrock. His cost was $350.

The faux finish painter spent probably 50-60 hours on it and his cost was $1800.

The owner is moving in today but last nite he had his upstairs home theater working so we watched 300 sitting on camping chairs and drinking ales.

His screen is a 112" and he has a Mitsubishi projector. The viewing distance was about 12-15 ft back from the screen.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I have just picked up 5 more lots to build on for 2008...

I spent $175k on them and I needs to get started now but my plans wont be finished until late next week bastids!!!

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Well... dirt work and forums are set on house #1 for 2008..

Should be a busy year here for us home builders in this section of the country.

Busy year for me as well as MizN 8 says it's time for a new house. Been in this one for 3 1/2 years.

:)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Once we start erecting the metal building on my current job I'll post some pics. Then this will be a boring Commercial Building thread.