Quantcast

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Muricah closing something? Shit is weird here. I know that the everything is closed thing should last long but I don't think people will be patient enough, especially freelancers.

Also anyone who owns blue apron stock - you are one lucky bastard.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Got a phone call this morning from a manager requesting a laptop for one of his employees, to work from home.

Reason? The guy is sick - runny nose, sore throat, the works. The dude is still at work.....I told the manager that you can come pick up the laptop and deliver it yourself, we are not going anywhere near that guy. Just told the IT student to stay the fuck away from him.

FFS. Time to run for the hills.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Actually, there is a federal stockpile. A few problems though.

It's not nearly large enough to handle the needs if/when things go even more sideways.

The logistics of getting the stuff out there are totally FUBARed. Especially since many of the various agencies/departments that deal it have been hamstrung...

MAGA!

They had a small stockpile, then after they used it a decade ago, they didn't bother replacing it. https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/face-masks-in-national-stockpile-have-not-been-substantially-replenished-since-2009/2020/03/10/57e57316-60c9-11ea-8baf-519cedb6ccd9_story.html What they have left they can't manage to distribute, also pretty pathetically ill prepared.

Again, I'm not saying Trump is blameless, my point is that the system is beyond FUBAR, and focusing on Trump may be cathartic, but misses the point IMHO. Our lack of preparedness goes much deeper than having a dipshit for a President.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
They had a small stockpile, then after they used it a decade ago, they didn't bother replacing it. https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/face-masks-in-national-stockpile-have-not-been-substantially-replenished-since-2009/2020/03/10/57e57316-60c9-11ea-8baf-519cedb6ccd9_story.html What they have left they can't manage to distribute, also pretty pathetically ill prepared.

Again, I'm not saying Trump is blameless, my point is that the system is beyond FUBAR, and focusing on Trump may be cathartic, but misses the point IMHO. Our lack of preparedness goes much deeper than having a dipshit for a President.
I get that, it's like the climate wars, we have the science, but people want to deny reality and will only do something when it's too late and they are forced to, rather than take preventative action that might cause a slight difference in their standard of living, but save lives down the road.

That doesn't excuse the responsibility of the commander in chief though, that is the person that should be saying we are/were unprepared and why. It doesn't excuse the absolutely bat-shit-crazy statements like:

February 2: “We pretty much shut it down coming in from China.”
February 24: “The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA… Stock Market starting to look very good to me!”
February 25: “CDC and my Administration are doing a GREAT job of handling Coronavirus.”
February 25: “I think that’s a problem that’s going to go away… They have studied it. They know very much. In fact, we’re very close to a vaccine.”
February 26: “The 15 (cases in the US) within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero.”
February 26: “We’re going very substantially down, not up.”
February 27: “One day it’s like a miracle, it will disappear.”
February 28: “We’re ordering a lot of supplies. We’re ordering a lot of, uh, elements that frankly we wouldn’t be ordering unless it was something like this. But we’re ordering a lot of different elements of medical.”
March 2: “You take a solid flu vaccine, you don’t think that could have an impact, or much of an impact, on corona?”
March 2: “A lot of things are happening, a lot of very exciting things are happening and they’re happening very rapidly.”
March 4: “If we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people that get better just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work — some of them go to work, but they get better.”
If the commander in chief is going to act like this, they deserve all the negative blame we can throw on them.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Cats, no problem. But i would rather die and let the dogs eat my carcass. Dogs are my kids.
One person’s pet is the next person’s dinner. I get not wanting to eat your own pets...but what is and isn’t food is largely arbitrary. It’s no more wrong to eat one species than the other. I have friends that have ducks that are “part of the family”.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
If we haven't submitted the order for "teh Monkey T-shirts" yet :popcorn:there is still time to change the material to vacuum bags* and kill two birds with one stone...

https://mobile.twitter.com/CMichaelGibson
Cambridge scientists tested 0.02 micron Bacteriophage MS2 particles (5 times smaller than the coronavirus) & compared homemade masks made of different materials to surgical masks.

Surgical mask blocks 89%
Vacuum cleaning bag 85%
Dish Towel 73%
T shirt 70%
#macgyvercare

1584631180475.png

*Does this vacuum bag make my ass look big?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
The girls now have no school through at least april 17. My employer just sent out a memo telling everyone about hiring freeze and "generously" offering unpaid leave. Implied is reductions in aircraft and staff. Stock price is down $20 +/-

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
One person’s pet is the next person’s dinner. I get not wanting to eat your own pets...but what is and isn’t food is largely arbitrary. It’s no more wrong to eat one species than the other. I have friends that have ducks that are “part of the family”.
Won't argue with you but still, I'll shoot the first person to threaten my cats.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
That's what got us here in the first place.
The original story about bats is fake. It's mostly the problem of wet markets where many animals are held close together live so the virus can transfer between them freely and mutate. Current theory is that it's Pangolin. Bats were previous Coronavirus (sars or mers)

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
The original story about bats is fake. It's mostly the problem of wet markets where many animals are held close together live so the virus can transfer between them freely and mutate. Current theory is that it's Pangolin. Bats were previous Coronavirus (sars or mers)
Ever been to one of those markets?
They're fucking disgusting, and I'm not a squeamish guy.

VTApe

Monkey
Feb 5, 2005
Vermont

I couldn't agree more. Trump is an idiot, and I'd go so far as to say a worthless human being, as are his flock of morons in the GOP... but this unpreparedness rests on many shoulders, and goes back through both Republican and Democratic administrations. It's also highlighted the repugnant wage inequality, as we as a society rely on folks making below livable wage to keep us fed and able to care for our children. That's not to mention the obvious failings of our for profit healthcare system that will keep sick people from getting the care they require. I hope and pray that this is the wake up call which finally brings systemic change.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
So in North Carolina you have to BUY your senator's ear:

"The luncheon had been organized by the Tar Heel Circle, a nonpartisan group whose membership consists of businesses and organizations in North Carolina, the state Burr represents. Membership to join the Tar Heel Circle costs between $500 and $10,000, and promises that members "enjoy interaction with top leaders and staff from Congress, the administration, and the private sector," according to the group's website."

:disgust1:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
So in North Carolina you have to BUY your senator's ear:

"The luncheon had been organized by the Tar Heel Circle, a nonpartisan group whose membership consists of businesses and organizations in North Carolina, the state Burr represents. Membership to join the Tar Heel Circle costs between $500 and $10,000, and promises that members "enjoy interaction with top leaders and staff from Congress, the administration, and the private sector," according to the group's website."

:disgust1:
Call me crazy, but I believe this phenomena is hardly contained to the state of North Carolina.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

CN: Hospitals unwilling to order more ventilators due to fiscal concerns. Fed govt not stepping in.

IMO, stepping in and ordering them (and then stockpiling them if not ultimately used dependent on which model was correct...) is what Feds should be doing
Hospitals can't afford more:
- Public hospital: Not on them; don't have necessary funding; hopefully fine.
- Private hospital: Welcome to the lawsuit of patient dying due to lack of ventilator, because funds bottom-line.

This is entirely a Fed needs to step up; they can draw them back into the natl surplus afterwards.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
If we haven't submitted the order for "teh Monkey T-shirts" yet :popcorn:there is still time to change the material to vacuum bags* and kill two birds with one stone...

https://mobile.twitter.com/CMichaelGibson
Cambridge scientists tested 0.02 micron Bacteriophage MS2 particles (5 times smaller than the coronavirus) & compared homemade masks made of different materials to surgical masks.

Surgical mask blocks 89%
Vacuum cleaning bag 85%
Dish Towel 73%
T shirt 70%
#macgyvercare

View attachment 142241

*Does this vacuum bag make my ass look big?
What about paper towel?

I haven't seen a vacuum cleaner bag since my teenage years...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle