Quantcast

Most overrated bands EVER!

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
There is no question that the most overrated band of all time is the Rolling Stones. Good stuff up to maybe 1972. Should have broken up then.

I have always considered Marilyn Manson to be the Brittney Spears of the "underground" scene (same formula, different colour nail polish). Seems to me he what happens when people take the lessons of Malcolm McClaren seriously.

Sorry to say it, but the Grateful Dead are overrated. Not formulaic, but overrated.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
"Might I suggest some Andres Segovia, Jose Feliciano or Julian Bream, then?"
Ever ehard of Fareed Haque? (Not sure on the spelling of the last name). He is an insanely smooth jazz/fusion guitarist, who is very well respected in the international music scene, and he went to my HS!
Check him out, definitely not overrated :thumb:
www.fareed.com

kahner89

Monkey
May 25, 2006
spokanistan
mmaddmark said:
every band is over rated. go buy and instrument and prove the world wrong
haha but if every band is overrated and you learn to play and join a band then you would be overrated as well. but in a way that proves your point but you set the motivation out of reach for those who have read this and went a bought a instrument and began to play the crap like Louie Louie which is a major beginner song for guitar players

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
MMcG said:
I'd like to add Stained or however they spell it to the list - Way overrated.

Nickleback - why the hell do radio stations play them so much.

Hell most of the stuff that gets played on Greater Hartford Radio Stations is overrated.
does anyone understand how radio works?

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
I constantly wear bands out. I got the newest Tool CD, listened to it frigging non-stop for two weeks and finally gave it to the receptionist at work to give to her broke azz boyfriend. I hope he loses it/sells it to buy beer/chucks it in the garbage. I hate Tool now. Too manic, all sounds the same.

Now Pantera is tits. I listened to Vulgar Display of Power to the point of wanting to puke ten years ago, now baby it's all good again.

I have no point. It's all good in moderation. Except Nickelback.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Overrated:

Oasis
Nirvana
All Boy Bands (well, duh!)
Coldplay (although I like some of their stuff, overrated is overrated)
Most Female-Vocalist-centric Pop
Led Zepplin

Underrated:

Violent Femmes
Blue Rodeo
Great Big Sea
Dirty Vegas
Eurythmics

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
wow! Canadian content!

(But holy crap do I hate Blue Rodeo.....)

Nobody said:
Overrated:

Oasis
Nirvana
All Boy Bands (well, duh!)
Coldplay (although I like some of their stuff, overrated is overrated)
Most Female-Vocalist-centric Pop
Led Zepplin

Underrated:

Violent Femmes
Blue Rodeo
Great Big Sea

Dirty Vegas
Eurythmics

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
MMike said:
so lonley so lonely so lonely so lonelaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy
(I feel so lonely)
good musicians for sure, but sting couldn't write a song to save his life.

oh, i forgot that the 1st record was 'punk'. :rofl:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
MMike said:
wow! Canadian content!

(But holy crap do I hate Blue Rodeo.....)
Oh come on now...they're not so bad....

You just need to be dragged to a couple of their concerts! They are better than Cats. I will see them again and again.

(I'm stained...heh heh)

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Overrated: Elton John, Bryan Adams
Under: The Hives (all simple and silly, but the howlin is just too good)

Nutty-nate

Chimp
Jul 12, 2006
no ones said the chillies yet , shame shame shame on you .
over rated :
red hot chillie peppers
blink 182
beatles
K T Tunstell
OH and Mr Gullable AKA James CU....no can't do that one Blunt.
Under-reated :
NoFx
Rush
sprung monkey

Jeronimo

Monkey
Jul 11, 2006
behind that boulder
Oasis has to be the most un-original piece of crap band ever. Besides that, they have inspired the bad Emo style hair on many a young hipster doofus. They ought to be taken out and shot.

Vno

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
South Mountain
Nickelback and Creed is today's BUTT ROCK as was Foreigner and Journey back in their day. Chick rock!
Nashville Pussy is underrated.

Tharkun

Monkey
Nov 21, 2004
I agree with the Beatles and AC/DC. Maybe I'm too young to appreciate the Beatles, but I would definately rank them as overrated. AC/DC is pretty close. Hard to stand the vocals, and I even like bad singers. And like the other guy said, same song over and over.

I highly disagree with the Eagles being overrated. There is a reason they have the top grossing record of all time - mostly because they appeal to a wide range of listeners. My old man likes the Eagles and I love them. But I know alot of people do not.

I gotta add Zeppelin to the overrated list. Don't get me wrong, I like Zeppelin, but the GREATEST band ever? I don't think so. So despite the fact I rather enjoy Zeppelin, they are still overrated.

Basically anything popular today is overrated. What else can you say? Pop and rap? Terrible!

So just remember....

KEEP ON ROCKIN' IN THE FREE WORLD

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
in terms of the beatles being overrated....i guess you are too young...hell i am too young too...

that said, the amount of progress in terms of pushing songwriting and recording they accomplished, from dec '65 to nov '68 cannot be overstated. _Rubber Soul_, _Revolver_, _Sgt Pepper's_, _magical mystery tour_, _the white album_...

think about that run, all the singles released as well which never made it to a proper lp, and put it in context. in less than 3 years they put out more brilliant and original music than anyone else period. i'm not the biggest beatles' fan in a long bit, but you cannot deny their legacy.

Jeronimo

Monkey
Jul 11, 2006
behind that boulder
This thread is pretty funny. It's very indicative of just how much people don't listen to music other than what commercial radio decides to feed them. It's a pretty sad social commentary.

Cases in point:

The ragging of AC/DC. Sure, they have mostly become formulaic butt-rock since the passing of Bonn Scott, but before Bonn's untimely death, they were a versatile and fresh band. Listen to the whole Highway To Hell album sometime, not just the title track that commercial radio feeds the masses. They could do (and did do) whatever they wanted with their music and pulled it off nicely. Who else could have inspired Richard Ramirez's deadly rampage as the Night Stalker with a tune like Night Prowler? Look at their prior releases as well (including the posthumously released in the US Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap). The slow mellow blues of Ride On is timeless, especially accentuated by Bonn's low growl vocals in it. Nobody could ever successfully cover that particular tune and do it justice. Also, who else would have had the balls to release the innuendo-laden and uproariously funny Big Balls? Yeah, they might be something else now, but in the day, they were a force to be reckoned with and that should not be buried under what they have become.

Someone actually had the gall to both misspell Jimi Hendrix's name and rag on him as well? That's fresh. It reminds me of an interview with Paul Caruso where he related a story about an incident with Jimi. Apparently Caruso had written something overly critical of Jimi and they ended up in the same place shortly thereafter. Caruso reiterated his position and Jimi knocked him on his butt with a haymaker. Caruso yelled, "Don't touch me!" and Jimi responded, "I'll always touch you." Whether one likes it or not, Jimi Hendrix's mark on rock and roll is indelible.

The Beatles changed popular music forever. This was accomplished through excellent promotion, solid songwriting and the production wizardry of George Martin. The Beatles could only happen once and I for one am glad they did. One poster commented that he didn't care for their musical stylings, yet could not deny the quality of what he was hearing in the Abbey Road LP. Their mark is more indelible than any other single rock performer or group.

The most requested song of all time is Led Zeppelin's Stairway To Heaven for a reason. It's the epitome of anthemic rock and set the standard for others to follow. I'd like to invite the naysayers to take a listen to all of Led Zeppelin III sometime, instead of the same songs they are fed by commercial radio over and over. Sure, a lot of the blues riffs Jimmy Page played were ripoffs of old American bluesmen, but he played them well and didn't play the same ones others like Clapton were busy ripping off. He dug deep enough to rise above the others. Lastly, how can one measure the energy generated by a live performance other than actually being there? I was at the Badge Holders Only show and if SoCal Edison had figured a way to tap the energy coming out of that crowd in the Forum, they would have been able to light up LA and San Diego. Pandemonium can not be measured accurately.

Underrated?

UFO

Why?

Lack of airplay in their time. Strangers In The Night is arguably the best live album recorded in the 70's. Give it a listen and pay particular attention to Rock Bottom. Jim Ladd on KLOS uses that ditty as his Last Long Song in his Free Form Radio show from time to time. Timeless tunes from a band who missed their time before the untimely departure of Michael Schenker.

Oh yeah, and Oasis still sucks the sweat off of a dead dog's gonads.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Jeronimo said:
This thread is pretty funny. It's very indicative of just how much people don't listen to music other than what commercial radio decides to feed them. It's a pretty sad social commentary.

Cases in point:

The ragging of AC/DC. Sure, they have mostly become formulaic butt-rock since the passing of Bonn Scott, but before Bonn's untimely death, they were a versatile and fresh band. Listen to the whole Highway To Hell album sometime, not just the title track that commercial radio feeds the masses. They could do (and did do) whatever they wanted with their music and pulled it off nicely. Who else could have inspired Richard Ramirez's deadly rampage as the Night Stalker with a tune like Night Prowler? Look at their prior releases as well (including the posthumously released in the US Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap). The slow mellow blues of Ride On is timeless, especially accentuated by Bonn's low growl vocals in it. Nobody could ever successfully cover that particular tune and do it justice. Also, who else would have had the balls to release the innuendo-laden and uproariously funny Big Balls? Yeah, they might be something else now, but in the day, they were a force to be reckoned with and that should not be buried under what they have become.

Someone actually had the gall to both misspell Jimi Hendrix's name and rag on him as well? That's fresh. It reminds me of an interview with Paul Caruso where he related a story about an incident with Jimi. Apparently Caruso had written something overly critical of Jimi and they ended up in the same place shortly thereafter. Caruso reiterated his position and Jimi knocked him on his butt with a haymaker. Caruso yelled, "Don't touch me!" and Jimi responded, "I'll always touch you." Whether one likes it or not, Jimi Hendrix's mark on rock and roll is indelible.

The Beatles changed popular music forever. This was accomplished through excellent promotion, solid songwriting and the production wizardry of George Martin. The Beatles could only happen once and I for one am glad they did. One poster commented that he didn't care for their musical stylings, yet could not deny the quality of what he was hearing in the Abbey Road LP. Their mark is more indelible than any other single rock performer or group.

The most requested song of all time is Led Zeppelin's Stairway To Heaven for a reason. It's the epitome of anthemic rock and set the standard for others to follow. I'd like to invite the naysayers to take a listen to all of Led Zeppelin III sometime, instead of the same songs they are fed by commercial radio over and over. Sure, a lot of the blues riffs Jimmy Page played were ripoffs of old American bluesmen, but he played them well and didn't play the same ones others like Clapton were busy ripping off. He dug deep enough to rise above the others. Lastly, how can one measure the energy generated by a live performance other than actually being there? I was at the Badge Holders Only show and if SoCal Edison had figured a way to tap the energy coming out of that crowd in the Forum, they would have been able to light up LA and San Diego. Pandemonium can not be measured accurately.

Well even after you typed all that, they still all suck.:rofl:

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
Not going through 8 pages here to see if anybody has said it yet:

Korn.

I frickin hate 'em, and everybody else should too.

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
And I will just have to assume someone has already said Nickelback...but of course I don't know anyone who actually likes them, but they still get huge air time in the states.

Power Ballads. Yay.

Edit: read the pages...good to see I am not the only hater of nb. The Beatles over rated? Wow.

mmaddmark

Monkey
Feb 24, 2004
yes, the doors had no bass. wtf? well...because robbie kreiger did all the bass lines in the studio. plus his low tuned sg was played on a clean chanel,with his chicken pickin style of playing he could hit root notes to cover the lack of a bassist. its not like it was a very technical band

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Most under-rated is the replacements

Hadn't thought about UFO's "strangers in the night" - recorded in Chicago, big ups for the hog butcher to the world (even passed through today on my way home).

Most over-rated - American Idol and all of its satanic spawn.

Jeronimo said:

Cases in point:

Underrated?

UFO

Why?

Lack of airplay in their time. Strangers In The Night is arguably the best live album recorded in the 70's. Give it a listen and pay particular attention to Rock Bottom. Jim Ladd on KLOS uses that ditty as his Last Long Song in his Free Form Radio show from time to time. Timeless tunes from a band who missed their time before the untimely departure of Michael Schenker.

Oh yeah, and Oasis still sucks the sweat off of a dead dog's gonads.

BEST FUQING POST EVER MADE ON THE INTERNET REGARDING A REBUTTAL TOWARDS OVER RATED BANDS. THIS GUY KNOWS HIS STUFF AND HIS COMMENTS REGARDING AC/DC AND THE BEATLES WERE SAID MUCH BETTER THEN I WAS ABOUT TO EVEN ATTEMPT.
GREAT JOB MAN AND I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAID EXCEPT THE LAST LINE ABOUT OASIS SINCE I HAVE NO IDEA WHO THEY EVEN ARE.