Quantcast

The last person to post a picture from their last bike ride wins access to the white courtesy phone.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I just came off a couple broken metacarpals too. Pretty easy to recover from for me. I was off the bike for 5 weeks (). Then slowly ramped back to full speed in 3 more. By 8 weeks I had no real lasting effect anymore. Good luck. Drink/eat lots of milk, yogurt, kale, vitiamin D, etc.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Thanks. I've broken bones in both hands before, so I'm familiar with the recovery process. Riding is some of the best rehab for grip strength, so I'll get back on the bike, even in limited capacity ASAP.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Got out to the Pisgah this weekend. Despite rain and cold weather (got frozen into my tent Saturday night) good times were had by all. Already can't wait to go back.

Camp had all the necessary ingredients.
IMG_5920.jpg

Got the new rig out for her first real mountain ride and she did not disappoint. Think there are many fun miles ahead...
IMG_5929.jpg

Trail pup had a weekend for the ages. She even tried to pose at Tom's Spring Falls at the bottom of Daniel's Ridge.
IMG_5922.jpg

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Get that stuff melted! Buddies and I are planning a trip to Saint-Raymond.

What ski hill is that in the background?
Once we get a few days in the 20s it should go fast. But none of those in the immediate forecast.

That's Mont St-Sauveur in the Laurentians.

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
Got out to the Pisgah this weekend. Despite rain and cold weather (got frozen into my tent Saturday night) good times were had by all. Already can't wait to go back.

Camp had all the necessary ingredients.
View attachment 128469

Got the new rig out for her first real mountain ride and she did not disappoint. Think there are many fun miles ahead...
View attachment 128471

Trail pup had a weekend for the ages. She even tried to pose at Tom's Spring Falls at the bottom of Daniel's Ridge.
View attachment 128470
Hate I didn’t get up with you. Too cold and damp for my ass.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Hate I didn’t get up with you. Too cold and damp for my ass.
It was pretty burly out there. If I had Pisgah anytime I wanted I might have sat this weekend out too. But when wife says “you can go to the mountains” I don’t say “maybe later.” I’ll be back soon and we can shred!

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Yesterday was the day when everything fell into place for a day trip to Pisgah before the seasonal trails close on the 15th. For those of you following the new plans for Pisgah, I wanted to check out the proposed changes to Butter Gap.

The dirt road to Gloucester Gap was really sunny, too sunny as the forrest has little to no greenery yet. And the day before someone was asking me if I wore sun screen when I ride. Wish I did. So after getting cooked, got to Butter and checked out where they want to build. It looks like an old logging road. Oooh that'll be fun...All the steep rocky and rooty ledge drops will go away. Got to make it more beginner friendly, the plan says.

This is either on Butter or Cat Gap. It's right after a blind left turn behind the bushes in the center. Fun drop to hit if there aren't hikers gathered around it.

butter-drop-op.jpg

Took Butter to Cat Gap (seasonal) all the way down to the Fish Hatchery. Had a nice little snack along Davidson River Trail. Climbed up Cove Creek to the Daniel Ridge connector and down Daniel Ridge creek side. Daniel has gotten even rougher and rockier. Mmmmm rawks.

Only came across two other mountain bikers and one trail runner, not counting road-side campers in the 6 plus hours I was out there. Pisgah is freaking huge and compounded by ridiculously steep terrain that draws millions of visitors annually. Not to mention the Pisgah Stage Race, with 200 competitors. Really thought I would have seen more riders. But yesterday, it was like I had the place all to myself.

This trip I spent a little more time exploring and checking out waterfalls which added a couple hours to my ride. Rode a trail that follows the Davidson River and found this spot to enjoy. The sound of the river is amazing.

davidson-river-1-op.jpg

davidson-river-2-op.jpg

davidson-river-3-op.jpg

davidson-river-4-op.jpg

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Yesterday was the day when everything fell into place for a day trip to Pisgah before the seasonal trails close on the 15th. For those of you following the new plans for Pisgah, I wanted to check out the proposed changes to Butter Gap.

The dirt road to Gloucester Gap was really sunny, too sunny as the forrest has little to no greenery yet. And the day before someone was asking me if I wore sun screen when I ride. Wish I did. So after getting cooked, got to Butter and checked out where they want to build. It looks like an old logging road. Oooh that'll be fun...All the steep rocky and rooty ledge drops will go away. Got to make it more beginner friendly, the plan says.

This is either on Butter or Cat Gap. It's right after a blind left turn behind the bushes in the center. Fun drop to hit if there aren't hikers gathered around it.

View attachment 128505

Took Butter to Cat Gap (seasonal) all the way down to the Fish Hatchery. Had a nice little snack along Davidson River Trail. Climbed up Cove Creek to the Daniel Ridge connector and down Daniel Ridge creek side. Daniel has gotten even rougher and rockier. Mmmmm rawks.

Only came across two other mountain bikers and one trail runner, not counting road-side campers in the 6 plus hours I was out there. Pisgah is freaking huge and compounded by ridiculously steep terrain that draws millions of visitors annually. Not to mention the Pisgah Stage Race, with 200 competitors. Really thought I would have seen more riders. But yesterday, it was like I had the place all to myself.

This trip I spent a little more time exploring and checking out waterfalls which added a couple hours to my ride. Rode a trail that follows the Davidson River and found this spot to enjoy. The sound of the river is amazing.

View attachment 128507

View attachment 128508

View attachment 128509

View attachment 128510
That is a fun ride. Next time try it in the snow. :busted:

Should also toss top of Long Branch into the mix. Mild road climb, but its a fun tunnel of dirt to ride down.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
That is a fun ride. Next time try it in the snow. :busted:

Should also toss top of Long Branch into the mix. Mild road climb, but its a fun tunnel of dirt to ride down.
I usually climb up Long Branch after riding Butter when Cat is closed. Would definitely like to bomb down Long Branch to Cat. Have you seen the cemetery off Long Branch ?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
IMG_0637.PNG
Some times you lose. Jumped between two trees over some roots and left foot snagged a downed root ball. Got pulled off a pretty good clip. My kid was close enough to recant the event as "it looked just like when they crash in the movies".

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Not a picture, but close enough. It was hardpack-boilerplate, aka "skier-packed powder".

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Yesterday should probably be (I hope) my last fatbike ride of the year. April 15th, and still pretty much full coverage. There was lots of ice on the trails, but we could ride anywhere in the forest because the snow was hard. So we did a little off-piste exploring, riding around the edge of a lake and cutting through frozen swamp:

It's raining/freezing rain here now, so that should be about it for fatbike riding, but either way, I'm pretty much done caus' my bike bounced out of the rack and tumbled/slid down the highway at around 60mph on the way home.... Gonna have to replace my derailleur and saddle at least, and probably handlebar because carbon. :(

Once we get a few days in the 20s it should go fast. But none of those in the immediate forecast.

That's Mont St-Sauveur in the Laurentians.
St-Sauveur! That's less than two hours away... I've always wanted to explore the good trails in the area... got any tips?!

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
St-Sauveur! That's less than two hours away... I've always wanted to explore the good trails in the area... got any tips?!
Yes I do. As with most areas, the best stuff is off radar. Hit me up if you come to visit this season. :thumb: