Quantcast

the random thought thread

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
On my way home from the trail some jerk wouldn't get off my ass and I was fresh out of rocks so I braked checked them. Slowed down to about 20 mph. They just turned off. If you're going to turn then why the fuck do you tailgate ?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
In the future, imagine how many Go-Pros will be found on mountainsides containing the last moments of people's lives.
I'd be inclined to think the number of GoPro vids used in paternity suits would be much greater.

People film everything now. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if a GoPro Potty version was in the works so you could "Strava" ( or the equivalent ) your poops to share with the world.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Take meat, put spices and oils on it. Put on fire. Before it gets black take off fire. Let it cool down a little. Eat. Smile. Same thing can be done with vegetables.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I am confused about comb-overs. Do they have comb-over barbers? When does the idea occur to you? Hey you know what, I would probably look 23 again if I did a comb-over right?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Got an email about a high school reunion. Lost touch with anyone from high school long ago and usually ignore these things. Anyway found out that of the 5 kids from my class that lived in my neighborhood, 3 are dead, one is in jail.
-Beth had some terrible congenital disease and was always in poor health. Her mom used to cut my hair.
-Danny died in a motorcycle accident, great dude, this makes me sad
-Ryan is dead, rumor has his demise as drug or suicide related
-Jimmy thought it would be fun to sell cocaine.
-The one other kid my age who isn't considered in my graduating class as he dropped out was in and out of rehab several times before he was 25. I suspect he has not had a happy life.

I am from the streets.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Got an email about a high school reunion. Lost touch with anyone from high school long ago and usually ignore these things. Anyway found out that of the 5 kids from my class that lived in my neighborhood, 3 are dead, one is in jail.
-Beth had some terrible congenital disease and was always in poor health. Her mom used to cut my hair.
-Danny died in a motorcycle accident, great dude, this makes me sad
-Ryan is dead, rumor has his demise as drug or suicide related
-Jimmy thought it would be fun to sell cocaine.
-The one other kid my age who isn't considered in my graduating class as he dropped out was in and out of rehab several times before he was 25. I suspect he has not had a happy life.

I am from the streets.
Where did you grow up? That sounds awful.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Where did you grow up? That sounds awful.
Outside Poughkeepsie NY. From a broad geographic reference one of the wealthiest part of the country. Our neighborhood would have been a blue collar lower middle class anywhere else, but were the lowest 5th percentile for the surrounding area. It would seem that my peers suffered a similar socio-economic fate as those living in poverty elsewhere.

I can't complain about hardships, we always had everything we needed. I was lucky as my parents always made the right decisions with the limited resources we had. My friends had HBO, we had a Black and White TV. They had Nintendos, I had a PC that I had to learn how to program if I wanted to play games. My friends went to the beach every summer, we took classes at the community college.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Outside Poughkeepsie NY. From a broad geographic reference one of the wealthiest part of the country. Our neighborhood would have been a blue collar lower middle class anywhere else, but were the lowest 5th percentile for the surrounding area. It would seem that my peers suffered a similar socio-economic fate as those living in poverty elsewhere.

I can't complain about hardships, we always had everything we needed. I was lucky as my parents always made the right decisions with the limited resources we had. My friends had HBO, we had a Black and White TV. They had Nintendos, I had a PC that I had to learn how to program if I wanted to play games. My friends went to the beach every summer, we took classes at the community college.
Everyone I know from Poughkeepsie is a Junky. Even if they now live somewhere else.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
As far as Victorian and Baroque Architecture in North America Poughkeepsie has it going on. The Vassar Campus is awesome. Hyde Park is Newport on the Hudson.
Vanderbilt Mansion is impressive to say the least. Hudson Valley is a pretty place. Mother worked for the Duchess Community College, took a sailing class made available to kids of employees. What a way to travel. Cruising along at 12 knots angled over with the only sound being the waves slapping at the hull.

My buddy in Seattle wants to go in on a boat together when I get out there. Would love to be on the water again, just trying to figure out how to tell him that his wife's meth head friends are not invited, ever, perma-jim-banned. Jim however would have an open invitation.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Vanderbilt Mansion is impressive to say the least. Hudson Valley is a pretty place. Mother worked for the Duchess Community College, took a sailing class made available to kids of employees. What a way to travel. Cruising along at 12 knots angled over with the only sound being the waves slapping at the hull.

My buddy in Seattle wants to go in on a boat together when I get out there. Would love to be on the water again, just trying to figure out how to tell him that his wife's meth head friends are not invited, ever, perma-jim-banned. Jim however would have an open invitation.
You know I got that whole boat freak thing going on also...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I need a good bourbon chicken recipe.
Leanns Chinois Bourbon Chicken

1½ lbs. chicken thighs (I used boneless skinless - delish!)
½ cup low sodium soy sauce
¼ cup oil
¼ cup vinegar
¼ cup bourbon
¼ cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon crushed or sliced ginger (fresh, not dried)
4 cloves crushed garlic
4-5 green onions, cut into thirds or sliced
1 cup uncooked basmati rice

The night before: Combine the soy sauce, oil, vinegar, bourbon, and brown sugar in a bowl. Whisk until combined. Place the chicken in a baking dish (a casserole pan or something with high sides) with lid and pour the sauce over the chicken. Toss in the ginger, garlic, and half of the green onions. Cover and marinate overnight (or for as many hours as you have before baking).

That day: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Uncover the chicken and bake directly in the marinade for 45 minutes, basting the chicken with the sauce periodically and/or turning the pieces upside down to get them baking in the sauce on both sides. Cook the rice.

When the chicken is done, turn the oven temperature to broil and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes to get a nice, browned exterior on the chicken. Remove and serve whole or cut, with extra sauce and scallions, over the rice.