Quantcast

the random thought thread

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
@AngryMetalsmith (or any monkey who might actually know) Could the powdercoating process cause an aluminum wheel to weaken or fail? 400-450 degrees for no more than 20 minute enough to change the heat treating of an aluminum wheel?
Not sure, but aluminum melts at 1220˚ F and anneals at a fairly low temperature. I imagine that aluminum mountain bike frames are heat treated to release uneven tension from welding and for strength prior to powder coating. So maybe the same is true for aluminum wheels.

Besides, it doesn't really matter what you do to your wheels, it's the driver who's going to flip the Vette, not the paint. :p

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I often think if I wasn't a dedicated cyclist most of my life. I wouldn't have survived a spinal injury and a TBI. I did however. So there..... I think my lack of skill and ability to persevere in spite of how often I crash has made me more durable. I have had my ass beat because I did stupid shit and it made me better somehow. Blah blah blah.....

Stoney Stoneington....

Elixir brakes still suck...

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Shopping for a new ski jacket sucks ass now a days. I've been looking for almost 2 months now and still haven't found anything I'd be happy with. Since layering is the new fad it seems that outdoor clothing companies are charging the same (if not more) for a "shell" instead of making jackets with some freakin insulation in them. Whatever happened to making ski jackets with insulation and vents in case it got a little warmer outside. Ugh.

#firstworldproblems

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
This has been posted on a local FB page as an example of a "trail ruined by irresponsible riders". WTF, life in Murica is so hard. :crazy:
That is a great example of a trail ruined by irresponsible riders.
Not the single rut, mind you, but the fact that it's been raked out 18 unnecessary inches to the left of the rut.
Where was this taken?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
That is a great example of a trail ruined by irresponsible riders.
Not the single rut, mind you, but the fact that it's been raked out 18 unnecessary inches to the left of the rut.
Where was this taken?
Somewhere in Blue Hills. I can't wait for the local NEMBA chapters to start paving the dirt. :twitch:

James Mickens:

“In the normal universe, when are you ever going to be chased by someone into a lake, and then onto a bike, and then onto a road where you can’t drive a car, but you can run in a wetsuit? Will that ever happen? If so, instead of training for such an event, perhaps a better activity is to discover why a madman is forcing people to swim, then bike, and then run.” My friend will generally reply, “Triathlons are good exercise,” and I’ll say, “That’s true, assuming that you’ve made a series of bad life decisions that result in you being hunted by an amphibious Ronald McDonald.” My friend will say, “How do you know that it’s Ronald McDonald who’s chasing me?”, and I’ll say “OPEN YOUR EYES WHO ELSE COULD IT BE?”, and then my friend will stop talking to me about triathlons, and I will be okay with this outcome.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I tear up a bit when I ride by a pile of rocks moved off the trail. :(
Be grateful when you cover some Rocky terrain. Not everyone gets to know your joy. Many of us live in places that have virtually no rocks in their environs. If I want Rocks I have to places hundreds of miles from here.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the last time i shaved my beard was the beginning of november. since then i have done minimal trimming (grooming stragglers, keeping my neck clean, and keeping my moustache out of my mouth).

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
New Yor Review of Books said:
The very sound of obscenities—forget their sense—seems to ring a bell in us, as is clear from the fact that many of them sound alike. In English, at least, one third of the so-called four-letter words are indeed made up of four letters, forming one syllable, and in nine out of ten cases, Bergen writes, the syllable is “closed”—that is, it ends in a consonant or two consonants. Why? Probably because consonants sound sharper, more absolute, than vowels. (Compare piss with pee, cunt with pussy.)
source

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The one good thing about being Morbidly Obese is that you have extra surface area for tattoos. The unfortunate part is that no matter how many tattoos you get and how magnificently arty they are it doesn't obscure the fact that you are Morbidly Obese... The realization that all the extra income you had to pay for those tattoos didn't go for food or your child's upbringing is obvious to us. But not you. Therein lies the problem... Confused I am....

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
The one good thing about being Morbidly Obese is that you have extra surface area for tattoos. The unfortunate part is that no matter how many tattoos you get and how magnificently arty they are it doesn't obscure the fact that you are Morbidly Obese... The realization that all the extra income you had to pay for those tattoos didn't go for food or your child's upbringing is obvious to us. But not you. Therein lies the problem... Confused I am....
protip: be neither morbidly obese, nor excessively tattooed.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
No picture evidence of Russia, but evidence i was in the area:

Nome
019c19508443287c0e37904cdcd1a04b8b4ce93c58.jpg
Kotzebue
16299405_10101039881466398_8810394226608147258_n.jpg