Quantcast

The Spend HAB's Money Thread

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i missed the part about this being the daily....buy a euro wagon.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
i missed the part about this being the daily....buy a euro wagon.
Yeah, that's kind of what I'm thinking. If I were going to daily the M3, and this would be the trip rig, I'd be all over a van. I'd rather have a more practical daily, keep the M3 as long as I'm enjoying it as a toy, and if I don't do anything stupid with it I can get more of the money I have in it back out if/when I've had enough of it.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I'm of two minds about that. On one hand, I kind of agree. On the other hand...
Makes sense. If you take the M3 out of the equation, a wagon is attractive - that's what I got. For that money you're looking at subarus or an older audi/mercedes/volvo, with the related hassles.

You might also check out some used VW wagons. You should be able to get a pretty new one on the cheap right about now!

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Makes sense. If you take the M3 out of the equation, a wagon is attractive - that's what I got. For that money you're looking at subarus or an older audi/mercedes/volvo, with the related hassles.
I mean, I know I'm not trying to get new-Civic reliability here, but there are 530xi wagons for $15-17k, with 50-70k miles all over the place. That sounds like something I can live with.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have a Volvo XC70 too its plenty fast, seat are amazingly comfortable (I do very long road trips) and the trunk is huge. Like Eric I have had good luck with mine. I have a 2007 of the previous generation and paid 21500 with about the 22,000 miles on the car back in 2009. There is also the V60 but it has much less room.

I do like the 3 series wagon to but just like the V60 not much room inside the car. Last time I rented one in Europe I was not impressed with the car inside either but that was of course a stripped out rental car.

I was also looking hard at the 535 wagon but a same year car and mileage as the Volvo would have been the double amount of money. Not worth it for me especially as I have to park the car on the street in Brooklyn.

I did have a Citroen wagon when I lived in Copenhagen same size as a Jetta and was able to fit 3 DH bikes and our gear into the car. Smaller cars are more fun to drive but on longer trips bigger cars are just better.

Did I say I like Wagons.

Can I please have this

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm not real good at this, but generally you want a vapor barrier only on the warm side. The metal exterior of the van is in itself a vapor barrier. Having one outside and inside, I think, risks entrapment of water in the insulation. Sprinters tend to rust out super fast in their stock configuration, this is not likely to help.
Got it.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
My neighbor is selling one that's already all. dialed in. Not a supermodel, but all the quirks are sorted out.
I would be lying if I said I thought that that was a good idea, but I'd also be lying if I said wasn't intrigued anyway.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
he's a project car kinda guy, gets a beast, fixes everything, gets bored, sell, repeat, never profit.

he's current "cause" is a '76 (?) 530i sedan, so the S6 is on the way out.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
You mean like the goddam window switches that don't/randomly work, the taillights that don't/randomly work, and the sunroof bull$hit?

Can you tell I was traumatized by an Audi?

:D
I'd say mine's been pretty reliable, but anytime I do have to do anything on it's about 5 times harder than it should be. Coolant flush? Oh, there's no drain plug. Better pull the hose at the bottom of the radiator. Great, can't reach that. Guess I have to drop the fender and intercooler. Etc.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
the quirks are never fully sorted out.
A friend had one for years, I'm well versed. Those things are cool, but realistically not even a little bit what I'm looking for.

I'm starting to talk myself into the idea of a pickup a little. If only prices on 5 year old Tacomas weren't so nuts... fucking things don't depreciate.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
A friend had one for years, I'm well versed. Those things are cool, but realistically not even a little bit what I'm looking for.

I'm starting to talk myself into the idea of a pickup a little. If only prices on 5 year old Tacomas weren't so nuts... fucking things don't depreciate.
co-worker just bought a RS2 in England. Bringing it back to the US after June. C5 S6 Avant would be cool only if you could find a manual, the autos are timebombs and the 4.2 is pretty bulletproof in those gens

Thats the beauty of the Tacoma, they hold value better than anything i've ever seen in a modern car. Any gen2 4x4 would be awesome. Friend in PDX has a manual TRD Pro and shuttling it at Thrilluim was a blast to drive. Keep it in 2wd and drift corners.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Thats the beauty of the Tacoma, they hold value better than anything i've ever seen in a modern car. Any gen2 4x4 would be awesome. Friend in PDX has a manual TRD Pro and shuttling it at Thrilluim was a blast to drive. Keep it in 2wd and drift corners.
There are very few cars I'd consider buying new, but a Tacoma would be one. They depreciate so little that I could maybe talk myself into thinking it makes sense financially. I've never financed a car but my credit is great, so I should get a good rate. I'll crunch some numbers...

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
There are very few cars I'd consider buying new, but a Tacoma would be one. They depreciate so little that I could maybe talk myself into thinking it makes sense financially. I've never financed a car but my credit is great, so I should get a good rate. I'll crunch some numbers...
I love my 16 Tacoma, there are some downsides. The new motor has less off the line grunt, you really gotta get into it to make it move. The 6-speed is a little weird on cruise control in 6. It changes gears alot. If you drive it in Sport with ECT off, its actually decent. I have the light bar and 33's and am getting 15mpg city driving however i want.

My payment is under 600/month for a fully loaded TRD OffRoad. Im used to a payment, and am ok having them for whatever reason. Sticker on my Truck was 38K. I bought mine last day of 2015 and walked into the dealer at 7pm. They were eager to close out and I walked paying under that OTD. TFS Interest rates were good enough that it was a percent of a percent lower than my credit union.

The downside is I have over $12K of shit on it or going on it. Fox 2.5 Remote Resi DSC, Fab Fours bumpers, Zroads roof led, ditch LED's, rear LED's, Trex Grille w/ 20" LED and the bumper has 20" LED and 4 3" square pods. Im lucky to have a project truck for work so that helps.

Last edited:

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
I can't vote against a Tacoma, especially since I own one, but I definitely wouldn't consider them "fun to drive" in anywhere near the same way you can drive a car. They handle well for a truck, and It's cool to have a vehicle that can drive over stuff instead of around it, but for highway driving, there's nothing really fun about them. (my experience only relevant to second gens)

Mine isn't a people hauler, but sometimes that's nice. I don't always have to be the one to drive.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Can you even fit more than two adults in one of those (and have it be comfortable for any length of time)? I don't really haul a bunch of people around that much, but it would be nice to leave the option open.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I love my 16 Tacoma, there are some downsides. The new motor has less off the line grunt, you really gotta get into it to make it move. The 6-speed is a little weird on cruise control in 6. It changes gears alot. If you drive it in Sport with ECT off, its actually decent. I have the light bar and 33's and am getting 15mpg city driving however i want.

My payment is under 600/month for a fully loaded TRD OffRoad. Im used to a payment, and am ok having them for whatever reason. Sticker on my Truck was 38K. I bought mine last day of 2015 and walked into the dealer at 7pm. They were eager to close out and I walked paying under that OTD. TFS Interest rates were good enough that it was a percent of a percent lower than my credit union.

The downside is I have over $12K of shit on it or going on it. Fox 2.5 Remote Resi DSC, Fab Fours bumpers, Zroads roof led, ditch LED's, rear LED's, Trex Grille w/ 20" LED and the bumper has 20" LED and 4 3" square pods. Im lucky to have a project truck for work so that helps.
Right. I'd buy a somewhat more basic one and leave it alone. In my head I want a 4 door 4x4 V6 with a manual, which I guess means getting a TRD Sport, but maybe I could live with t he access cab.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Also, what kind of highway fuel economy can I reasonably expect from a Tacoma? I'm not that worried about it because a) it'll be vastly better than the Audi in every other aspect running cost wise, and b) it's not like an S4 is exactly a paragon of economy anyway, but I'd like it to not be terrible.