Quantcast

The Spend HAB's Money Thread

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
wish vw would have given us a proper allroad. V6 TDI based on the A6 chassis like in yurp.
That would be cool.

There are a couple e60 530xi wagons nearby with pretty low mileage in the mid-teens, price wise. Seems like an interesting idea at least, I'll try to drive one soon.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Drove an '07 530xi last night. The particular example wasn't in great shape, but I could be into a nicer one. Maybe a little bigger than I really need.

I would love to find an e91 328 xDrive wagon with three pedals. They do exist, but they're unicorns.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
:thumb:
If I hadn't bought a wagon last month I'd be all over this.
and you would so regert that decision. Those things are turds. We used to have a bunch in the shop on a rotating platter for the dumbest reoccurring shit. This is over blown but its the V8 passat thinking. Oil change - drop motor and redo timing belt.

I wouldnt buy one of those with someone elses money.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Duly noted.

(knocking wood)
sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who has had good luck with VW/Audi :hmm:
I've owned so many, all have been good. I just know what to steer clear of.
74, 76, 78 Rabbit 2L / 1.8 16V / G60
Scirocco 2 16v
Corrado stg 4 G60
mk2 jetta gli 16v
mk2 golf 2L 9A
mk3 Vr
mk3 3liter VR
mk4 24v
mk4 jetta gli
b5.5 passat v6 wagon
b5 A4 avant 1.8T quattro manula
'13 passat tdi
'14 Jetta
C6 Audi A6

All of them have been solid cars. and had minimal issues. I would say on average not including oil changes I've spent less than $500/year on maintenance since 1997. I def. feel like a lucky one.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah, I've had enough overcomplicated VAG products for a bit with my S4.

Found a V50 T5 AWD manual locally that seems interesting.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Yeah, I've had enough overcomplicated VAG products for a bit with my S4.

Found a V50 T5 AWD manual locally that seems interesting.
When I saw you were looking for something smaller I was actually going to suggest that. I think its a sleeper in the way a lot of people is not looking at it. Friends of mine bought one recently really cheap. I think its same base as the Focus and Mazda3. I think its a good looking little car and the Volvo seat are amazing. 218 HP is a lot for a small car like that too and brilliant with a manual.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Duly noted.

(knocking wood)
sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who has had good luck with VW/Audi :hmm:
65 beetle
72 beetle
80 rabbit
85 gti
89 gti
85 jetta coupe
92 jetta
93 passat wagon glx
98 nb

the nb was a pain in the ass for the water pump......but the car was free.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Look at that list of cars and see how many motor swapped, 2 plus decade old cars are on there. So yeah, if my fully built 3Liter high compression cammed VR6 required less than a few hundred dollars in maintenance a year, stoked. Some cars, like the TDI and A6 have fairly expensive trans services and are just a part of owning a nicer than corolla level car outside warranty.

If I wanted to drive a fucking, sterile appliance and be like look im a boring motherfucker in a civic who spent $100 on maintenance I would have.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
If I wanted to drive a fucking, sterile appliance and be like look im a boring motherfucker in a civic who spent $100 on maintenance I would have.
he is drivng a new jeep....the shit hasnt hit the fan yet...

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
he is drivng a new jeep....the shit hasnt hit the fan yet...
And a Focus I bought new that just rolled 190k miles and has only needed the thermostat replaced twice ($25 each time).

$500/year OUTSIDE of regular maintenance (fluids/filters/plugs/brakes/tires, etc) seems like an absurdly high amount to reasonably spend on a vehicle for maintenance. But that's just me.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
my last A4 was a champ: I had a total of $18k into that car, including purchase and ALL repairs outside of oil and tires. I drove it for 14 years and put 170k on it during that time.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
My bad, I took that as all routine maintenance. That's more reasonable.
The only thing that threw maintenance to the wind is/was trans service for the TDI which is every 40K at 350 or so. Done that twice in the last year.

Even my corrado, in 140K miles of ownership and abuse only nuked 1 GLader. and if you know that things that is a fucking feat. I've had to replace 0 mk4 coilpacks, a single window regulator in all those cars.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
And a Focus I bought new that just rolled 190k miles and has only needed the thermostat replaced twice ($25 each time).

$500/year OUTSIDE of regular maintenance (fluids/filters/plugs/brakes/tires, etc) seems like an absurdly high amount to reasonably spend on a vehicle for maintenance. But that's just me.
Oh, just you wait... :busted:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cars/worst-cars-of-2015-in-consumer-reports-tests/

"The Wrangler is one of those rare vehicles that basically bombs in our tests, but our subscribers are wild about it"

:rofl:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Oh, just you wait... :busted:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cars/worst-cars-of-2015-in-consumer-reports-tests/

"The Wrangler is one of those rare vehicles that basically bombs in our tests, but our subscribers are wild about it"

:rofl:
Geez, the Wrangler did shitty in a test where the primary scoring factors are fuel economy, cargo space and road handling characteristics?

Color me shocked!

The 76% of return customers (per the article) are people that knew what they were getting when they bought a Jeep. The remaining 24% are idiots with more money than common sense and buy a Wrangler for the "cool factor", yet ironically get the 4-door and drive it year round with a hard top and all doors on, and are pissed when they find out it doesn't drive like a Q7 or X5.

Besides, I wouldn't trust an article written by someone that enjoys martinis.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
i saw it ONCE. JUST ONCE. I DIDN't GET A PICTURE. someone at the local municipal airport by my office has a wrangler with the full on Jurassic Park paint job
I've seen a couple. Pretty sure that was an option for a bit BITD, at least I think so. Sort of like the CoD MW3 version they had a couple years ago.

Both equally absurd.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah, I've seen a couple of the Jurassic Park ones. Did not realize the Call of Duty one was a thing, but that's fucking stupid.

And no.