Quantcast

The Spend HAB's Money Thread

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
What year? The auto transmission honestly, at least in the second gen, isn't that bad. I can't say I've ever yearned for more.
'16. It'll be interesting to see how I like the auto, but every vehicle I've owned to date has been a manual, and I'm not in a hurry to change that.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
Pretty sure it's only the TRD Pro that gets the suspension lift. The big draw to the OR is the rear locker, ATRAC and crawl control but at the expense of getting the 8" differential if that matters to you.

I got the SR5 and don't regret it. The fancy electronics are cool and all but I don't think their inclusion is worth the price over the age old combination of good tires, ARBs and a winch if you are venturing out there.
sorry the '16 is overall an inch taller than previous.

What year? The auto transmission honestly, at least in the second gen, isn't that bad. I can't say I've ever yearned for more.
The 16 is new, 6-speed auto designed with economy in-mind. In D its kinda a slug. Get into it and its alright. Turn ECT off and go to Sport and I imagine its alot like the 2gen auto. It doesnt bug me at all however.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I got the SR5 and don't regret it. The fancy electronics are cool and all but I don't think their inclusion is worth the price over the age old combination of good tires, ARBs and a winch if you are venturing out there.
I'm not going to be doing any real off roading in it, and definitely don't need the electronics or aftermarket hardware. The only reason for going up to a TRD Sport/Offroad for me would be to get a manual transmission with the V6. That option doesn't exist on the lower trim levels.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
'16. It'll be interesting to see how I like the auto, but every vehicle I've owned to date has been a manual, and I'm not in a hurry to change that.
Ah, disregard some of the info I posted about the differential sizes then. They changed that for the 16 model year. Kinda figured you were going with an older model due to the 20K budget which the new ones would be significantly over.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Ah, disregard some of the info I posted about the differential sizes then. They changed that for the 16 model year. Kinda figured you were going with an older model due to the 20K budget which the new ones would be significantly over.
Yeah, fair assumption. I started shopping used ones, and the depreciation on them was so minimal that it was hard to justify spending 85% of what a new one costs for something with 75k on the clock. A new one would definitely blow my initially stated budget up, but I could afford it, and potentially justify it for something that I could reasonably expect to keep for a decade or more.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
It's a thought. I'm reluctant to go to anything bigger than a Taco (I know the prior gen Tundras aren't a lot bigger, but a Tacoma is pushing what I want size wise already) but a used Tundra would be better value. I'll do some shopping.
I wanted a Taco when I got that. The truck wasn't that much bigger, but the extra space was greatly appreciated

Tundra:
Wheelbase: Double Cab: 140.5 in
Length: Double Cab: 230.1 in
Width: Double Cab & Limited: 79.3 in

Taco:
Wheelbase: Double Cab: 140.9 in
Length: Double Cab Short Bed: 208.1 in
Width: 4WD: 74.7 in

Realistically, it's not much different

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That Tundra is 3" wider than my already very wide Land Cruiser. You'd notice that when parking.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
With all due respect, I have yet to meet a parking space I can't stuff my crew cab superduty into, so a tacoma shouldn't pose many issues.
Backing in is the key to trucks.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
With all due respect, I have yet to meet a parking space I can't stuff my crew cab superduty into, so a tacoma shouldn't pose many issues.
Backing in is the key to trucks.
That's fine in parking lots. Seattle has lots of street parking where that long tail would be a pain in the ass.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
That's fine in parking lots. Seattle has lots of street parking where that long tail would be a pain in the ass.
This. Perpendicular parking is a non event. I don't want to be parallel parking a supertanker, which is something I will have to do often.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah im not trying to street park a 300" truck. I live in a psuedo city and street park at lunch or dinner and while it's not hard to park the camera helps alot.
Street parking is a regular and unfortunate part of my life, hence the concern over size.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
regarding tundras....

the tundra V8/auto trans is a fucking turd.....i loathe driving my dads truck.

from a stop you have to nail the gas or otherwise it feels like you are trying to leave the line in third gear in a manual car.

and plan on being a dick and taking up two spaces when you park it in a parking lot if you have the double cab and a 8 foot bed.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
regarding tundras....

the tundra V8/auto trans is a fucking turd.....i loathe driving my dads truck.

from a stop you have to nail the gas or otherwise it feels like you are trying to leave the line in third gear in a manual car.

and plan on being a dick and taking up two spaces when you park it in a parking lot if you have the double cab and a 8 foot bed.
I've driven one a little bit shuttling and tend to agree. They've got a reputation for being bombproof which is cool, but I don't like driving them.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Just saying, I parallel park every day with my truck.
Once you get used to it (I've had HD trucks for 15+ yrs) its 2nd nature.
Parallel parking my wifes e-class benz wagon is damned near impossible for me though. Its just what youre used to.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Parallel parking my wifes e-class benz wagon is damned near impossible for me though. Its just what youre used to.
There are parking spots on my street that my S4 is borderline too long for, between driveways. I'm not saying I can't park a big truck, but it'll get harder the bigger the vehicle is (in many cases driven by physical available space, irrespective of my ability or willingness to stuff the thing in), and getting something bigger than I need isn't desirable.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
There are parking spots on my street that my S4 is borderline too long for, between driveways. I'm not saying I can't park a big truck, but it'll get harder the bigger the vehicle is (in many cases driven by physical available space, irrespective of my ability or willingness to stuff the thing in), and getting something bigger than I need isn't desirable.
I get it. Nothing sucks more than circling looking for a spot.
I've got commercial plates so every loading zone is my fall-back when I can't find something legal.
My point is it will seem like a barge coming from your current cars but that you will be surprised how quickly you adapt.
I'd also get a long bed......

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
I used to take a co-workers V10 F250 to grab lunch for everyone when I biked to work in portland and having to park that fucking thing on the street was a fucking nightmare. Even small parking lots where theres a square-ish doughnut shapen out and island making that thing maneuver through was like steering a boat with the motor in the front.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I used to take a co-workers V10 F250 to grab lunch for everyone when I biked to work in portland and having to park that fucking thing on the street was a fucking nightmare. Even small parking lots where theres a square-ish doughnut shapen out and island making that thing maneuver through was like steering a boat with the motor in the front.
The newer ones are MUCH better.
The duallies with wide track front end are awesome, like a car.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Key being to having a good visualization of where the curb side rear wheel is...
Definitely. Doesn't change the fact that a longer vehicle physically won't fit into a number of parking spaces that I use regularly. Keeping things smaller is better.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Big trucks are definitely a tool of the suburbs, in the early 90s I had a long bed F250 that was a real pain in the ass in the city - it was smaller than many m of today's trucks and I'm pretty sure streets haven't gotten any wider. Another annoying issue was u turning on narrow fire roads. I'll never go long bed again.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Drove a 2wd Auto V6 TRD Offroad, double cab short bed. Honestly think even that is bigger than I really want. I'm going to ponder a little more but I think it might be time to revisit wagon options.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I picked up a low mileage C5 Allroad and love it, but that would be too close to the headaches you're trying to get rid of now. The new models don't do it for me, but I wouldn't kick one out of the garage. The Volvo wagon could be the best of the wagons available in the states. I can't even consider a Subaru as I live in Colorado and the only thing more popular than golden retrievers and bluegrass is Subaru.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Tundra. Just park at the other end of the grocery store lot, and enjoy the comfort on riding trips. Less ridiculous pricing than the Tacomas (if you happen to be looking used) and really not THAT much worse mileage.

BlackOhio - You live in Camarillo now? You're just down the road from me in Ventura. Let me know if you really want to beat the living shit out of that Husky...I'll help ya out. Or does that belong to someone else?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Drove a 2wd Auto V6 TRD Offroad, double cab short bed. Honestly think even that is bigger than I really want. I'm going to ponder a little more but I think it might be time to revisit wagon options.
my when taco died, size was a big factor in me finding something else. that, and price as we had discussed.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I went through this a couple years ago after settling on a wagon to replace my old Cherokee. The Acura wagon would be more attractive with a better motor but that 4 cyl is kind of a turd. (Fancy body panels and lowered suspension can't change that.) The Volvo V60 is pretty small for my taste. I'd go XC60 or 70 if going Volvo. The Outback checks a lot of boxes but just didn't wind me up as a driver's car, and the Forester is just so meh. The VW Sportwagon was intriguing but also kind of boring to me.

I ended up getting a really good deal on a 2015 Audi allroad. I sort of always wanted one and kept coming back to it. I was able to find a fully-loaded one in a dealer fleet with super low miles. Basically new but a lot cheaper and I got an additional 2 years on the warranty. It's been really solid so far. Fun to drive and swallows plenty of gear for road trips. There is a new one coming out for 2017 based on the new A4. Pricey though.