Quantcast

The Spend HAB's Money Thread

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I can tell you what I did and I am totally happy with how it turned out. I have had an 05 Tacoma that now has 235,000 miles on it. So, last year I bought a new VW GTI. I use it as my fun run around car, driving to work, and running my daughter around etc.... And I kept my Tacoma for driving on days that I ride. This allows me to keep from trashing my car, and the truck still runs great. I also had justification for keeping my truck because I use it to deliver my wife's book 3 days a month. It is a good setup for me and you already have the car so.....

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
maybe 20mpg?

I looked for a good used tacoma on and off for about a year. That used market is tough. 80k miles for $25-$30k. (that said, they do run forever +)

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I can tell you what I did and I am totally happy with how it turned out. I have had an 05 Tacoma that now has 235,000 miles on it. So, last year I bought a new VW GTI. I use it as my fun run around car, driving to work, and running my daughter around etc.... And I kept my Tacoma for driving on days that I ride. This allows me to keep from trashing my car, and the truck still runs great. I also had justification for keeping my truck because I use it to deliver my wife's book 3 days a month. It is a good setup for me and you already have the car so.....
I did basically the same thing, but the opposite really. Have a 2010 Focus I bought new that now has 190k miles on it but still runs beautifully, and can haul my bikes/kayak/SUP, etc. Bought a brand new Wrangler a couple months ago as my "fun" car. I've been driving the Wrangler mostly recently only because it's new, but the plan is to drive the car to/from work (80% of my overall mileage), and weekends if it's crappy out. Weekends and super nice week days I'll drive the Wrangler. Doing that will keep me from racking up a ton of miles on the Jeep.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I looked for a good used tacoma on and off for about a year. That used market is tough. 80k miles for $25-$30k. (that said, they do run forever +)
Yeah, the used market is nutty. MSRP on the one I'd want new is about $32k, I'd be tempted to just go that route and plan on handing down the thing as a family heirloom.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Related question / thread hijack: shall I get REVO stage 1 chip for my wife's 1.8T VW Beetle? She does not drive manual any more so I mostly drive it around town for small errands and to/from train station. The prospect of torque boost from 160lbft to 220lbft sounds appealing. :redface:

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Can you even fit more than two adults in one of those (and have it be comfortable for any length of time)? I don't really haul a bunch of people around that much, but it would be nice to leave the option open.
You can, but it's not fun for anybody. I've had a full sized adult in the access cab for a trip just under two hours, but he hasn't volunteered to do it again. Even a 30 minute drive back there is tough, it's really tight (even sitting sideways). The access cab is almost entirely used for gear.

Mine is a 4cyl 5 speed, I get 22-23 mpg in a mix of highway and mountain road driving on a trip. It's pretty common for the V6s to get under 20 mpg.

I've driven friend's V6s in both manual and auto, and they're obviously faster and get up a hill with less effort, but still not "fast." They do make great bike trip vehicles though.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
Related question / thread hijack: shall I get REVO stage 1 chip for my wife's 1.8T VW Beetle? She does not drive manual any more so I mostly drive it around town for small errands and to/from train station. The prospect of torque boost from 160lbft to 220lbft sounds appealing. :redface:
20V non direct injection? Honestly i'd leave the beetle be probably. Just end up breaking the motormounts and then the downpipe from the torque bump. Those early 20v's (especially the audi sideways variant) loved cracking the downpipe at the flange. If the motormounts are all good and solid why not then. Otherwise i imagine you'll be bolting a K04 on soon.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Gas mileage wise, before the 33's (and mind you I only now have 4K on the truck so it's breaking in) I got 20-26 highway depending on traffic and about 19 city.

I bought the TRD OR because all the MITS system. Which subsequently I have yet to use.

Depending on cab configuration I've driven 4 adults to lunch without complaints. I wouldnt want to do XC that way. but theres plenty on interior room in the big cab for 3 adults for sure. As much room as you are going to find in any non A6 / 5 series and up sedan/wagon. It's not like a WRX is going to have any more legroom. I find the seats plenty comfortable for drives, longest i've done though in them is around 1 - 1.5 hours

I can say this, 4 door and long bed is a big truck, not wide but it's long.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
You can, but it's not fun for anybody. I've had a full sized adult in the access cab for a trip just under two hours, but he hasn't volunteered to do it again. Even a 30 minute drive back there is tough, it's really tight (even sitting sideways). The access cab is almost entirely used for gear.

Mine is a 4cyl 5 speed, I get 22-23 mpg in a mix of highway and mountain road driving on a trip. It's pretty common for the V6s to get under 20 mpg.

I've driven friend's V6s in both manual and auto, and they're obviously faster and get up a hill with less effort, but still not "fast." They do make great bike trip vehicles though.
Thanks. I don't need this to be fast by any measure. The 4 cyl would probably be fine, but I'd like a manual and a double cab, which means the V6...

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I did basically the same thing, but the opposite really. Have a 2010 Focus I bought new that now has 190k miles on it but still runs beautifully, and can haul my bikes/kayak/SUP, etc. Bought a brand new Wrangler a couple months ago as my "fun" car. I've been driving the Wrangler mostly recently only because it's new, but the plan is to drive the car to/from work (80% of my overall mileage), and weekends if it's crappy out. Weekends and super nice week days I'll drive the Wrangler. Doing that will keep me from racking up a ton of miles on the Jeep.
I hear ya on racking up the miles. The one thing I have learned since I got my car is how big of a dirt ball I am. I still drive my truck all the time because I am constantly doing dirt ball things. I am on pace to only have 10,000 miles on my GTI this summer when I will have had it for a whole year.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Thanks. I don't need this to be fast by any measure. The 4 cyl would probably be fine, but I'd like a manual and a double cab, which means the V6...
With the extra weight of the double cab, and the people/stuff you'd put in it, you want a V6. AFAIK, the V6 double cab only comes in a short bed with the manual. The DCLB makes for a nice hauler, but it definitely feels like a long-ass truck by comparison.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
The new V6, i've seen people averaging 24 highway and 19/20 city in one of the fuel economy threads. Dont know if this is MFA display or GPS averaged. I drive about 30 miles a day and don't honestly fill up anymore than I did with my A6. I put gas in probably every Friday which includes errands all weekend. I've never even tried averaging fuel or really keeping track. Between the bigger wheels/tires and roof light bar I couldn't care really.

I think all the complaints people have with the auto v6 is negated in the manual truck.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Okay, I'm sold on the manual V6 if I end up going the Tacoma route. Gonna go drive one tonight and see how I like it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
FWIW I bought my 2007 Land Cruiser in early 2014 for $24.5k. Unlike Tacomas Land Cruisers apparently don't have the bro-dawg following that prevents depreciation. Mine was/is fully loaded with a $68k sticker, iirc. In exchange I get a quiet, comfortable vehicle to haul people and gear anywhere. Only downside is 14 mpg city.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
One drive of a new Taco with a 4 cylinder and you'll realize you definitely want the V6. My girl just got a 2016 4X4 Off Road, V6, double-cab, short bed. Pretty rad vehicle all around. Like someone else said, even with the V6 you need to make it work to get some giddy-up. The auto shifts too early for my taste and it can feel boggy as a result. It's a lot peppier in manual (Sport) mode.

If you go the pickup route it's worth looking a the new Fords and Chevys. You can get a bigger motor for a lot less dough.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I hear ya on racking up the miles. The one thing I have learned since I got my car is how big of a dirt ball I am. I still drive my truck all the time because I am constantly doing dirt ball things. I am on pace to only have 10,000 miles on my GTI this summer when I will have had it for a whole year.
I've had the Jeep 6 weeks and I just rolled 2,500 miles....

TOO. MUCH. FUN.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
If you go the pickup route it's worth looking a the new Fords and Chevys. You can get a bigger motor for a lot less dough.
I definitely don't want a full size truck. I'm concerned that the Tacoma will be a bigger vehicle than I want to deal with as is. The Colorado/Canyon is an option, but the manual transmission options are much more limited (i.e. 2WD 4 cyl only) which is a big plus for Toyota in my book.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
The colorado interior looks like it was cut and sewn from dolphin dick, and im willing to wager that 1 year out and that truck will be worth at least 10K less, and the only colorado worth getting is the Diesel but it comes in close to 50K and did barely better than the taco v6 towing a boat up the ike gauntlet.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I definitely don't want a full size truck. I'm concerned that the Tacoma will be a bigger vehicle than I want to deal with as is. The Colorado/Canyon is an option, but the manual transmission options are much more limited (i.e. 2WD 4 cyl only) which is a big plus for Toyota in my book.
tuk-tuk it is

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The colorado interior looks like it was cut and sewn from dolphin dick, and im willing to wager that 1 year out and that truck will be worth at least 10K less, and the only colorado worth getting is the Diesel but it comes in close to 50K and did barely better than the taco v6 towing a boat up the ike gauntlet.
I haven't seen a Colorado in person yet, but the interior does look pretty shitty in pictures.

I'd look at one just to feel like I'd done my due diligence, but the Taco is the truck option frontrunner by a mile.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
I haven't seen a Colorado in person yet, but the interior does look pretty shitty in pictures.

I'd look at one just to feel like I'd done my due diligence, but the Taco is the truck option frontrunner by a mile.
I was moments away from a deposit on the Colorado diesel, but couldn't deal with the interior and somewhat homely looks of that truck.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Also, just realized that they do offer a 4x4 V6 manual in the double cab short bed TRD offroad. MSRP is exactly the same as the equivalent TRD Sport.

Do I understand correctly that the differences are basically that sport has bigger wheels and more road oriented tires, and lacks the lockable rear differential and descent control?

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Also, just realized that they do offer a 4x4 V6 manual in the double cab short bed TRD offroad. MSRP is exactly the same as the equivalent TRD Sport.

Do I understand correctly that the differences are basically that sport has bigger wheels and more road oriented tires, and lacks the lockable rear differential and descent control?
TRDOR sits 1" taller, lacks the front airdam and hood scoop, has black fender flares.
OR has the kevlar goodyears, different rims. If all things being equal. The TRDOR is going to hold value better with the options it has for wheeling, even if joe hardcore wheeler doesnt want the computer doing all the shit for him.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Thanks.

It's a lot easier to find a manual in the TRDS, but it's nice to have the option in the OR too.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Coming in late, but what about an older Tundra? I had an '03, which was pretty much indestructible in the time I had it. Just a little bit bigger than the Taco, but the extra leg room is nice.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
TRDOR sits 1" taller, lacks the front airdam and hood scoop, has black fender flares.
OR has the kevlar goodyears, different rims. If all things being equal. The TRDOR is going to hold value better with the options it has for wheeling, even if joe hardcore wheeler doesnt want the computer doing all the shit for him.
Pretty sure it's only the TRD Pro that gets the suspension lift. The big draw to the OR is the rear locker, ATRAC and crawl control but at the expense of getting the 8" differential if that matters to you.

I got the SR5 and don't regret it. The fancy electronics are cool and all but I don't think their inclusion is worth the price over the age old combination of good tires, ARBs and a winch if you are venturing out there.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
We were never able to verify but the Toyota sales guy told us the OR has "softer" suspension as compared to the Sport, which has "sport tuned" suspension, which I assume is stiffer and better for pavement.

The OR also has 16" wheels compared to 17" on the Sport, with some of the difference made up in tires. (You know, like 29 v. 27+. Ha!!)

Some people see the Sport as better for people who want to look like a real truck person but who don't want or need real off-road capability.

More here: http://www.serratoyota.com/blog/whats-the-difference-between-the-2016-tacoma-trd-sport-and-trd-off-road/

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Coming in late, but what about an older Tundra? I had an '03, which was pretty much indestructible in the time I had it. Just a little bit bigger than the Taco, but the extra leg room is nice.
T100 or Pickup for life! :D

(I actually really like the honesty of those early T100s, and still see the odd pre-Tacoma-name Pickup here and there.)

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
T100 or Pickup for life! :D

(I actually really like the honesty of those early T100s, and still see the odd pre-Tacoma-name Pickup here and there.)

Totally agreed that the honest simplicity of those is admirable. It's not what I want, but I appreciate them.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
We were never able to verify but the Toyota sales guy told us the OR has "softer" suspension as compared to the Sport, which has "sport tuned" suspension, which I assume is stiffer and better for pavement.

The OR also has 16" wheels compared to 17" on the Sport, with some of the difference made up in tires. (You know, like 29 v. 27+. Ha!!)

Some people see the Sport as better for people who want to look like a real truck person but who don't want or need real off-road capability.

More here: http://www.serratoyota.com/blog/whats-the-difference-between-the-2016-tacoma-trd-sport-and-trd-off-road/
Indeed. The OR has offroad tuned Bilsteins while the Sport has firmer tuned Bilsteins and a slightly thicker sway bar. Sports also have the 8.4" differential with LSD.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Well, dammit. The TRD Sport 6MT I was going to drive today sold. They'll show me an auto though.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
It's a thought. I'm reluctant to go to anything bigger than a Taco (I know the prior gen Tundras aren't a lot bigger, but a Tacoma is pushing what I want size wise already) but a used Tundra would be better value. I'll do some shopping.