Quantcast

* Third stay *

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Avalanche Woodie for my xprezo. the resi contacts the seat mast, which is removable and also steel. it only begins to contact at bottom out, so i feel like this is a situation that could be resolved with a hammer.
Before you go kinetic, could you put a thin spacer/washer between the mast boss and the frame on either side? Spread it subtly that way?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Before you go kinetic, could you put a thin spacer/washer between the mast boss and the frame on either side? Spread it subtly that way?
i don't believe so, it's a single bolt that connects the mast, shock, and front triangle, so adding spacers would reduce the amount of thread engagement. there's no nut, the non-drive side mount of the seat mast is tapped.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
i don't believe so, it's a single bolt that connects the mast, shock, and front triangle, so adding spacers would reduce the amount of thread engagement. there's no nut, the non-drive side mount of the seat mast is tapped.
They make longer bolts...and how much thread engagement do you need? If you lose 1/16" is it gonna be something loctite can't reassure you about?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Nah, I believe you man! Just a thought on how you might bend it gently into a usable form without needing to cut/grind/get destructive. If it don't work it don't work.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
E37364EF-5ED8-47C3-AEBF-922ECD463200.jpeg
82859F0E-44DC-43CD-B817-E96A4D24D001.jpeg

waiting for Land Cruiser to get its last oil change at the shop formerly known as Comprehensive Car Care. Now it’s sold to a chain, Urban Auto Care. Without the old grumpy dudes calling the (honest, Toyota/Honda/Subaru only) shots no reason for me to trek down here specially any more.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
That looks like a dumb design anyway to my armchair internet engineer trained eye. (Reminds me of the shock bolt fix that someone posted a YT video of where they had to get a machinist to create them a new replacement alternative).

Go forth and whack things with a lump hammer until they bend to your will.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That looks like a dumb design anyway to my armchair internet engineer trained eye. (Reminds me of the shock bolt fix that someone posted a YT video of where they had to get a machinist to create them a new replacement alternative).

Go forth and whack things with a lump hammer until they bend to your will.
given how the whole interface is configured it's not *that* bad. i've been riding it for 10 years (including 3 full years of DH racing), so it works well enough. fwiw it is a hardened steel bolt.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
A machinist could turn you one of those with longer threads out, right quick...just bring a larger-size bolt with the head of your choice and they'll turn it down from that...
yea, i know someone who could probably do it. i'm trying to avoid having to get into a lot of custom fabrication if possible.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Don't know dimensions, but that looks like a regular shoulder bolt. Any chance you could source a replacement at McMaster.

i'm not a bolt master, but its certainly possible. the swingarm bolt is a standard one (and i was able to procure replacements from mcmaster) so that would make sense.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
This reminds me my $30 mechanical dial caliper died and I need a new one. I bought a $15 traditional vernier because it was all I could find at the local hardware I was visiting. NO, THANK YOU.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
well, thanks to the complicated requirements for passwords, and the constant need to change them, I couldn't remember the password on my work phone, and it has just fucking wiped itself. fucking annoying. what a waste of fucking time.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Ordered myself a helmet. Figured my 16-year-old Bell foamie fullface was likely not what I needed to trust my head to now that I'm going fast down things again.

O'Neal Sonus Deft.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Ruh roh.....in compiling my updated bike shop setup, I've stumbled upon the Ohlins special tools rabbit hole.

Someone take my wallet from me, plz.