Quantcast

2005 Iron Horse Heyah

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
DW...

Does the "7 series" have the same shock mounting as the Sunday?
(ie does it mount to the bottom swing link, or does it mount to the frame)

If it is different, how does that affect the susp?

Hans

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
OMFG! It's gorgeous, it makes me wanna do this and this and this.......but has ANYONE considered WHAT TO WEAR when riding the green beast? A bike this good (looking) DEMANDS some serious race kit! I'd be inclined to think that It'd buck me if I wasn't up to scratch! Am I the only one who wants to know!? :love:
BTW; ska todd if you hook up a danish distributor at eurobike would you be so kind as to post it here!? Thanx. :thumb:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Hans said:
OMFG! It's gorgeous, it makes me wanna do this and this and this.......but has ANYONE considered WHAT TO WEAR when riding the green beast? A bike this good (looking) DEMANDS some serious race kit! I'd be inclined to think that It'd buck me if I wasn't up to scratch! Am I the only one who wants to know!? :love:
BTW; ska todd if you hook up a danish distributor at eurobike would you be so kind as to post it here!? Thanx. :thumb:
if todd hooks up with a danish distributor I'm gonna tell his wife... :blah:

:nuts:

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
-BB- said:
DW...

Does the "7 series" have the same shock mounting as the Sunday?
(ie does it mount to the bottom swing link, or does it mount to the frame)

If it is different, how does that affect the susp?
The 5 series and 7 series have the lower shock mounted to series-specific forging that includes the lower shock mount, the lower frame pivot mount, and the bottom bracket. All three of the bikes have very similar leverage rate progressions, and the shock mounting location is really similar. The DH bike lower frame pivot is just a bit more forward on account of the slightly longer links and specific suspension needs of the DH bike.

dw

greenreese

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Will the seat be able to come down further than on the SGS series bikes? For more seat stand over clearance?

I was debating getting a downhill bike, spending all that money, just wanting to ride for fun and not race, living a few hours from most mountains, having never ridden (real) downhill before, wondering how much I would actually ride it, having two bikes to maintain...

That settles it.

-dAn

davod

Chimp
Jun 13, 2004
davod said:
Are IH bikes made in the same factory as santa cruz ones? because they definately look similar.
On second thoughts, they don't. There's just something about that seat tube brace on the mkIII that makes me think Santa Cruz, even though no SC's have one. Hmmmmm, must be part of that voodoo effect.

Or maybe it's just the colour's (bright green, blue and yellow).

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
greenreese said:
Will the seat be able to come down further than on the SGS series bikes? For more seat stand over clearance?

I was debating getting a downhill bike, spending all that money, just wanting to ride for fun and not race, living a few hours from most mountains, having never ridden (real) downhill before, wondering how much I would actually ride it, having two bikes to maintain...

That settles it.

-dAn
There's definitely more seat tube than the SGS, so quite a bit of adjustment is possible. Not sure of exact numbers, though. 7POINT has a full length seat-tube, though... :)

greenreese

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
dante said:
There's definitely more seat tube than the SGS, so quite a bit of adjustment is possible. Not sure of exact numbers, though. 7POINT has a full length seat-tube, though... :)
Yeah, I just want to know if the overall seat height from the ground will able to be lower.

-dAn

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Hey Dan,

The 05 Sunday frames and their seat heights are actually quite improved over the FSR link SGS bikes.

The smaller of the 2 sizes is a 17" size frame and is closer to the length of the 19" frame last year, but with the ability to use a lower seat height. The 17" Sunday frame has 9" of seatpost insertion (thats a LOT). The 7 Point series can use as long of a seatpost as you can find!

dw

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Geometry for Mike on Sunday:

17" frame size with 8 inch Boxxer and e.thirteen reducer cups
65 head angle
13.9 BB height
17.25 CS length
45.25 Wheelbase
23.5 virtual TT
64.5 SA

dw

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Too bad IH doesn't see the market in Canada and keep on dealing with a a non-distributing distributor that doesn't give a sh!t about high-end bikes. :eviltongu

tartosuc

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
montreal
FlipSide said:
Too bad IH doesn't see the market in Canada and keep on dealing with a a non-distributing distributor that doesn't give a sh!t about high-end bikes. :eviltongu

I'm with you on that one!

I would reaaly like to buy a 7point7 for 2005, but since i cant get one here i will have to look for something else...and that sucks!

RogerH

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Sweden
Can anyone in the know, please post geometry specs of the 7point (size small)?

The 7Point7 really looks spot on!

Will the 7-series be offered as framesets, as well? Maybe it's too early, but frame-weight? Tire clearance?

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Dude... BOTH of you guys could get one of these bikes if you really wanted.
Canada may have a decent high end bike market compared to the US, but even the US market isn't very big.
With small markets, it is very hard to determine customer demand in specific areas... thus, it really doesn't make sense for the distributor to put a bunch of bikes on the floor taking up shelf space and inventory maintnance costs.

As I said above, anyone in the know about these bikes will also be able to find some way to aquire one should they have sufficient desire.

It may suck for you Flip, but it could also help IH keep the overall price down for the rest of us, asincreased cost of inventory would be distributed among the bikes that DO sell.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
binary visions said:
Interesting.. Over an inch longer WB than the current SGS but with shorter chainstays...

Actually, the Sunday 17" size is a "medium", compared to last years 19" size SGS was a "medium".

So basically, wheelbases stayed about the same, with a little addition for the 8" forks, but seat tube lengths got shorter with more insertion depth.

dw

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
Sounds like the 17" will fit shorter riders. With a 7" fork maybe around a 29" standover and not too low of a BB.

For us shorter riders there is not much under 30" standover offerings on full up DH rigs. I know standover height is over hyped but my boys need some room when things don't go right....

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Supa8 said:
Sounds like the 17" will fit shorter riders. With a 7" fork maybe around a 29" standover and not too low of a BB.

For us shorter riders there is not much under 30" standover offerings on full up DH rigs. I know standover height is over hyped but my boys need some room when things don't go right....

You got it. The Sunday frames (both sizes) are in the 29 inch standover range. The bikes really have a very low center of mass, and a pretty low standover. Most people who saw the frames at the races though that they were slalom bikes!

dw

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
-BB- said:
Dude... BOTH of you guys could get one of these bikes if you really wanted.
Canada may have a decent high end bike market compared to the US, but even the US market isn't very big.
With small markets, it is very hard to determine customer demand in specific areas... thus, it really doesn't make sense for the distributor to put a bunch of bikes on the floor taking up shelf space and inventory maintnance costs.

As I said above, anyone in the know about these bikes will also be able to find some way to aquire one should they have sufficient desire.

It may suck for you Flip, but it could also help IH keep the overall price down for the rest of us, asincreased cost of inventory would be distributed among the bikes that DO sell.
You are right it is always possible to get any bike if we want it. My comment was more about the very limited availability in Canada, which cannot be good for IH who, I presume, are in the business to sell bikes.

Yes I could buy a IH through Supergo, but then...how would a possible warranty issue be treated? I also know it could be possible to get one by contacting the Dropmachine guys...but this option may possibly cause some problem in case of a warranty issue (maybe, I don't know). The point is that the Canadian distributor doesn't seem interested in distributing the bikes here and I think that's a shame. *I* would know how to get a bike, but most people wouldn't and I don't understand how a dynamic company like IronHorse can continue to do nothing to distribute their bikes in Canada. We're not in the middle-east or in the middle of the Pacific ocean...we are very close neibors of the US. I just don't get it. :help:

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
For anyone in Canada, I will do whatever it takes to get you on one of those bikes. Hell, if I have to, I will arrange to have them shipped to you myself. I will do some investigating into the warranty, but i can't see why it would be voided.

SportChek may not be the best, but they are trying to improve, and hopefully that will soon become apparant.

tartosuc

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
montreal
FlipSide said:
You are right it is always possible to get any bike if we want it. My comment was more about the very limited availability in Canada, which cannot be good for IH who, I presume, are in the business to sell bikes.

Yes I could buy a IH through Supergo, but then...how would a possible warranty issue be treated? I also know it could be possible to get one by contacting the Dropmachine guys...but this option may possibly cause some problem in case of a warranty issue (maybe, I don't know). The point is that the Canadian distributor doesn't seem interested in distributing the bikes here and I think that's a shame. *I* would know how to get a bike, but most people wouldn't and I don't understand how a dynamic company like IronHorse can continue to do nothing to distribute their bikes in Canada. We're not in the middle-east or in the middle of the Pacific ocean...we are very close neibors of the US. I just don't get it. :help:
I totally agree with flipside on that again...It's mostly a matter of warranty service that bugs me, my LBS wont be able to help me when I need help...

Right now, I have a turner dhr, a very rare bike in canada, at least we have a distributer in canada to help us for parts and warranty that my LBS can contact...

The problem comes basically from the sportscheck/sport expert store who has the contract to sell Iron Horse bicycle in canada, they dont want to sell high ends IH beacause it's not their market! a friend of mine tried to order a sgs dh last year trough them and They never even wanted to order one for him!!! I think it's just unacceptable to have an official IH resseller in Canada that refuse to sell the high end line of IH! Iron Horse should adress that matter and make somekind of availability trough another distributer to satisfy their customer.

@dropmachine.com, thanks for your help, it's very appreciated to have someone kind enough to help. i will give a friend your name so he can contact you regarding the ike he'S looking for...and i will contact you later this year for the one I want...

greenreese

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
dw said:
Hey Dan,

The 05 Sunday frames and their seat heights are actually quite improved over the FSR link SGS bikes.

The smaller of the 2 sizes is a 17" size frame and is closer to the length of the 19" frame last year, but with the ability to use a lower seat height. The 17" Sunday frame has 9" of seatpost insertion (thats a LOT). The 7 Point series can use as long of a seatpost as you can find!

dw
Sweet! That was my only concern. I am 6'2 and my friends megium sgs feels like the seat is set for XC, even though it is all the way down. Awesome.

-dAn

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Warranty issue isn't really an issue. Maybe you have a jaded view of the United States but it's not like you can walk into any shop and get replacement parts for free for any frame. In most cases you'll end up dealing directly with a distributor or manufacturer because the LBS's don't want to or don't know how to, especially where high end stuff is concerned. I'd say just get a bike by any means possible and if you have warranty problems (which really you shouldn't expect on a high end bike anyway) have them resolved by contacting IH direct, every story I've heared so far has been in IH's favor, they continually get points for good CS, why do you think a call from canada would be treated any differently than one from the US?

HypNoTic

Man Whore
Aug 3, 2004
Montreal, Qc
Just like Flipside and Tartosuc, i have to admit that the non-availability of the Iron Horse high-end bikes in Canada is truly bad for their image. After all, one of their main sponsored athlete, Mat Laurin, which sit on their frontpage on the web, is a french-speaking Quebebec. We have to see the guy perform on bikes that we cannot have.

SportTek/SportExpert is not helping much right now. The BTAC is coming in 2 weeks and it would be a very nice surprise to see a canadian distributor finally able to fullfill the requests up north. The market want these machines.

Looks like i'll have to look for something else than the MKIII Expert I really wanted because the service issue is too annoying for the poor mech I am.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Don't worry...I know what the US is like. I never though you get parts for free all the time.

The fact is that If you're a Canadian resident that bought a bike part online and the part is defective, there are more chances for you to end up SOL than if you bought this part through your lbs. If you're not SOL and there's actually something to be done with your warranty claim, then you'll still have to ship the part back to the US, pay shipping, wait, try to sort out what's going with the online retailer on the phone, wait some more...how complicated is that compared to bringing back the part to the shop where you bought it?

That's the point I'm trying to make.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Des oreilles de criss pis des oeufs dans l'sirop d'érable...pis d'la poutine aussi! :blah:

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
The only differance is you may wait longer in shipping. Most LBS's don't stock high end bikes or parts for them, if you have a problem with a bike out of the box you'll still wait for parts to be shipped rather you are paying for it or rather the shop is paying. I guess you just have to ask yourself, "how much faith do I have in IH." If I was to purchase an IH bike I'd personally do so mail order because I can get the bike I want this week from an online dealer rather than having to wait a couple weeks for the LBS to get around to ordering it. High end bikes have come a long way in the last couple years, you won't find bikes out of the box that aren't working, if you do it's likely a shock which will be sent to progressive, manitou or fox reguardless of where you bought the bike.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
greenreese said:
Sweet! That was my only concern. I am 6'2 and my friends megium sgs feels like the seat is set for XC, even though it is all the way down. Awesome.

-dAn

One interesting thing that I have noticed about myself and other downhillers is that as skills improve and you start to get faster, downhillers tend to run a higher seat height. Not that it really pertains to the conversation, just a random note.

dw

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
You have some very valid points Kornflake and I believe you are right. It shouldn't be too much of a problem to buy online if I wanted to (I also said this earlier). However, I'm a strong supporter of my lbs and I try to buy online as little as possible (this is my problem...I know, I know... ;) ) The only things I've ever bought online were a fork on clearout and a set of Hayes brakes. Thanks to the Canadian distributor, the retail price here is much higher than in the US...I had 3 options: Buy online, buy used for the same price as the new set online...or ride DH brakeless.

All I wanted to say in this thread is that IH has a distributor in Canada and this distributor doesn't want to distribute the bikes in most areas. I can't understand the logic behind that and why IH doesn't do anything about it. That's all. :(

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
If anyone has a problem concerning ordering, warranty, sales, etc with SportChek/etc, PLEASE contact IH directly or send me an email travis@_NOSPAM_ironhorsebikes.com. Any SportChek store should be able to order you what you want, and even if they don't have one in stock in their Canadian warehouse, if we have it in stock we can ship it up to them. We are trying to work with SportChek to provide better service and we want to hear about any issues such as shops refusing to order, etc.

THANKS!!
dante
(aka Travis)

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
dw said:

65 head angle
13.9 BB height
17.25 CS length
45.25 Wheelbase
23.5 virtual TT
64.5 SA

dw
DW,
Great looking bike, I already have one on order in VW Jazz Blue and can't wait to get it. I am debating on ordering one for my wife but have a concern of the top tube. She is currently riding a 17" 04 SGS Team with a slider+ and a 40mm stem. The reach just does fit her. Given the Sunday's 23.5" TT, would a 17" Sunday fit her?

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Thanks Guard!

The 17" Sunday may be a little long for her, but there is talk about an early season release of a 15" size frame, or at least a 17" short frame. The 05 Sunday frame is really close in size to the 03 and 04 19" SGS frames.

Have a good one

Dave

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
FlipSide said:

Yes, it is a shame.
I see your point too, but then agian... Most people won't want this bike. Only people that are really into DH and FR. Those people will know where to get one.

Things could change though. Maybe a Supergo like company could be started up there. Maybe YOU should start a supergo-like shop.
And I'm not trying to poke fun at you either. If you think that there is a need for this type of retailer, and no one is filling that need, maybe YOU should.
I'm all for the small guy making it big. Just look at DW. ;)

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
dw said:

65 head angle
13.9 BB height
17.25 CS length
45.25 Wheelbase
23.5 virtual TT
64.5 SA

dw
Call me Peter Griffin...but that's freakin' sweet!

Wow. Personally, I'd like the chainstays a tad shorter, but 17.25 is still pretty good, and perhaps it's time I learned to ride a DH bike like a DH bike should be ridden...who needs to lift the front end with an 8" fork?