Quantcast

2010 Marzocchi 888 Evo tuning thread

Manifesto

Monkey
Aug 16, 2009
your moms basement
hey can someone help me? i've got a 2010 evo ti and can't get this fork 'perfect', can someone with a dialed setup give me there settings, please.

Spring: 7.7nm 'X-FIRM'
Tune: Vanderham specific tune
Weight of me: 187 lbs

I can't seem to get the rebound perfect, its either too fast, too slow or dead. Can you guys hookup some of your settings, i would appreciate it so very much.

thanks,
j

Manifesto

Monkey
Aug 16, 2009
your moms basement
Meaning when it feels too fast and you add one click it then feels too slow? Hmm, replace a couple ml of the 7.5wt oil with 10wt and see if you can find a happy clicker position?
Naw,
fork is as smooth as butter. I just cant find a happy medium. Do you have your settings? I kind of want a bike that is slow enough that the front wheel doesnt hop around but fast enough that it doesnt pack up.

I CANT FIND A GOOD SETTING! It's really pissing me off.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
My weight and spring are too different from your's for a direct comparison but I use either the 9th or 10th click of rebound (where 1 is full fast) depending on conditions. It's a small difference. In most situations I use the faster setting cuz I don't want the front packing and getting low and steep. I use the slower setting when the bumps are smaller, traction is the problem, or the track isn't steep.

Last edited:

92SE-R

piston slapper
Feb 5, 2004
San Diego, CA
I'm 140 lbs and run the stock spring with volume adjust backed out, and 4 clicks of compression. A couple clicks of preload. ANd I get full travel at whistler.

stock oil heights too

Xetal

Chimp
May 30, 2011
I ran 3 days with grease instead of foam rings and the plushness of the fork was greatly improved. I opened her up yesterday to see and there was plenty of grease left and it wasnt contaminated at all. So grease for me is a keeper.

The VA piston is obviously defect in my fork. Always over 1" of oil on top of it... I wacked it out and added 100ml of oil instead. Ill see how it performs. I dont use the VA adjustment anyways.
Update **

With the VA piston out and added oil the fork felt a lot better during the day. Plush from start till end.

The added 100ml oil is not enough. I hardly bottomed out 3 times on successive HS big hits. Nothing to worry but i was running 0 click of VA with the piston in. So if any one go that route i suggest to add more then 100ml. Ima make it 125ml and see.

Keep in mind im 200lbs and ride heavy. A light rider or smooth rider should be ok with 100ml.

peterdaam

Chimp
Aug 8, 2002
Vancouver BC Canada
So i managed to get a 2011 888 RC3 EVO Ti and have had a few days on it already, here is my info:

150 pounds
2011 Demo8 with 350# rear coil spring
So far have ridden Fromme (Ladies Only and Espresso), Seymour (2x CBC to bottom laps) and a day up at the Whistler Bike Park.

888: stock (medium) coil and no changes to the internal oil volumes or shim stack
12 clicks rebound
0 clicks air volume (at max air volume)
0 clicks preload
4 clicks compression

I had a 2009 Fox 40 FIT RC2 before the 888 and i really liked the fork, very predictable but i just wanted to try something else. After reading all these posts i was convince and picked up a 888!
So far the ride is INCREDIBLY SMOOTH, i can't get over how well it absorbs the chatter bumps at the park, my arms and hands didn't hurt at all after a hard day of riding. I'm utilizing all of the travel of the fork with no feelings of bottoming out. It seems as though regular riding i get about 7" of travel and then on a big hit i end up using it all.

there is a difference between the 888 and 40 that i've noticed, the rebound feels a bit different. It's hard to explain and it could just be that i'm used to the 40 after running it for 4 years, but it almost seems like the 888 isn't quite as 'smart'. The 40 had a more consistent feel for the rebound, almost like it adapted to the terrain and speed, the 888 doesn't quite feel like that. Maybe it just means i need more time on the fork to get used to it.

But overall, even with the rebound, the fork is amazing! Glad i made the change! Very excited to reap the benefits of the rebuild intervals and dependability that Marz is well known for now.

As an asside, i am so sold on the Marz feeling that i've just sold my 36 Talas RC2 and picking up a 55 RC3 Ti!!! (is there a thread on this fork for tuning etc?!)

peterdaam

Chimp
Aug 8, 2002
Vancouver BC Canada
I'm not sure if i'd want it much quicker. I turned it until it was engaging too much then sped it up to feel similar to the rear, put me at 12 clicks in from full out.

But thanks for the tip, I might as well give it a try, got nothing to lose!

gollub01

Chimp
Sep 10, 2010
jh wyoming
I spoke with Bobby today.....2012's are available this week ! We've already had a 2012 888cr in. Amazingly smooth fork. External adjustments, etc. Way smoother than anything that has ever come out of RS or Fox. And for the price.....The "window" crown looks pretty sweet.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
some redundant and useful info via Vital. i never looked at HSC as "small bump compliance" though
You're right it's not - impacts with low amplitude (even with high velocity - such as small bumps) will fall into the LSC region, as a reasonable amplitude is needed to start opening the HS valving in most cases.

So square edged hits / braking bumps will be in the HSC region, but small chatter generally will usually be dealt with by the tyres, and may be felt through the bike if there's too much LSC (especially if the damping is kicking in at very low shaft speeds).

staike

Monkey
May 19, 2011
Norway
Hey guys, I'm 135 lbs / 62 kg, will a Medium spring work fine for me? If it is slightly to stiff (which I think it might be), what magical tricks can I do to make it better for me except getting a new spring?

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
You're right it's not - impacts with low amplitude (even with high velocity - such as small bumps) will fall into the LSC region, as a reasonable amplitude is needed to start opening the HS valving in most cases.

So square edged hits / braking bumps will be in the HSC region, but small chatter generally will usually be dealt with by the tyres, and may be felt through the bike if there's too much LSC (especially if the damping is kicking in at very low shaft speeds).
This.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Hey guys, I'm 135 lbs / 62 kg, will a Medium spring work fine for me? If it is slightly to stiff (which I think it might be), what magical tricks can I do to make it better for me except getting a new spring?
Remove the o-ring from the volume adjuster to maximize air volume. Also remove 10cc of oil. This will make it very linear but it'll probably still be too firm in the first half of travel. At your weight the damping will be kind of firm too. Consider replacing half the stock 7.5wt oil with 5wt.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Those of you who have burped your legs, do you usually have some pressure built up? More in one leg than the other? I have a little pressure after 2 days of DHing, more in the left than right.

staike

Monkey
May 19, 2011
Norway
Remove the o-ring from the volume adjuster to maximize air volume. Also remove 10cc of oil. This will make it very linear but it'll probably still be too firm in the first half of travel. At your weight the damping will be kind of firm too. Consider replacing half the stock 7.5wt oil with 5wt.
Thanks! I'm getting the fork/bike at sunday, so I will look into it then. :)

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
there is a difference between the 888 and 40 that i've noticed, the rebound feels a bit different. It's hard to explain and it could just be that i'm used to the 40 after running it for 4 years, but it almost seems like the 888 isn't quite as 'smart'. The 40 had a more consistent feel for the rebound, almost like it adapted to the terrain and speed, the 888 doesn't quite feel like that.
the 40 has a shimmed rebound piston (separate high and low speed rebound) while the 888 doesn't (2012 models will), that must be the difference you feel.

edit: this shimmed rebound bit must be googled first, just read that this may not the case

Last edited:

staike

Monkey
May 19, 2011
Norway
How the f*** do I get off the lower spring guide thing? The plastic thing on the bottom of the spring. I suppose I need it for the new spring.

peterdaam

Chimp
Aug 8, 2002
Vancouver BC Canada
the 40 has a shimmed rebound piston (separate high and low speed rebound) while the 888 doesn't (2012 models will), that must be the difference you feel.
Someone earlier said to run my rebound a few clicks less and that did the trick!
I've gotten quite a bit more mileage on the fork and i have to say i'm liking it more and more. Very predictable and nice and smoooooth.

Just bought a 55 RC3 Ti for the all-mountain bike and it feels like a mini 888! Another amazing fork, Marz is up to something!

staike

Monkey
May 19, 2011
Norway
I got a bike with the fork two days ago and I'm very impressed by the fork.

I'm 61 kg / 135 lbs. I get right around 25% sag on the 888 EVO Ti with a Medium Ti spring! Without any LSC, VA, mech preload and with the stock oil weights and shimstack (and "normal" rebound speed) I can get 170 mm travel out of the fork from just pushing it down as hard as I can in the street. The last half of the stroke feels too progressive so I'm probably going to remove the VA chamber.

How do I remove the chamber/ make it useless?

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The last half of the stroke feels too progressive so I'm probably going to remove the VA chamber.

How do I remove the chamber/ make it useless?
And you got it two days ago and haven't ridden it yet? I'd give you rep, but I forget how.:p

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Ya, try the avy. Chasis are gonna be update for 2013 I believe. Should be interesting.
ive been really happy with Marz's cartridge so far, especially after the tune....plus i can get the new one at dealer cost and the Avy for a bit more.
i havent heard any rumblings about a new chassis.....what has changed? im assuming they shaved s'more weight on it.

Xetal

Chimp
May 30, 2011
I was under the impression that tbe V2 cartridge was a lot better. As usual Marzocchi is not good at giving out tech info's...

My current EVO cartridge is fine since i removed the VA piston (Defective from day 1,oil get passed it super easy)

I wonder how much the V2 cartridge will be alone ?

staike

Monkey
May 19, 2011
Norway
And you got it two days ago and haven't ridden it yet? I'd give you rep, but I forget how.:p
Yeah I've ridden it, but not on a "proper" trail. I got it close to midnight on sunday, I was outside riding our short local trails yesterday from I got home to I went to bed. Most of the trails are really short (ca. 30 sec) and not the hardest ones. I got full travel there with my old 66, but I haven't got full travel with the 888. It feels like the bike is slightly unbalanced, I have 33% sag on the rear (Trek Session) and the damping feels slightly uneven front/rear. I did manage to get full travel when I dropped 1,5 meter to flat (didn't feel it bottom, saw it on the oil marks on the stanchion), but I don't think that count.

I'm going to ride on some longer trails tomorow where I hopefully can test it properly, but it really feels like it's slightly oversprung for me. Either removing the VA chamber or adding some lighter weight oil. Or both.

Last edited: