2010 Schwalbe line up!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Pretty sick for sure....
Thur. Pq from line
Fri. Ted Williams
Sat. Sjt, intense trail (sam hill trail) and tld in corona
sun. Tld, skinsuit and intense trail

Great weekend ripped one carcass open on some jagged rocks and would have opened any tirewide as hard as I hit. Off to the Dr's when I get home I think the ankles fractured from a run today...

What a blast between the schwalbes and the avalanche suspension it was a rocking 4 days....
Mandown, cableguy, overthedge and a few others rode with us today what a complete blast.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
OK Im not on the Droid now so I can type a bit and fill in the gaps on the terrain ride and characteristics of the past week and Socal riding....

1st Ankle is fractured so dr. says 6 weeks I say no cast a ace bandage and 2 weeks Ill be rocking Socal again! :thumb:

The terrain is DRY, dusty some is hard pack almost like sandstone that brakes away as you ride over it more like sand paper than anything and most of it is completely covered in kitty litter or course grain (granite) like material that likes to roll around. Rocks are slick and dusty as well as covered by the pebbley stuff making them loose ontop of dusty, the chutes are blown out 6-8" of dust/dirt and SUPER steep chutes where braking at best directs you but you gain speed still with both brakes locked up... Turns are on this steep stuff so as much as you dont want to straighten out the bike you have to to hop and pitch it a different direction to get into the next slide or trail angle/direction....
Tons of 10-18" rain ruts barely big enough to accomodate both pedals so alternating and hopping becomes a regular occurance....
Lots of hard braking to control the corners and outcome of the ruts and chutes as well as the speeds and diving in and out of ruts, g-outs and corners that are HARD with kittly litter look like a berm but are actually a horizontal tranch 6-8" into the berm so the tire has to stay put or it bites both top and bottom of the channel while leaned high speed and you go down hard...

So this covers alot of what the 4 days where with trails going from 4k descents to 16 mile single track with exposed edges and missing trail on cliffs... Several STEEP chutes, jumps, sandy doubles and more fun... Now I have ridden snow, Ice, ladders, stunts in 10 degree weather as well as MUD water crossings and everything in between and still aside of deep mud the tire of choice is my MUDDY MARYS.....

The Muddy Marys have taken care of me at every turn and junction/trail I have rode I opted for Guey Glueys both front and rear and had GREAT success on them. I did chunk the rears pretty good but considering we opted for some of the nastiest terrrain the US has to offer and did 4 days of SOLID beating on it (basically 40 grit sand paper) I have no complaints I did gash a rear tire on a bad rock that popped up on a line I chose which would have taken any tire out....

They stayed glued to the ground I noticed no lug roll over in the hard pack and I was able to get it layed out for 2 wheel drifts feet on pedals for wide open cornering... They were controlled the whole time and when I had intresting line choices (as overthedge said) using ruts as berms and just railing into them full speed anywhere and everywhere they hooked up on the sides of the ruts allowing me to enter and exit them at will... This took some time to adjust to and allowed me the option to open up new lines by just trusting them and letting it all hang out to see where Id hit the wall of grip and go over it.

I did run 2.5 Single ply Muddy Marys guey gluey the whole time rocks and all... I do like the dampened feel of a guey gluey on the chatter it has better characteristics as far as chattering the bike. It stays more leveled and less walking, I will run a triple next time for extra wear and see what the rear grip is on it...

If you look past cableguy you can see the valley below thats where we end up... Severl thousand feet down..

Last edited:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Two days on the UFO $T at North Star and three blown flats. I ran 35psi front and rear with Maxxis Welter Weight tubes and single ply 2.35 versions of the Mary (front) and Will (rear). First the front blew, which I replaced with a thinner "standard" tube I had in my pack. After the rear went, I replaced it with a Giant DH tube from the shop on the mountain. The front blew again on the 2nd day, but the rear held up. All were pinch flats. I'm sure that slamming into the rock gardens of Karpiel with brutal lines and no flow didn't help things. I was hoping for fewer flats and running non-DH tubes, but it looks like fatter tubes or beefier sidewalls are in my future.

Edit - Almost forgot to say that the GGC front and rear made for plenty of traction, even at the high PSI I was running. No complaints in that department. I even experienced my biggest "controled" 2-wheel drift to date; it wasn't one for the record books, but by my standards it was pretty good.

Last edited:

bohorec

Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Avoid single play 2,5 version, you can ride 2-ply with considerably lower pressure.

If you are buying schwalbe DH is the way to go.

bohorec

Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
I had/have all possible versions of MM (except performance line).

I'll never buy single ply tire again (except for XC).

2,35 DH is the sh1t, 2,5 will slow you down, 2,5 single play without tubeless is no go.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
OK a bit longer than you anticipated Adam LOL...

I'm running 2.5 singles now and the only issue Ive had was I put a rock straight through the tread and I pick intresting lines not smooth...

Id rock DH at Tunnel or bootleg aside of that the 2.5 SP tubeless has been more than capable...

If your not going tubeless Adam then on nasty stuff you might want to run DH casings in any tire choice. TUbeless has no snakebites and you can always carry a tube if it gashes out like mine in which case youd be swapping tubes anywase and you would have alot less problems tubeless...

Just my .02

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
2,35 DH is the sh1t, 2,5 will slow you down, 2,5 single play without tubeless is no go.
X2 :thumb:

The performance line is top notch and the snakeskin which is not on the lower line allows the sidewalls less protection. They have the snakeskin pattern from the mold but NO snakeskin mesh...

I agree your logic though:
Non tubeless then 2.35 for most with 2.5 front for the NASTY places and 2.5 if you go tubeless.....

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
OK slapped a Big Betty (FR 2.4 triple compound) rear on the bike to see how it handles the dry dusty stuff up, down and freeride and speed and so far great. Took it and rode the reserve trail, I had 33psi in it from a rode ride the other day with the kids on the green belt so I left it where it was at.

First the trail isnt too long has 1/2 climb thats on sand, loose over hard and total high desert blown out crap. I did let the PSI out to 28 in the rear as the harder compound was breaking free climbing sttep stuff as I was leaning over it and it was 33 psi... After letting pressure out it handled perfect and climbed perfect.
There is a weird road noise when it the parking lot especially when cornering as the lugs are acting like saws and edge biting then full bite. Its kind of a funky bawrrrrrrr noise but it means they are hooking up and they do the same thing in the dirt minus the noise they hook up.

Descents they performed without a hitch there was less rolling resistance than the Muddy marys and they snapped corners a bit better in the rear on really hard stuff but the loose sandy and blah stuff the Marys felt a little better. They brake really well as well as have a good solid feel on the ground. They have less spike bounce than a mary so they are a bit smoother, the triple compound sacrafices a little grip but gains ALOT of life over the guey glueys.
I can see these as a good whistler tire, or NW they would make a smokin hot race tire in the GG compound for say fontanna or other rocky dry chutes with lots of odd hard obstacles and where pedalling is a neccesity...

In hard berms or a bit of loose over hard they seem to really bite and pin in solid and concise and give a good planted feel.

Ill have some bike park pics and nasty trail pics along with a review after Saturdays ride... Josh is riding hte exact same combo as well and wont be swapping out anytime soon so Ill get some pics of him as well...
Manualing the S-curve at speed

Last edited:

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
I keep reading how Muddy mary rolls slow, and when I first put them on I thought they would and they did feel perhaps a bit slower than the Minions they replaced.
My local track has a downhill, then uphill, fireroad roll in that leads to the start of the track proper. Now I've noticed that when I follow mates I am rolling faster than them, so I started to roll the section with no pedalling and just keep track of how far up the other side I can get before I come to a stop. I am now completely satisfied that Muddy mary rolls at least as well if not better than Minion dhf, dhr and high roller. Same bike, same wheels, same track, same weekend. Whatever is going on with those tyres - I dont think slow rolling is ever going to be a problem.
Now before the science heads bash me - I was only trying to answer my own questions about these tyres, not provide "proof". I am satisfied that there is no disadvantage to MM on tracks that need good rolling, just thought I would share my thoughts.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
No I agree I overshot all the jumps at the park when I went to muddy Marys over dhfs from the day before. Yeah they roll fast my comparison is within the schwalbe lineup they are faster then the muddy Marys which are faster than any dhf, dhr, high Roller etc that I've ridden and a hell of a lot faster than The Kendas.

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
Yeah they roll fast my comparison is within the schwalbe lineup
Understand that Bullcrew, your comments just reminded me of how slow MM "looks", just not in reality. And I got a giggle out of your Big Betty noise! I ride a track littered with off camber corners and my riding buddies reckon they can hear me cornering behind them as the MM's roar and rip chunks out of the ground!
The only time I feel these tyres are a disadvantage is really greasy clay over hard pack, and even then I'm not sure because every tyre is so poor in these conditions. We get a lot of those conditions with hard baked clay and a little shower just wetting the top, maybe I'll have to try big betty...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Bully. Thoughts on a 2.35 Tripple Muddy Mary DH on the rear with a 2.5 GGC Muddy Mary Single Ply front?
Oddly enough that actually would work... Its the rear tire I always take out so the DH in the rear and single ply 2.5 GG on front would be pretty characteristic of one another...
The DH is a denser material therefore isnt as chattery feeling as a freeride single triple, and a 2.5 Single ply isnt as chattery as a 2.35 single mixxed with the GG compound it actually would react real similair to each other....

I actually could see that being a working combination, the 2.5 single is thicker than the 2.35 as far as sidwewalls too so that would help in the snakebite area...

Not a bad idea Adam......

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Nice thanks Travis. My 951s and WTB's are too new for replacements..
Hey Mike Im headed back down wed so Ill be in for the weekend and evenings...
Im coming back to Boise on the 20th picking up the wife and kids and we are looking at houses in SD from the 23 - 30th So 4k miles in 2 weeks in open road LOL Im wanting to RIDE ALOT.... OK ALOT MORE than normal.....

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Oddly enough that actually would work... Its the rear tire I always take out so the DH in the rear and single ply 2.5 GG on front would be pretty characteristic of one another...
The DH is a denser material therefore isnt as chattery feeling as a freeride single triple, and a 2.5 Single ply isnt as chattery as a 2.35 single mixxed with the GG compound it actually would react real similair to each other....

I actually could see that being a working combination, the 2.5 single is thicker than the 2.35 as far as sidwewalls too so that would help in the snakebite area...

Not a bad idea Adam......
Then that will be my next set on the DH bike, since the single 2.35 GGC mary front and Will rear had so many flats. Now I just gotta find a place to order them from :thumb:

cableguy

Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
Southern California
Last edited:

bohorec

Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Bullcrew I'm tempted with dirty dan front, (BuckoW mentioned something about running that tyre whole year in champery), did you test it in dry?

Then that will be my next set on the DH bike, since the single 2.35 GGC mary front and Will rear had so many flats. Now I just gotta find a place to order them from :thumb:

The combination you are about to order: one day, maribor bike park: snake bite front, rear was fine. Had to run maximum pressure front later to avoid flats and strange feeling from week sidewalls. I was riding a hardtail with 180 travel front on that day (way more fun than a fs rig ha!).

Don't blame bullcrew later, you were warned :)

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Bullcrew I'm tempted with dirty dan front, (BuckoW mentioned something about running that tyre whole year in champery), did you test it in dry?

:)
I havent had it on dry hard pack 90 degree + bone dust yet, I have had it on ICE frozen ground, snow, loose over hard , wet, MUD etc and With a GG it would be OK on dry dusty stuff as that compound hooks up regardless the tall spikes will suffer a smidge but being a corner doesnt take the full weight of a rider it wont fold like a rear would so it in theory should stick a dry flater corner...

I will ride a DD GG in front now LOL I want to see... I am a HUGE fan of the Muddy mary so I will literally push it to see if it compares and how well in that enviornment compared to the MM...

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
bah, poppycock. i didn't mind running the single ply MM at 35-40 psi at northstar. i think the GGC is soft enough and the tread is grippy enough that I don't feel the need to run low pressure. when i go to maribor on a hard tail i'll consider a change.

bohorec

Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
I havent had it on dry hard pack 90 degree + bone dust yet, I have had it on ICE frozen ground, snow, loose over hard , wet, MUD etc and With a GG it would be OK on dry dusty stuff as that compound hooks up regardless the tall spikes will suffer a smidge but being a corner doesnt take the full weight of a rider it wont fold like a rear would so it in theory should stick a dry flater corner...

I will ride a DD GG in front now LOL I want to see... I am a HUGE fan of the Muddy mary so I will literally push it to see if it compares and how well in that enviornment compared to the MM...
Cool waiting for your report then :thumb:

bohorec

Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
bah, poppycock. i didn't mind running the single ply MM at 35-40 psi at northstar. i think the GGC is soft enough and the tread is grippy enough that I don't feel the need to run low pressure. when i go to maribor on a hard tail i'll consider a change.
Whatever floats your boat cupcake.

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Cool waiting for your report then :thumb:
No worries Im ridin the BB (triple) rear and MM (GG) front tomorrow and then Ill slap the Dirty dan on front and ??? a rear till after this weekend to accomodate it.. Im curious as well so WTH might as well rip it and see what happens... :D
I cant really see cutting spikes then it plays into the same realm as the Muddy Mary ill have to look at tread profile and see, Cant really cut a spike down aside of tread height adn modifying them theres not alot to chop out...

It is a nasty looking tire though and the thought of a rider coming up on you fast and that thing "WHRRRRRRING" behind you is enough to motivate..:eek:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I had my first real DH day on the MM yesterday at Fernie Resort. I ran them tubeless and at 30/35 psi. I could have ran them a lot lower, but this was my first time trying out tubeless and I didnt want any problems. The conditions changed from dusty dry to mud to tacky all in the same day. I got to ride in all conditions. I must say the MM is great at everything. It rolls fast and hooks up great. My only complaint is I have a few knobs that were ripped off on the rear MM triple nano. We did do about 20 miles of hard DH with tons of jagged rocks, but my Minions would have held up better. I still think the Minions corner better in the loose stuff. All in all Im happy with the MM.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Stop slamming brakes and you wont rip lugs...LOl. also makes for bad cornering.... :D
Haven't found that to be the case considering I ran minions exclusively for a long time... the muddy Marys have Ben a lot faster in the berms and the bike.perk which is a lot of hard and tight stuff berms etc and I overshot everything a lot first time on them. The 2 bigger jumps are innto a berm so you better stick it and it exits to a 21 Footer then to a right hand landing from a 24'... if it fails to bite I eat crap.
I do prefer a they gluey rear and that makes a BIG difference in handling.

Last edited:

redride

Monkey
Sep 23, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
had the FR MM GG on for a wet race up in the volcanic mountains of BALI. Damn! the grip is truly amazing!

check one up for wet super slippery wet volcanic dirt!

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
what tubes are you running with schwalbe tires? single ply 2,5 in front sounds like good idea.. how foldable hold up in ust and non ust versions?