Quantcast

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
are people with rear hub issues dremeling the frame? my hadley won't fit :( ARghhhhh.
Yes, 3 of my friends already have done it. Hadley is pretty bad im told, i didnt have to do that much for an industry 9 wheel. From what im told (not officially) any wheel that isnt a DT swiss, or similar will NOT fit. You have to drill the frame

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
are people with rear hub issues dremeling the frame? my hadley won't fit :( ARghhhhh.
That is what Specialized recommended I do.

I am using Sun Ringle hubs so I filed down the outer sleeve on the hub (which is replaceable) rather than grind down my brand new hub.

It appears the frame is designed around a hub with a 20mm outer diameter on the hub.

Once I get a replacement end cap from Sun Ringle I'll have it machined down so it looks nicer and fits better than the file jobed one.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
I just checked the Hope Pro 2's I'll be using. They're a 20mm outer axle diameter.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
Yes, 3 of my friends already have done it. Hadley is pretty bad im told, i didnt have to do that much for an industry 9 wheel. From what im told (not officially) any wheel that isnt a DT swiss, or similar will NOT fit. You have to drill the frame

say what????? can anyone please post a pic of this?

i planned getting a second wheelset, now i'm forced to buy DT swiss hubs????

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
My 2011 Demo 8

Size Large
Manitou Dorado
Saint Brakes, Cranks, Shifter, Rear Derailleur
Renthal 36T Chainring
Sun Ringle Jumping Fleas on Mavic EX823s (rear hub is filed for frame clearance)
Easton Havoc Direct Mount Stem
Race Face (R.I.P.) Atlas FR bars in purple
Answer Rove Pedals
Selle Italia SLR saddle
Syntace post
Continental Der Kaiser tires tubeless

Weighs 39.3 pounds as pictured.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Not entirely true. Hopes work just fine.

I had to take the endcaps on my no tubes ZTR hubs down on the late to make them fit. I'd suggest milling your endcaps down before machining the frame??

ustemuf

Monkey
Apr 8, 2010
Bay Area
i ended up just scraping the paint off the inside of the frame, but i dremeled the hub end cap instead of messing with the frame. there is a weld right next to the spot so i didnt wanna screw that up.

i dremeled probably 2mm off the diameter of the hub end cap in order for it to fit. i used one of the drill-type looking bits and just held it on the end cap and let it spin with the dremel while it shaved it off.

for reference - i used a penny and put it on top of the hub end cap (hadley) and sharpie marked around the edge and it ended up being just about the perfect size for the axle to go in smoothly and for everything to line up.

but BOY was it worth it.. this bike f'n RIPS!!!!!

(if you want you can remove the x off image url's for hi-res)

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Transcend, i dremoled the frame, because for me, i have other wheels i can run, so rather than grind every set of wheels that may end up on it, i grinded the frame, which wasnt all that much. Rumor has it a new link will be released in late summer, that will address these issues.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
My 2011 Demo 8

Size Large
Manitou Dorado
Saint Brakes, Cranks, Shifter, Rear Derailleur
Renthal 36T Chainring
Sun Ringle Jumping Fleas on Mavic EX823s (rear hub is filed for frame clearance)
Easton Havoc Direct Mount Stem
Race Face (R.I.P.) Atlas FR bars in purple
Answer Rove Pedals
Selle Italia SLR saddle
Syntace post
Continental Der Kaiser tires tubeless

Weighs 39.3 pounds as pictured.

fantastic looking bike! like it a lot! especially that you tore off the stickers off the fork! good job!

Last edited:

bismojo

Monkey
May 5, 2009

Few note :
- hope hubs OK
- deemax / deemax ultimate OK
- manitou dorado OK - but clearance of lower crown is tight when the rubber bumpers compress

Cheers :)

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
fantastic looking bike! like it a lot! especially that you tore off the stickers off the fork! good job!
Thanks for the kind words!

Tearing off the fork stickers was a tough decision. They are super thick paded decals that offer protection to the uppers. I really wish they match the frame better. I replaced them with thick moto tape which doesn't look all that great since there are air bubbles underneath. Getting all of them out such a large area was nearly impossible.

Don't worry the purple bars will be gone once my Renthals show up.

Last edited:

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006

Few note :
- hope hubs OK
- deemax / deemax ultimate OK
- manitou dorado OK - but clearance of lower crown is tight when the rubber bumpers compress

Cheers :)
added notes:
- BOS idylle won't fit, had to turn me a spacer on the lathe to get the clearence needed between the lower crown and the frame. the lower crown hit the frame at the weld behind the headtube, had to install a 5mm spacer to clear. would have got away with 2-3mm most probably, but i made a 5mm spacer just to be sure. nevertheless you have to be carefull that your bumper are at the right place, i sprayed them with hairspray, which fixates them enough so that they don't slip.

Last edited:

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
I am running it with HSC half way, LSC between 5-10 clicks from full open and the rebound somewhere in the middle. Boost pressure 150 psi with the bottom out all the way out, i am around 190 geared up on a 400 spring. Feels pretty good at the moment although a softer spring would propably be better for me.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
I will put my vivid air on for next weekend and its a b tune. The demos rate falls almost right between an a and b tune so depending on the rider either could work.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
So springrates and shock setups anyone?

Just going to stick with the Van RC on the Demo I. I really doubt that with how suspension works these days that it will hold me back so long as I can get the rebound where I want it and the LSC dialed in.

I've got the stock 450lb spring on the bike and the refined wheel rate from my 09 Demo is pretty obvious. I should be around 185lbs (195 at the moment) once the riding season begins and as far as style I race Cat 1 and I'm a straight shooter vs. lighter rider. I've really got to get the bike on a trail but initial impressions are that I could probably go with the 450 or a 400lb rate spring. The wheel rate of my previous Demo made it significantly more difficult to find the ideal spring rate.

Any people have any actual ride time and impressions on shock setup?

numerik

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
10 runs on Van R on my new Demo. I'm about 185 pounds, +1 or +2 clics of compression. Bike seems plusher, carves/turns even better and I noticed very quickly it's lower up front compared to previous '10 model.
Can't justify RC4. I think/guess Van R is good enough for 95% riders, and so far I find it better than last years DHX.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Well, I like it rough and weigh around 180, mesure 180 on an M size.
What do I need??
Since you are fairly light it will depend on if you like a heavier damping and a more dead feeling in the suspension (in my experience that kind of setup works best for a clipped in rider or if you are way better than average). You could always revalve it if you dont like it.

san_andreas

Chimp
Dec 16, 2010
Did anyone encounter problems when mounting a chainguide on the new Demo ? Are there recommendations for a certain chainguide ?

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
On Lg1 type of guides the upper guide can hit the swingarm if it isnt rotated enough forward. I filed down on the inside around the lower bolt that runs under the chain.

san_andreas

Chimp
Dec 16, 2010
Many thanks for the help.

My bigger problem about the Demo 2011 is the sizing. I am 1,86m or 6'1" tall and I am not sure about going for the medium or the large frame.
I tried the medium Demo 8I and felt it could be a tad bigger. But when reading the frame data and comparing it to other frames I realized the Demo in size L has one of the longest reaches of any DH frames (longer reach than M9, V10C, etc.).

So what to do ? Go for the L frame with a shorter stem ?
Are there any L frame riders here, who had the same problem ?

Last edited:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Many thanks for the help.

My bigger problem about the Demo 2011 is the sizing. I am 1,86m or 6'1" tall and I am not sure about going for the medium or the large frame.
I tried the medium Demo 8I and felt it could be a tad bigger. But when reading the frame data and comparing it to other frames I realized the Demo in size L has one of the longest reaches of any DH frames (longer reach than M9, V10C, etc.).

So what to do ? Go for the L frame with a shorter stem ?
Are there any L frame riders here, who had the same problem ?
I have a few teammates around your size and they all opted for the medium. I have a large which fits me fine, however after hopping on the medium, I'm sure I could have ridden that comfortably since the Demo's fit larger than most comparable frames

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I rode both, here is my conclusion(im 5.10-5.11) While the bike will feel good on flat ground, for whatever reason, when you get it on the trail, you will REALLY feel that long TT. My advice is to get a medium, because you ride a downhill bike down, not flat. Hope that helps

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
I am 183cm and i think i would have liked a large with a tad shorter stem (running a 50mm) more than my medium but i am stoked still super stoked on my medium. The large isnt all that much longer in the reach. It is quite easy nowdays to tweak cockpit feel but try to compare the different wheelbases of the sizes with your current bike and think about what kind of feel you want out of the new bike compared to your old.