Quantcast

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
I just went to my shop to see my 2011 demo I that had arrived. I thought the bike was going to be Black/red and it is Gold/black. The bike looks sick but what's the deal with the gold?
That colour is badass. I'd be happy.

ustemuf

Monkey
Apr 8, 2010
Bay Area
word on the street (dealer) is that the first batch of black ano demo frames arrived at specialized in morgan hill last friday. they are supposed to do an allocation count monday/tuesday to figure out how many are good to go and ready to be distributed. this is what they are telling me after i went in to get my downpayment back since i found a red/white one in stock elsewhere.

im gonna call lbs back tuesday and find out if i'm one of the lucky ones.

i contacted specialized earlier about it being "limited edition" and here is the response i received:

Kurt,
It is not considered a limited edition. It was late production which means there will not be nearly as many produced. It is also a highly desirable frame.
The fact that it was a late production and in high demand, can cause it to be a bit difficult to obtain.
Keep working with your dealer to find out about the availability.
Thanks
Cody Nelson
Consumer Representative
"It is not considered a limited edition."

"...there will not be nearly as many produced."

....:confused: ok.

I found someone on pinkbike that has a black frame.. he is from Taiwan. He said he is 30 minutes from the Specialized factory, and that his friends work there (and on this frame) and said only about 50 were made in the first batch. I kinda believe him - since he has one and he lives in Taiwan.

holding my breath....

Last edited:

BOOMSLANG

Chimp
Apr 6, 2009
Morgan Hill
I found someone on pinkbike that has a black frame.. he is from Taiwan. He said he is 30 minutes from the Specialized factory, and that his friends work there (and on this frame) and said only about 50 were made in the first batch. I kinda believe him - since he has one and he lives in Taiwan.

holding my breath....
I would not put too much stock in someone who lives near the factory.

I live 30 mintues from Apple and I couldn't tell you anything about how many iPads are shipping.

JC

bismojo

Monkey
May 5, 2009
also, whats that fender? me like! :thumb:
Yeah im curious about the fender too. Did you buy or make it?

@foxrocks @huntandride
Thanks. Home made fender that's been used on my demos since 2006.. for 2011 one I modified it a bit (two part) but basically still very simple. I hope the photo is clear enough.

Now, Mr Boomslang, can I apply for product designer in SBC ? :D

brian field

Monkey
Feb 5, 2007
@ boomslang, there are many broken bumpers for fox 40, that i have seen,, are you doing something about that, maybe new ones? and when they are gonna be available?

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj

@foxrocks @huntandride
Thanks. Home made fender that's been used on my demos since 2006.. for 2011 one I modified it a bit (two part) but basically still very simple. I hope the photo is clear enough.

haha, i like it! i think i may just buy a fender and modify it to fit, thanks :)

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
has anyone used the hive cranks on their demo? mine are here, but m buddy said that the cups dont fit in the bb30 cups, he said it had to be cut. i told him i read in the thread that it needs two spacers drive side 1 non, he insisted one drive side, zero non. anything ?

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
has anyone used the hive cranks on their demo? mine are here, but m buddy said that the cups dont fit in the bb30 cups, he said it had to be cut. i told him i read in the thread that it needs two spacers drive side 1 non, he insisted one drive side, zero non. anything ?
Hmmm, I don't quite remember w/ the press in threaded cup adapter things how the spacers work. The threaded BB30 cups are quite deep for the e*13 DH cranks, I could see them not threading in far enough in the plastic cups.

2 options:
-Call up e*13/Hive and see if they have the "real" PFBB30 cups ready for sale yet. They should. Ditch all the plastic cup adapter crap and run a metal press in BB cup.
-Call up the e*13/hive and get some of the XC style BB30 cups. They just don't thread in as deep as the DH ones, but they will work just fine.

You may have to experiment to get the spacers correct.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj

figured it out, cut up the cups with a band saw. also, it HAS to be cut, the spindle is to big (thats what she said).

dh-noob

Chimp
Sep 17, 2007
Germany
i live in germany and i ordered a demo8I size small a long time ago. the dealer always says, that it will take longer and longer ... i hope the bike will arrive soon. the weather is sooo nice and i have to pleasure my bike-needs...
the bad news yesterday. my dealer told me, that the demo 8 I, size small, are sold out all over the world and i have to wait another 2 months.. this was the point, when i canceled my order and bought a lapierre 720

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Knapps Cycles has 2 medium green demo 8s in stock. (trenton NJ area)

As for the mompaidforfastershipping tag, didnt help get mine here quickly :(

BOOMSLANG

Chimp
Apr 6, 2009
Morgan Hill

@foxrocks @huntandride

Yes, you may now apply. And I'll even read your application :)

However, we hate zip ties here, so you'll need to take it to the next level.

Seriously, that is pretty nice.

Boomslang

Skip

Chimp
Jun 22, 2009
Anyone got a delivery date for the next consignment to Vancouver? It seems like it's been "next week" for two months now....

Skip

Chimp
Jun 22, 2009
Jason/Boomslang:

are the black frames lighter than the yellow/black? I remember noticing some rims are 40g heavier with paint so stands to reason the ano finish will be lighter non? I'm sure you have better things to do than weigh production frames but.... have you? I'm trying to decide between colours and there's not much in it.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Jason/Boomslang:

are the black frames lighter than the yellow/black? I remember noticing some rims are 40g heavier with paint so stands to reason the ano finish will be lighter non? I'm sure you have better things to do than weigh production frames but.... have you? I'm trying to decide between colours and there's not much in it.
those are the 20 grams that are keeping you off the WC circut

BOOMSLANG

Chimp
Apr 6, 2009
Morgan Hill
Jason/Boomslang:

No paint is lighter than paint. No way around that, just physics.

An anodized frame can be as much as 150 grams lighter than a painted version.

But everyone knows red or white is faster.

Jason C