Quantcast

doc gravity

Monkey
Oct 25, 2004
highlands ranch, CO
"
Butch, do you plan on staging some sort of sit-in demonstration to protest the possible building of any big jumps? :)

mt[/QUOTE]
Naah, he can only do that if he doesn't show up to ride the course;)

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Yah, I held a USAC license in 2010 although I was unable to get out to the great state of CO for the Nats. I am sure it was the best thing associated with the USAC in years. I am trying not to be negative about it since we are hosting the Champs. I could go on about how the date sucks and will kill attendance like they did when Sugar had the Nats a few years ago, but what's the use? I am old and just try to have fun and not worry too much about the future of our sport when it feels like wasted energy at this point!
I hope that there is a good turnout and that the champs will be meaningful to everyone no matter where they are held. As for the effort, I just want to see as much effort put in as possible from the race promoters, because I know what type of effort that the riders put in to get to far away locations etc.
It should always feel like the best tracks you have raced on for the year IMO!
There is some possibility that I may be involved in the 4x design, and if so It will be sick and very far from BMX.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Butch, do you plan on staging some sort of sit-in demonstration to protest the possible building of any big jumps? :)
doc gravy nuts said:
Naah, he can only do that if he doesn't show up to ride the course;)
Matt, I'll just make sure to get up there ASAP and mark off everything they build with a quality tape measure for you guys. I'm sure people on the West Coast will only make travel plans once they know the exact measurements lip to lip.;)

Last edited:

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
And thats what is wrong with the rest of yall.......................Suuuuuuuuuuuuuu wheeeeeeeeee:thumb:
When some one sees a flag from the civil war for the side that supported slavery...and then they think of slavery...yeah gonna go with chillindrdude on this one.

There's nothing wrong with being proud of where your from, but bringing up that symbol would not be my first choice to show people.

How about toothless guys playing the banjo wearing only overalls drinking whiskey?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
When some one sees a flag from the civil war for the side that supported slavery...and then they think of slavery...yeah gonna go with chillindrdude on this one.

There's nothing wrong with being proud of where your from, but bringing up that symbol would not be my first choice to show people.

How about toothless guys playing the banjo wearing only overalls drinking whiskey?
The point, you guys missed it. I am not saying to bring back slavery, but agree or disagree, i think the SOUTH'S flag is a decent representation of the SOUTH. A toothless hillbilly could be north too, even canadian! I only meant that SE downhill racing is making a comeback :thumb:

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
A toothless hillbilly could be north too, even canadian!
Up here they're called rednecks and we don't play banjos. I think in Canada they're all lumberjacks or something.

And I understand that is a symbol of southern pride, not slavery. I just think you guys should have thought about the symbol a bit more before going with that one.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Up here they're called rednecks and we don't play banjos. I think in Canada they're all lumberjacks or something.

And I understand that is a symbol of southern pride, not slavery. I just think you guys should have thought about the symbol a bit more before going with that one.
While I would agree that in terms of decorum, it doesn't mate well with certain household furnishings, a flag only has power if you let it.:thumb:

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
That flag is not about slavery. Its about small government, states rights, standing up for a way of life, and never believing in defeat (Doesn't matter if you lost).
Max, being an upstate NY redneck kid does not entitle you to use the Confederate flag in any shape or form! :rofl: Remember, we wore the BLUE suits!

That flag is not about slavery. Its about small government, states rights, standing up for a way of life, and never believing in defeat (Doesn't matter if you lost).
did you not read basic history books? (or if you think they're yankee biased) look at decrees, declarations, and announcements recorded by southern state governments themselves?

it wasn't about "small government"...

it WAS about states rights...TO OWN SLAVES!
it WAS standing up for way of life...TO OWN AND USE SLAVES!

and unfortunately, it's fabricators like you that perpetuate this notion of secession was about "never believing in defeat" or some "honorable" lifestyle. It was about the right to OWN SLAVES...pure and simple.

DEAL WITH IT.

i'm sorry that i derailled the thread, i guess i feel strongly about this issue.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-december-9-2010/the-south-s-secession-commemoration

Last edited:

ssimons1

Chimp
Jan 4, 2011
Lugoff, SC
I am brand new to the DH scene and am very excited about getting my two teenage boys into it. Matter of fact we are new to Mountain bikes altogether. The only DH I have seen is what was posted on this thread. I live in Columbia, SC and hope to catch a race soon. I am for sure going to make my way up to NC to see this race.
Is it possible to compete in this event as an amateur?

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
I am brand new to the DH scene and am very excited about getting my two teenage boys into it. Matter of fact we are new to Mountain bikes altogether. The only DH I have seen is what was posted on this thread. I live in Columbia, SC and hope to catch a race soon. I am for sure going to make my way up to NC to see this race.
you can definitely race this! all the USAC categories can enter from cat 3 (beginner) all the way up to pro and all ages in between.

however this is an event you have to qualify for. The qualification is not very tough, i think (correct me if i am wrong) all you have to do is place top 8 at a USAC sanctioned race.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
you can definitely race this! all the USAC categories can enter from cat 3 (beginner) all the way up to pro and all ages in between.

however this is an event you have to qualify for. The qualification is not very tough, i think (correct me if i am wrong) all you have to do is place top 8 at a USAC sanctioned race.
Yes, I believe you are correct on this! You have to qualify, but it's pretty easy to do so.

kite

Chimp
Jul 11, 2010
The South

It's actually Top 10 at a qualifying race or Top 15 if it's a state championship. :)

kite

Chimp
Jul 11, 2010
The South
There are amateur classes for beginners, intermediates, and experts in addition to the pro class at nationals.

Last year Beech had a 3 race series; and I would expect that it would happen again this year before nationals and I would venture to guess that one of those races would probably be a qualifying race!

I'm also new to the whole DH scene (only been riding a year) and I did my first "real" races at the Beech series last year and had a blast. It's a great mountain to learn on, and like I said, if they have a series for this coming summer, I would most likely recommend coming to them and getting the feel for it. :D Especially if you're thinking about wanting to do nationals!!

ssimons1

Chimp
Jan 4, 2011
Lugoff, SC
We definitely want to race in the series. It would be bonus to race in a National. We currently race BMX and both boys are previous National Champs. They both saw this DH racing and were instantly captivated. I think Barry Nobles turned them on to it.
When do you think a schedule will be out for 2011?
Also, since we are brand new at this sport. What bikes would you stay away from and what would you recommend? it seems these DH bikes are pretty pricey. even for brands I would stay away from in BMX.
thanks.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
We definitely want to race in the series. It would be bonus to race in a National. We currently race BMX and both boys are previous National Champs. They both saw this DH racing and were instantly captivated. I think Barry Nobles turned them on to it.
Also, since we are brand new at this sport. What bikes would you stay away from and what would you recommend? it seems these DH bikes are pretty pricey. even for brands I would stay away from in BMX.
thanks.
How old and tall are your boys? That would be the first start at finding them the right bike to race on. A good new DH bike with no Pro Deal will cost between $2600 to $6500. This has to do with brand and parts build. Are they sponsored now for BMX? What brands? Some of those brand could help them get started. If they are new and can't get sponsorship I would go for a good used bike. Check out the ads on RM, Pinkbike, and Ebay. There is always some good deals out there.

PS: I have raced BMX at your local track a few times in 99 through 2002 when I got back into racing BMX. Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't it have a big pond next to it? If so its a super fun track.

Cecil

Last edited:

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
OK, I guess I should provide some constructive comments...

The big brands actually make some very good DH bikes. They are well respected at the track. Specialized, Trek, and Giant are great places to start and will delivery pretty good value for money (if that's possible in this sport).

I would personally stay away from Mongoose, but some people like them.

The Yeti 303 RDH is a good starter bike as well, and good value as a frame only at $1600 from go-ride.com You will spend a lot to build it up though.

On the higher end, good frames right now are the Banshee Legend, Intense M9, Transition TR450, and the list goes on, but you probably want to stick with a complete bike package from one of the big brands to start.

I would probably recommend the Trek Session 88. It's only weakness is slightly thin tubing, and if you live in a location with lots of rocks, and you're going to be crashing, then it might not survive as long as some. Overall fantastic bike though.

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
It's actually Top 10 at a qualifying race or Top 15 if it's a state championship. :)
Massanutten is great place to qualify for the Nationals since the race is at the start of the season and course/venue is fun. If you don't qualify you have the opportunity to schedule in the other qualifying races before the USAC deadline.

J

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
thanks.
Chris Herndon took GROM Racing to National Championships last year and brought them home with two national champions, 1 in DH. They used Specialized Big Hits with Boxxers on the front. Really inexpensive and a proven design. Even Chris ran one all last year. Just buy a stock one and find a used Boxxer. That's all you need to do and the kid will not break it.

I remembered it b/c I spotted one of his riders race bikes from last year on Pinkbike yesterday. If anyone has a kid they want to put on a kitted out bike...check this thing out. Built to the hilt:
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/766567/

willyj

Chimp
Jun 2, 2008
HIGH COUNTRY
like it or not that's what y'all are remembered for.
And the north will be remembered for rude idiots and the lack of sweet tea and grits.Yes the south had slavery,everyone knows this.Your not uncovering some huge Hollywood scandal , but i guarantee that if you come down here with that attitude towards us(The ignorant south) it will not be a fun race for yall.We are proud of what we have done right and know what we have done wrong.If you feel so strongly against the confederate flag then so be it, but what about those that feel the same way about the American Flag.What about the thousands or millions that are imprisoned due to a corrupt judicial system?This country was built on corruption and looks like it will continue to exist that way.Im just saying your digging a whole that doesn't need to be dug. ;)

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I am interested in subscribing to your news letter. Tell us more.

And the north will be remembered for rude idiots and the lack of sweet tea and grits.Yes the south had slavery,everyone knows this.Your not uncovering some huge Hollywood scandal , but i guarantee that if you come down here with that attitude towards us(The ignorant south) it will not be a fun race for yall.We are proud of what we have done right and know what we have done wrong.If you feel so strongly against the confederate flag then so be it, but what about those that feel the same way about the American Flag.What about the thousands or millions that are imprisoned due to a corrupt judicial system?This country was built on corruption and looks like it will continue to exist that way.Im just saying your digging a whole that doesn't need to be dug. ;)

ssimons1

Chimp
Jan 4, 2011
Lugoff, SC
Yes our track is the one with the pond! I am actually the track operator now. It has changed a lot. It is a down hill track now. Nothing like what you all are riding but it is very fast and fun for our riders.
Ok the size of my riders. Dalton is 16 and is 6'2" And Cole is 14 and he is 5'10".
We are talking about going to Greenville and riding on the down hill trails there to get the feel of what it is all about. Dalton was a Factory Felt Rider for years but decided to walk away and go with Redline Co sponsorship after he had sat out of racing for a year due to shoulder injury and surgery. Cole is a Factory Evolution rider but they do not have anything in the Mountain bike world. So, I will probably have to go with buying stuff on my own. I am a little sticker shocked right now though. LOL
Its only money! ha!

kite

Chimp
Jul 11, 2010
The South
Massanutten is great place to qualify for the Nationals since the race is at the start of the season and course/venue is fun. If you don't qualify you have the opportunity to schedule in the other qualifying races before the USAC deadline.

J
Agreed. But Massanutten is no place for someone to do a first race with never doing DH before. And I have heard through the grapevine/saw on here somewhere that they are considering dropping USAC for 2011.