Quantcast

2016 speculation thread

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I watched HRC's acceptance speech in full last night via the YouTubes. I like her message in general and she's not a bad speaker (as opposed to the super awkward Kaine).

What I don't like is the implicit promise to keep on bombing brown people, the full-throated support for AIPAC, and that she's now all "we can't let the banks bankrupt Main St again!" after accepting all that bribe speaking fee lucre over the years from Wall St.

Still better than Trump by a mile but far from ideal.
I was concerned that Kaine's policy of wanting to deregulate banks might keep Bernie supporters away, but I have seen little mention of it since being picked for VP.

I too watched Her speech and feel a little bit better about voting for her. Still don't fully trust Clinton, but the thought of Trump as president scares me on so many levels, far more than I have been in any previous election.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It's rigged!!!

“It started with me in Louisiana when I won Louisiana and I got fewer delegates than Ted Cruz,” Trump said. “I said, ‘Whoa! Whoa! What happens here?’ And then I polled well in Colorado. And instead of voting, the bosses picked it. I said, ‘What’s going on here?’

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Unfortunately there is little to be done to influence Trump's supporters even when presented with overwhelming evidence that contradicts his "policies".

Latest polls show Clinton at 45% and Trump at 40%. That is still a disturbing percentage to me as there is obviously a large unflinching segment of the population that swallows Trump's fear and hate dogma.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Also he may have married an illegal immigrant:

Ostensibly, the reason that Melania Trump’s immigration status 20 years ago is coming under such scrutiny today is that could be a political liability for her husband. He says illegal immigrants should all be deported — but his own wife perhaps once worked illegally in the United States.

Yet Trump’s supporters tend to care less about an immigrant’s legal status than about whether she in with US culture and values. If they liked Melania before, knowing she was an immigrant, it’s not obvious that they’ll start freaking out about her now. Mocking Melania Trump’s immigration history is a lot like calling her husband “Donald Drumpf” — it seems like a devastating takedown, but it’s really not.

What’s more interesting is the reaction of Trump’s critics. Scrutinizing Melania Trump’s records for evidence of her “illegality” actually reinforces one of the core assumptions that Trump and his supporters have about the immigration system: that it’s perfectly clear who’s “legal” and who’s not, and that if you’re violating immigration law it must be out of malice. Neither of those things is true.

Immigration law is incredibly hard to understand and even harder to comply with. That’s a very good reason not to pass laws that require government agents to be able to determine at a glance whether someone is “legal” or not — or deprive immigrants of a judicial hearing to sort out their status. In other words, it’s a good reason not to try to round up and deport all unauthorized immigrants in the US within a couple of years, as Trump has promised to do.
http://www.vox.com/2016/8/4/12377286/melania-trump-illegal-immigrant

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Just say nope.

GOP National Security Officials said:
“Most fundamentally, Mr. Trump lacks the character, values, and experience to be President. He weakens U.S. moral authority as the leader of the free world. He appears to lack basic knowledge about and belief in the U.S. Constitution, U.S. laws, and U.S. institutions, including religious tolerance, freedom of the press, and an independent judiciary.”

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Trump's spin:

“The names on this letter are the ones the American people should look to for answers on why the world is a mess, and we thank them for coming forward so everyone in the country knows who deserves the blame for making the world such a dangerous place,” he said in a written statement. “They are nothing more than the failed Washington elite looking to hold onto their power, and it’s time they are held accountable for their actions.”

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
and now drumpf in a not-so roundabout way suggests assassination. how far is he gonna push until he commits treason?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/09/politics/donald-trump-hillary-clinton-second-amendment/index.html
He said it himself "I could shoot someone on 5th ave" and nobody cared. He's rich and he's white, he can say just about anything. And as long as he says #ManyPeopleAreSaying his base eats that sh!t up.

<edit> And the spin. :rofl:

“It’s called the power of unification,” Jason Miller, Trump senior communications adviser, said in a statement. “Second Amendment people have amazing spirit and are tremendously unified, which gives them great political power. And this year, they will be voting in record numbers, and it won’t be for Hillary Clinton, it will be for Donald Trump.”

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
He said it himself "I could shoot someone on 5th ave" and nobody cared. He's rich and he's white, he can say just about anything. And as long as he says #ManyPeopleAreSaying his base eats that sh!t up.

<edit> And the spin. :rofl:
they're creeping closer to the chewbacca defense

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
"I always wanted to get the Purple Heart"

How 'bout a trade? For his leg? I know...too late...

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Even Dan Rather doesn't like you

Dan Rather said:
“He crossed a line with dangerous potential. By any objective analysis, this is a new low and unprecedented in the history of American presidential politics. This is no longer about policy, civility, decency or even temperament. This is a direct threat of violence against a political rival. It is not just against the norms of American politics, it raises a serious question of whether it is against the law.”