Quantcast

24 Hours in the Old Pueblo '05 - Plans and Smacktalk

T-Dog

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
different shack, same shotgun
douglas said:
What is the linky to this race?

and who cares what team wins, smack talk needs to be about lap times !!

but if it comes down to West vs East teams, ALL members of the west coast team are REQUIRED to race at Dalton in '05

Hmmmm...interesting points. As I recall, Mtbkngrl and Echo mentioned something about bringing Gspot along to kick some west coast ass at Pueblo '05....where you all at with that plan? Will there be some stakes involved?

Edit: Racing out east would be cool.... Besides, Ghostrider said the Dalton course was easy.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
T-Dog said:
Hmmmm...interesting points. As I recall, Mtbkngrl and Echo mentioned something about bringing Gspot along to kick some west coast ass at Pueblo '05....where you all at with that plan? Will there be some stakes involved?

Edit: Racing out east would be cool.... Besides, Ghostrider said the Dalton course was easy.
yes, come on out East next year !!

so how do you (& the rest of team Numbnuts) compare to Ghostrider? faster?slower? same?

I wouldnt call the Dalton course easy, or hard..........I'd call it fun !

ps:Current plan is for a new Dalton course in '05

T-Dog

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
different shack, same shotgun
Actually that may not have been exactly what ghostrider said...I'm just trying to stir it up a bit.....I've never been east of Texas, so it would all be new and fun to me! As far as the numbnuts team goes....we still have to get a commitment from one of the members-and as always the fitness level is directly proportional to training level (which has been pretty bad for a while). how's that for an evasive answer?

Besides, I already have a plan for getting in faster lap times than Echo....we'll just let him sleep thru his shift change!

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Westy said:
. But I must see if I can fit it in my goals for '05 which is attempting the World Solo Championships. A normal human being can only do a handfull of ultra-endurance events before burning out and I need to keep a few races in reserve in case I have problems qualifying for the WCS.
Westy, Westy, Westy!!! Start saving, planning and training now! I'm not sure i'm going to go again BUT if i can line up some sponsorship i just might. I'm working on something right now.
t

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Heidi said:
Yes sir, Texas the first weekend in March.
hey i'm going to try to find out in advance about room deals. Tapitio itself is a golf resort but they might run deals for the racers if so i'll find out in advance because i'm on the tmbra board (dont tell anyone :) )

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Change my status from "maybe" to "hell yeah".

Now the question is solo or team?

Anyone interested in a 2 person team?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Westy said:

Does it have to be a fast person? What would your plan be, a few laps at a time each?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Echo said:
Does it have to be a fast person? What would your plan be, a few laps at a time each?
I could care less how fast a team mate would be as long as they would try hard and last through the race. Number of laps would depend on how everyone felt but usually through the night you want to be out about 2 hours at a time so the other person has time to rest and recharge batteries.

You interested? :sneaky:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Westy said:

I've done the two person thing...might as well go solo. Getting 2 hours rest sucks more than getting none.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Heidi said:
I've done the two person thing...might as well go solo. Getting 2 hours rest sucks more than getting none.
When I did a 2 man team I only got 45 minutes of sleep but felt soooo much better after the little nap. But getting out of a nice warm bed at that point was possibly the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
screw sleeping....but having time to eat & drink/ time to clean or do some maintance on your bike.....while your partner is doing a lap

I can see the benefits / but what you lose is the "prestige" of knowing/saying you have raced a 24 solo !!

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Westy said:
When I did a 2 man team I only got 45 minutes of sleep but felt soooo much better after the little nap. But getting out of a nice warm bed at that point was possibly the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life.
Yah, it was JUST enough time between laps to eat fast, change into dry stuff, drink some, and barely fall asleep and then BAM! I didn't care for it. We even did double laps the whole race.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Heidi said:
Yah, it was JUST enough time between laps to eat fast, change into dry stuff, drink some, and barely fall asleep and then BAM! I didn't care for it. We even did double laps the whole race.

so are you saying you are doing this race solo.........or as a team of 4 ??

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
douglas said:
so are you saying you are doing this race solo.........or as a team of 4 ??
I am undecided if I will go. We'll have to see what airfare looks like. I'd either do solo just for training, or a team. Probably a team because I'd like to kick it and have fun too.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Westy said:

I might be interested if Echo bombs...and I'm actually fast ;) :evil:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I think I'm gonna either go solo or 5 person team. But the idea of teaming with Westy is tempting... the ultimate ringer :devil:

And xbluethunderx - I used to think I was pretty fast until I got to compare lap times with Westy ;)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Echo said:
I think I'm gonna either go solo or 5 person team. But the idea of teaming with Westy is tempting... the ultimate ringer :devil:

And xbluethunderx - I used to think I was pretty fast until I got to compare lap times with Westy ;)
Don't expect much from me in February. It will be near the start of my training season and I am more interested in having fun than going fast.

But for Dalton '05 I want to kill, kill kill, ah ahha haa haa haa. :devil:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Echo said:

Blah blah blah...We shall see, we shall see... :p

I think I might do SS on a Bianchi SASS I might acquire...My first solo 24 as technically not a junior on an SS, oh yes.

What elevation do you guys live at? I live at about a mile up and typically ride between 6,000-10,000 feet...do you think it will make a difference between higher elevation western guys and lower eastern?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
xbluethunderx said:
What elevation do you guys live at? I live at about a mile up and typically ride between 6,000-10,000 feet...do you think it will make a difference between higher elevation western guys and lower eastern?
I live at sea level.

I've heard that it takes anywhere from a week to a month to acclimate to higher elevations, but your body acclimates to lower elevations almost immediately - for example, if someone is trying to summit Everest (the ultimate high elevation acclimation), they spend 4-6 weeks working their way up to the base camp. But if they return to sea level for even 1 day, they have to start all over.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
TreeSaw said:
Well, I was checking flight options...if we book soon, we can do it quite inexpensively! What teams are we thinking (cause I would love to get an inexpensive flight).
let me know what you find about flight info !!!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Well apparently we currently have the following definites:

5 person team riders:

ghostrider
T-Dog
Echo
Gee Spot
douglas
Squirrel
TreeSaw

2 person or solo:

Westy
xbluethunderx

I'd say, if you're sure you're going, buy the ticket. We'll work the teams out. If there are too many people, I'll go solo, f*ck it. Ya only live once.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Echo said:
Well apparently we currently have the following definites:

5 person team riders:

ghostrider
T-Dog
Echo
Gee Spot
douglas
Squirrel
TreeSaw

2 person or solo:

Westy
xbluethunderx

I'd say, if you're sure you're going, buy the ticket. We'll work the teams out. If there are too many people, I'll go solo, f*ck it. Ya only live once.
:eek: solo??? Now that's just crazy talk. I bet we can get a couple more people together (Lisa G.??? Tweek???). We could always do 2 4 person teams if we needed to.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I am a solid "no" for a solo effort. There is no way I can put in that kind of effort that early in the year.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Echo said:
I sure wish there were more SS riders. That course is perfect for it.

ugh - There's a 2003 Kinesis w/RockShox Psylo XC built up SS for sale - I'd love to buy it - but lately I've spending more $ than I make :(

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
douglas said:
ugh - There's a 2003 Kinesis w/RockShox Psylo XC built up SS for sale - I'd love to buy it - but lately I've spending more $ than I make :(
I'm not sayin' I want a bunch of people to get singlespeeds and ride them for the race... that would be silly. I just wish I knew enough people who were into SS that wanted to do the race SS.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Echo said:
I'm not sayin' I want a bunch of people to get singlespeeds and ride them for the race... that would be silly. I just wish I knew enough people who were into SS that wanted to do the race SS.

ok............but I still want to buy it! :D

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
The only reason I can figure out for all these east-coasters talkin about single speeds is because they are afraid to take on the West Coast contingent in a straight (geared) fight.

Treesaw, I say go ahead and buy the tickets!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
ghostrider said:
The only reason I can figure out for all these east-coasters talkin about single speeds is because they are afraid to take on the West Coast contingent in a straight (geared) fight.
To steal a saying from Deyv - the best thing is about singlespeeding in a race is, if you get owned, it's okay because you are on a singlespeed. But if you win, you mega owned everyone because you are on a singlespeed :devil: