Quantcast

24 Hours in the Old Pueblo '05 - Plans and Smacktalk

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
ghostrider said:
The only reason I can figure out for all these east-coasters talkin about single speeds is because they are afraid to take on the West Coast contingent in a straight (geared) fight.

if it ends up being East vs West, dont tell anyone but I'll be putting my $ on West

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
ghostrider said:
The only reason I can figure out for all these east-coasters talkin about single speeds is because they are afraid to take on the West Coast contingent in a straight (geared) fight.

Treesaw, I say go ahead and buy the tickets!
LOL!!! Excellent!

So, how long is everyone else staying in the area? We're thinking of coming home Wednesday or Thursday and checking out the desert and/or riding a little in the area (nothing too crazy after the race, just taking advantage of being on the west coast with our bikes).

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
TreeSaw said:
taking advantage of being on the west coast with our bikes).
I thought you were a teacher? Arizona is not on the coast :D

I was gonna get there on Wednesday and come home on Wednesday.

But remember, we can't camp the whole time, only on the race weekend... so we gotta git rooms for the rest of the time. Me and Mtbkngrl scouted a good place to stay last year.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Echo said:

But remember, we can't camp the whole time, only on the race weekend... so we gotta git rooms for the rest of the time. Me and Mtbkngrl scouted a good place to stay last year.
I am not sure if there are any restrictions on camping out there, other than maybe a two week limit. The area is used by hunters and motos all the time and is Arizona Trust land. I know last year I set up on Wednesday and when I left Monday morning there were still a handfull of people who looked like they were going to stay a couple of more days. If you stay longer, just help clean up all the trash. Hard to believe all the Gu packs and stuff that get dumped. :)

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I dunno, last year Todd said we couldn't arrive before a certain day... I don't remember him saying we couldn't stay afterwards though.

But when the race was over, I was damn sure ready for a hot shower and a nice big comfortable bed :p

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Echo said:

LOL! I don't teach geography you know...;)

Cool. I think we're going to be getting there Thursday or Friday (the flight out is only $139) and we're planning on staying in the area until Wednesday. The flight home is only $99 from Tucson, but if we're going to be leaving the area I can check into flights from another city as well.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
There's plenty of great riding right in Tucson. I'd plan on flying out of there.

Where are you seeing these deals? Maybe I'll fly with you and Squirrel :p

Oh and plan on getting there Thursday at the latest, we wanna scope a good spot, get set up, and get a pre-ride in.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Echo said:
There's plenty of great riding right in Tucson. I'd plan on flying out of there.

Where are you seeing these deals? Maybe I'll fly with you and Squirrel :p

Oh and plan on getting there Thursday at the latest, we wanna scope a good spot, get set up, and get a pre-ride in.
Sweet! We're also planning on flying...too long of a drive with all the biking we plan on doing ;)
I found them at Southwest Airlines

T-Dog

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
different shack, same shotgun
I'm planning to drive out wed and stay till tuesday or so depending on how much time my gf can take off.....and we are bringing a tent trailer again. So Echo....any ideas about what do we need to do differently this year camp-wise?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
T-Dog said:
I'm planning to drive out wed and stay till tuesday or so depending on how much time my gf can take off.....and we are bringing a tent trailer again. So Echo....any ideas about what do we need to do differently this year camp-wise?
Well for one thing we are gonna need more room. But I thought that spot we had last year pretty much kicked ass. I might look into renting some sort of RV too, there's definitely something to be said for having a place to cook and get warm.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Airfare is waaaay pricey for me!!! Unless that crap comes down, I can't justify flying out there. SUCKS!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Heidi said:
Airfare is waaaay pricey for me!!! Unless that crap comes down, I can't justify flying out there. SUCKS!
Heh, I had a reply all typed up, then I remembered you aren't in San Diego :p

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Couple thoughts:

1. Screw the SS idea. The fun is going to be the whole East vs. West dynamic. We are waiting for the East team to finalize the line-up, so we can staff accordingly out here.

2. Treesaw and Echo, another option would be to arrive and depart from CA - and spend some time with good ol Ghostrider and family and the sweet trails around here. Then we could also road trip it out to AZ old school style. We've got room for you here in my mansion.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
You guys prepared for rain??? The year I did it, it had poured for like 3 days before and the "campgrounds" were a soggy mess.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
douglas said:
prepared, huh?

if it rains, I'll probably will be sleeping in a puddle
LOL - that would suck! I was lucky, I had borrowed my parents' big vacation van. It had a bed in it and everything! At least have a tarp you can set up and sit under.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Heidi said:
LOL - that would suck! I was lucky, I had borrowed my parents' big vacation van. It had a bed in it and everything! At least have a tarp you can set up and sit under.
hmm, I'd be lucky to fit a sleeping bag in my suitcase

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
The weather there at the Pueblo can be very cold and it can be rainy also, snow wouldnt surprise me either. This year two days before the race it was 28 degrees outside at night and the wind was blowing 25-30 mph constant. The windchill factor probably made it one of the coldest places in the nation. Last year people told me it rained during part of the race. Not sure what the elevation of the course is, 3500 feet wouldnt surprise me-its high desert. The weather was pretty nice this year, it warmed up and I think during the night it was about 45 degrees, no wind and when the sun came up it was a great time to be racing in the desert.

chicken hawk

Chimp
Sep 30, 2004
This is the third member of the West team, ghostrider had a good idea of the East flying into LA and sampling some of our riding before the race, then heading out together. I can put some people up at my pad, providing you don't mind changing a diaper or two. Between T-dog, ghostrider and myself I'm sure we can accomadate everyone.

As far as transportation to the event, two of us have large gas guzzling pickups that can handle some of the crowd. Other option another would be renting 15 passenger van/vans in combo with our vehicles. The West can also provide camping gear etc.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Doesn't it take like 12 hours to get there? I don't know how many folk are gonna feel like doing a 12 hour car ride after a day in airports. But who knows. If we do fly into LA, we would still probably fly out of Tucson.

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Echo said:
Doesn't it take like 12 hours to get there? I don't know how many folk are gonna feel like doing a 12 hour car ride after a day in airports. But who knows. If we do fly into LA, we would still probably fly out of Tucson.
The drive is more like six hours. The objective would be to come here for a few days, ride some trails, live the good life, THEN drive to AZ for the race. Just an open invitation if you have any desire to see your niece. No pressure or anything.

What's the status of the east coast team? The West Coast team has begun preliminary planning to start discussing the schedule of planning for an initial meeting to discuss preliminary training objectives.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
We are in the preliminary stages of discussing our planning stage. Why, just tonight, Squirrel, Treesaw and I were discussing our strategy. Oh wait, we were just drunk and not talking about bikes at all. But we did have a preliminary team meeting.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Echo said:
We are in the preliminary stages of discussing our planning stage. Why, just tonight, Squirrel, Treesaw and I were discussing our strategy. Oh wait, we were just drunk and not talking about bikes at all. But we did have a preliminary team meeting.
LOL!!! Yeah there was some discussion and kicking arse at darts :devil:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
ghostrider said:
The drive is more like six hours. The objective would be to come here for a few days, ride some trails, live the good life, THEN drive to AZ for the race. Just an open invitation if you have any desire to see your niece. No pressure or anything.

What's the status of the east coast team? The West Coast team has begun preliminary planning to start discussing the schedule of planning for an initial meeting to discuss preliminary training objectives.
I would love to be able to do that, but I have to call in sick as we have the next week of for February break and I won't get paid if I take too much time off right before a break (actually, we aren't allowed to take any time off but I have a plan so it's all good). Thanks for the offer though. I am guessing we'll all need some camping gear though...if your team can help out with that.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
What is the latest team status?

I would like to do a 4 man team but have to strictly rely on :monkey:'s for teamates.

From my recent trip out west I realize that the left coasters have better weather, mountains and better looking women. I am jealous and spitefull, therefore I want to rip the west coast teams legs off.

If the weather is wet and cold we might just have an advantage. I begin training in 1.5 weeks.

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Westy said:
What is the latest team status?

I would like to do a 4 man team but have to strictly rely on :monkey:'s for teamates.

From my recent trip out west I realize that the left coasters have better weather, mountains and better looking women. I am jealous and spitefull, therefore I want to rip the west coast teams legs off.

If the weather is wet and cold we might just have an advantage. I begin training in 1.5 weeks.
Dude, you better not have been in southern CA. If so, you're off my cool dude list and onto my N8 list.

Anyway, the west coast has three team members locked in at 100% (ghostrider, T-dog, and chicken hawk). Still interviewing for the other positions.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
ghostrider said:
Dude, you better not have been in southern CA. If so, you're off my cool dude list and onto my N8 list.

Anyway, the west coast has three team members locked in at 100% (ghostrider, T-dog, and chicken hawk). Still interviewing for the other positions.
Kind of. I had a 45 minute layover at LAX on my way to Vegas. If I had an opportunity to leave the airport I certainly would have gotten ahold of you. I figure I owe you a beer or ten. I have never seen smog before, it disgusted me, I could taste it and it played havoc with my sinuses

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Ghostrider has proposed a team idea, but I need to discuss it in person with a couple of people this weekend :thumb: and it includes you on a 4 person Westy :)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Echo said:
Ghostrider has proposed a team idea, but I need to discuss it in person with a couple of people this weekend :thumb: and it includes you on a 4 person Westy :)
Sweet. I need a goal to motivate me. I have been getting lazy lately and need to want to ride again.
:dancing: