Quantcast

24 inches of love

qualude

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
The County of Kings
Mr Tiles said:
how's that fork feel? I haven't ridden one yet but they look very interesting. My sherman barely moves with the tool and die spring mod and that's the way I like it for park and stuff. Just wondering how much if any the nemesis tuned forks go thru the travel?
It does move a bit, but it is really stiff, but buttery smooth! They polished all the internals, and put some Ti parts inside. The biggest bonus it that it weighs 4.5 lbs.!
You can ask Brad to set you up with a 65mm, 70mm, or 80mm travel fork, depending on which one you want.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Stoked - no need to thank me - that spring mod is all from Sean and Lee @ USB - I was just forwarding some info :D

Vas - let me know if you have any questions on the mod - it's really straight forward but in case something comes up.

kenjikuro

Chimp
Jan 14, 2006
the picture. look sort of weird. is it photoshoped? just asking if u dun mind =D.

thanks don for ur compliment =D

qualude

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
The County of Kings
kenjikuro said:
the picture. look sort of weird. is it photoshoped? just asking if u dun mind =D.

thanks don for ur compliment =D
Not photoshopped...just balanced levels using the auto levels tool, but no editing. He was panning along with me, and the other 5 frames he shot were really blurry, but this one was ok.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
kenjikuro said:
lol nice bicyclist. u go for the baby blue one too? =D i got new picture for my bike though. i have not change the sprocket to the 25teeth one.
Hey, what seat is that?

Also, what brakes are people running?

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Howdy.

I'd like to clarify that the new Fall Guys do not come with a spindle. You can see what they come with here, except the hop-up caps are painted to match your frame..

I'd also like to furnish the audience of this thread with a photo of Guy, in action. On his Fall Guy.

HighonBoost

Chimp
Aug 5, 2006
British Columbia
Hey everyone, I'm new to the ride monkey forums. Thought I'd join as I just put my deposit down for a Fall Guy, and can hardly wait! Looks like every one's pretty stoked on it; some pretty sick builds on here. I'll be coming over from a brodie miscreant, so it should be a welcome change for riding the park!

Right now I'm running a 06 DJ 3, and from what I've read this is a bit too much for the frame. Can I go about lowering this myself? Is it fairly easy? Or are there kits out there? Do I have to send my fork away to have it lowered? I'm also wondering what type of hub I should get, nothing ridiculosly expensive, but something thats gonna last; I've seen quite a few of the odyssey cassette hubs, is this the way to go? And I really want a set of those 2.1" tioga fs 100 tires, is there any shops that I can order from that carry these?

Any one riding a FG in B.C. ? Or am I going to be the first one?! :)

Oct 9, 2003
Hey Highonboost. I lowered my 04 DJ3 and it got pretty sweet. It'll take you half an hour. Here's my original thread on how to do it + pictures. Here's the description.

me said:
It's really easy actually. I'm no meachanic type, I've only taken my fork apart once before, so I thought it would be rocket science. My friend, who's a mechanic for Scott bikes descibed how he did and it took me no time to do.

- Take the fork apart.

- There are to spacers in the dampening rods. In my DJ3 one was 20mm and one was 22 mm long. I wanted to lower my fork from 110 to 80= 30mm. So the spacers should be 30mm longer (you can set it at 60 or whatever length that way). To make new spacers you use a handlebar. The part where you hold is 22.2mm diameter and fits perfectly into the fork. So I cut one spacer at 52mm and one at 50mm.

- Then you must shorten the springs. In my case 30mm. I used a grinder, to make it even and straight. It's not pretty, but that's ghetto .

That's it! Reassemble and run oil at previous height.

Let me hear how it works out.

Rock'n'roll

Oct 9, 2003
I don't know really, because I pumped it really hard with air. I like that way, just taking the edge of the big hits. I don't think so, since the length of things has been changed propotionally.

Again, it's super easy and the bike got so much better. Much more neutral in air.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
If you cut down the spring, it won't make it stiffer.

It does make it have less flex, because there's more bushing overlap.

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
Im going to call Landon this week or next to finally order my FG. I have some parts ready, but am still toying with forks. I have a new DJ2 I planned on chopping down. I realize the recommended axle to crown height is 455 for an FG. I measured the DJ2 at 500mm even. Cutting it down 45mm seems drastic, but Ill do it. What do you guys think? Should I just leave it alone and buy a gold label or something else? Im partial to marzocchi after years of good service....

Sick turndown by the way... Something to aspire to.

HighonBoost

Chimp
Aug 5, 2006
British Columbia
Well I got'r done! Was fairly easy, made all my own spacers on the lathe. It was a bitch to get the nuts off the damper assembly on the bottom of the fork, had to grind a socket down to nearly nothing just to get it to fit in there... but works great. Rides so smooth, and does feel alot better in the air. I didn't cut down my springs I just made the preload spacer a little shorter; I left it a little longer so the forks are a little stiffer and got rid of the free play I had before. Thanks Wolfcastle!

Original Height

New height

Oct 9, 2003
That didn't take you long and it looks sweet! Glad I could help - I had to grind a socket down too. Wonder when Marzocchi will start making street kits or even a super short travel dirt fork (for 26").

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Quick FG question: Will a 5.5" Profile spindle work with the new mid BB? I've got a 5.75" steel spindle but I found a 5.5" Ti for cheap.

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
Bicyclist said:
Quick FG question: Will a 5.5" Profile spindle work with the new mid BB? I've got a 5.75" steel spindle but I found a 5.5" Ti for cheap.
I'm sure you'll be ok. The difference is only 1/8" on each side, which is negligible. You'll end up having a little more of the inside of the arm threads revealed, but that 1/8" isn't going to be enough to be a deal breaker. I can't remember what length I have in mine, but I've got a chainguide on it (making things "worse" as far as the length of spindle required obviously), and I'm thinking theres probably about 1/4" or more of reveal from the end of the spindle to the end of the arm...

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
I can't imagine the 5.5" spindle would be a problem either.

Also, Tonic Fab has been putting a little team together. Rode with them some (I'm still very much injured) last week-end. All I gotta say is: Wow!

L

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
OK, one last weird question:

Can someone measure horizontally from the center of the BB to the edge of the front tire, and list what front tire is on their bike on a Fall Guy? Trying to decide between 170mm and 175mm cranks...

Thanks!