Quantcast

24 inches of love

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'm eager to see yours in geared guise. It would be cool to race slalom one on from the sounds of it.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
trust4130 said:
Definetily agree with you on that one. I just wasn't sure if the DM's chainstay measurment was min, max, or center of dropout, so I let that one out of my discussion.

In other news, FG05 (aka mine) will undergo a substantial makeover tommorow. The profile 3-speed wheel in going on, along with the associated shifting and chainguide hardware. There's also a slammed Pike on the front right now which sports psylo spring to bring the travel down below 80mm. Hopefully the dual course at Whitetail will lend itself to 24" wheels this weekend. If not, the Endless (26/24 setup)will get it's gears back. Pics to follow.
If the course is really fast and rough, I guess you could a 26" front wheel on it to slacken the angles a little. Landon will roll his eyes though.:rolleyes:

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
TWISTED said:
If the course is really fast and rough, I guess you could a 26" front wheel on it to slacken the angles a little. Landon will roll his eyes though.:rolleyes:
I don't think I could bring myself to do that to the bike... It's bad enough that gears on going on it! The speed / headtube angle don't worry me, 71 degrees pretty slack compared to a 74.5 degree bmx.:rofl: Rough course is where the problems lie. Feet have a tendancy to float off of the pedals with the smaller wheels.

I raced the FG at a WISP dual / mtx once last year and I loved it. The course was relatively smooth though. The short rear end got out of the gate with the quickness, and there was a cool roller-to-stepup/stepdown-to double that I was able to pull back and just manual thru: felt sooo good. Brappp!

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
trust4130 said:
Definetily agree with you on that one. I just wasn't sure if the DM's chainstay measurment was min, max, or center of dropout, so I let that one out of my discussion.

In other news, FG05 (aka mine) will undergo a substantial makeover tommorow. The profile 3-speed wheel in going on, along with the associated shifting and chainguide hardware. There's also a slammed Pike on the front right now which sports psylo spring to bring the travel down below 80mm. Hopefully the dual course at Whitetail will lend itself to 24" wheels this weekend. If not, the Endless (26/24 setup)will get it's gears back. Pics to follow.
I picked up an Endless semi-recently and have been loving it. I was considering a FG also, but found a great deal on a used Endless and I wanted something with a tall enough seattube to use as an all around bike (including some XC). Could you post your thoughts on the similarities and differences in the ride of the Endless and Fallguy? I'm curious since I like them both so much.

Mtbike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Indiana
Bicyclist said:
So I sold my DOC frame today!!! I'm stoked, Fall Guy here I come. It's gonna have a Nemesis Z1, Profiles or Primo cranks, Rhyno Lite XL rims on Zoke F Hazard R, Easton bar, I-beam setup, Atomlab pedals. I can't wait!

P:drool:

Mtbike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Indiana
I just bought an Atomlab Trailpimp. Im planning on running 24 inch wheels. Has anyone run this set up? Does anyone have a picture of the Trailpimp set up with 24's?

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
Mudpuppy said:
I picked up an Endless semi-recently and have been loving it. I was considering a FG also, but found a great deal on a used Endless and I wanted something with a tall enough seattube to use as an all around bike (including some XC). Could you post your thoughts on the similarities and differences in the ride of the Endless and Fallguy? I'm curious since I like them both so much.
I'm trying to think of similarities between the Fall Guy and Endless Lifetime, but truth be told they are very, very different. About the only thing "similar" between them is that on my setups they both have a relatively steep headtube angle. I had the Endless originally set up for riding trails (mountain bikers read this as dirt jumps) with dual 24" wheels and a Sherman Jumper fork, so that steepened the headtube angle quite a bit and lowered the bottom bracket to just under 12" if I remember correctly. For two MTX races I used a 26" up front due to rough course conditions and for more traction.

The bikes ride quite differently for obvious reasons: rear end length and front end length are each over 1" longer on the Endless. I should go on record here by saying I love the way the Endless rides. It's a darn good bike that can do many things well. As you mentioned, you can even XC on that bike. I'm told you can even fit a 26" wheel on the back if you use a 1.95" tire. If you are looking for a bike that you can both XC and jump, I think you've chosen a winner. The Fall Guy is quite specific in its intended usage. I suppose that it is pushing the envelope a bit trying to use it for dual slalom / mountain cross. On a smooth course it should shine, but on a rough course bikes with larger wheels, suspension, and a longer wheelbase have the advantage. Now… if I could only justify having one of those new Yeti 4x bikes…

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
Thanks for the reply Trust4130. Like I said I just wanted to know, because both bikes were at the top of my shortlist of frames to get. The I need to compare the CS again if there is that much difference in length. I can't fit much more than a Launch in 2.3ish on my Endless. I actually started my Endless with a 24" on the front and switched to a 26" later because it was too steep.

I guess for now I can be satisfied that if I need something steep and strong with dual 24" I can just ride my cruiser. But I still lust after a FG. I think the FG has maybe the cleanest best looking frame I have ever seen.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I tried dual 24s on my endless eons ago and it was horrible like you said. With a 26 on the front, it was a great all around bike though.

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
Mr Tiles said:
I tried dual 24s on my endless eons ago and it was horrible
To each his own I suppose, its all relative. If you're used to very quick handling bikes, its pretty awesome. Personally, I'll take sharp handling over slow any day of the week.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
When I owned the bike, for the most part it was 50/50 street and trails (not jumps, singletrack). It went thru several configuration changes - i.e. singlespeed, gears, 24s, 26/24, etc. Here's the dual 24's:

Marshall [at endless] told me the frame was designed for 26/24 and didn't recommend running duals at the time - this was prolly a couple years ago. Towards the end of my ownership of the frame, I was using it mainly for street. I eventually graduated to a DNA...

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
Yeah, the fork issue is something I've been wondering about. Right now I'm running a 4" with a 26"wheel. But I might try a 5" with a 24" wheel. I had dual 24" wheels with a 4" fork and that rode pretty well, but was a touch faster than I like. Currently there's not much about my bike that could feel better geometry-wise.

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
As promised, here are a couple (poor quality) shots of FG05 with gears. I finished it up Thursday night in preparation fora race this past weekend. Unfortunately, I didn't even get a chance to ride it thanks to a crash on my third DH practice run that left me with a broken rib or two... Oh well.

Attachments

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Trust: Damn. I'm sorry you didn't get a chance to ride it...I imagine this wasn't cheap, or easy to assemble. Profile has some really neat products. The 3-spd BMX cassette hub, the no-disc brake mount 20mm front hub, and one of the coolest, their 6-spd mountain bike hub. Build a dishless 135 wheel with gears and a disc brake.
Did you use the custom hanger I sent?

Bicyclist: 28.6mm is the seat tube diameter.

L

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
Landon said:
Trust: Damn. I'm sorry you didn't get a chance to ride it...I imagine this wasn't cheap, or easy to assemble. Profile has some really neat products. The 3-spd BMX cassette hub, the no-disc brake mount 20mm front hub, and one of the coolest, their 6-spd mountain bike hub. Build a dishless 135 wheel with gears and a disc brake.
Did you use the custom hanger I sent?

Bicyclist: 28.6mm is the seat tube diameter.

L
Landon,

I was actually surprized at how easily it all came together. However, I pulled the chainguide off of my endless, which I had struggled with for hours getting just right. Luckily, the allignment I used on the endless worked on the FG. I used a old spare Sram derailleur and shifter instead of getting new parts. I completly agree with you about the profile parts... I want that 6-speed hub just as a matter of principle.

I did indeed use the hanger you sent to me: it kicks ass! Thanks again.

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Bicyclist said:
What size is the outer seat clamp, though?
I'm not sure what you mean.

The seat tube is 28.6, the seat post is 26.8.

Use a 28.6 seat post clamp, and a 26.8 seat post.

L

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
Ive got profile cranks and hubs on sun XLs, a king HS, KMC chain, saddle, X4 stem all waiting for my FG. Cant wait to get her built. Ill def post up with photos. I just finished rebuilding my P3... still need to put on pedals and chain.

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
fiddy_ryder said:
just so you guys know, the hadley SS trials hub can run six gears too.. i think its a bit cheaper than the profile.
Cool, I didn't know that. O.K., I'm going to be the one to ask the stupid question: is the Hadley trials hub 135mm spacing? I really wish Hadley had a website, that would make things so much easier. Also, the reason I ask is concerning a little full suspension Mountain Cycle (resembling the FG in stature) I will shortly be an owner of...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'm almost positive the Hadley hub is 135mm...

Landon, for instance on my DOC the seat post was 31.6mm and the clamp was 34.9mm.

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
Actually, the FG geometry is listed on the site; click on Fall Guy Story on the bottom right of the Fall Guy page (does that make sense?). Headtube is given as 71 degrees and bb height is 12.375, but that will vary slightly with tire selection...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Landon said:
I'm not sure what you mean.

The seat tube is 28.6, the seat post is 26.8.

Use a 28.6 seat post clamp, and a 26.8 seat post.

L
Thanks, I got dislexic on your ass and thought you said 26.8 for both of them. :clue:

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
trust4130 said:
Cool, I didn't know that. O.K., I'm going to be the one to ask the stupid question: is the Hadley trials hub 135mm spacing? I really wish Hadley had a website, that would make things so much easier. Also, the reason I ask is concerning a little full suspension Mountain Cycle (resembling the FG in stature) I will shortly be an owner of...

let me clear it up(i was confused,, imagine that.) .. the Hadley is a 5 speed compatible and around the same price as the profile. the new HOPE trials is 6 speed compatible. both 135mm spaced fun bolt style mounting. the Hope can be found on ebay right now for about $200..

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
lets see if this works... haven't used an image hosting service yet...

... and it didn't work quite the way I wanted it to. How do I get this darn thing to NOT be a thumbnail???

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Some news below.

That Berm Shot is a really nice photo. Gotta have speed and style to take riding a berm to "railing." This looks like railing to me. Recently watched some of this new DH video called "Hypnosis"...kinda does for cornering what Building the Underground does for trails. Good stuff.

I'll thow a photo up. It's not of me. It's Guy Marsh. Guy Marsh rides flawlessly and beautifully. He's got style, amplitude, and summarizes what we at Tonic aspire to be as riders. Beyond that, he's a genuine good kid, and Tonic is helping him out with a frame. This is an older photo, and only a glimpse at what he's capable of. Make no mistake, he can kill it on anything, but perfers the "je ne sais quoi" of the Fall Guy. Not his words....

Also:

Tonic Fab is now taking deposits for Fall Guys. The price has gone up, but we are have attempted to offset that with some additional value.

The frames are the "integrated" style (Internal H/S, Mid BB) and will come with an FSA head set (painted to match the frame) and Profile Mid BB (also painted to match the frame.)

The new frames are available as part of a package, which winds up being a good value.

Frame price, including HS/BB is $650.

The package deal is:

Frame: Blue/Green/Grey

Headset: FSA Impact, painted to match the frame.

BB: Profile, painted to match the frame.

Fork: Manitou Gold Label 80/20mm thru axle.

Seat Post: Thomson

Price: $1050.

Please don't pepper this thread with complaints about the price. Manitou biases aside, this is a solid spec, and a good value.

I've had nothing but luck with my Gold Label. Sure, I'm aware of some lowers cracking, but customer serivce has been immediate.

Thats it. Write me at landon@tonicfab.com for questions about deposits or details. I'd rather not clog this thread with that stuff.

L

kenjikuro

Chimp
Jan 14, 2006
hey landon. some of my local friend solve the lowers problem by changing it to sherman lowers. and it did solve the problem .

ahhh im proud to have the first series of fall guy =D mine is still so shiny. but i cant find any tonicfab decals for it so i put some empirebmx sticker to suit it.

i will post our singapore actions when my friend got back his gold label. it been months but no news from manitou about the fork yet.

it seem they are sending all faulty fork back to manitou and solving the problem for the next series = )

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Kenjikuro: Sucks about waiting soo long for the lowers. I suspect this is because of your distributor, because every cracked casting I'm aware of has been replaced immediately by Manitou. I've contacted my "guy at Manitou" to see what's up with that situation.

I'm broken and will be out of action for a while. A sprained knee means all I can do is ride XC for the foreseeable future. Which is fine (I really like XC), but I'm already missing my Fall Guy. Here is photo from better times...