Quantcast

24 inches of love

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
v-digit said:

I really like the build. I like the simple contrast in colors, It looksreally nice.

How much saddle time have you gotten?

I just skipped out on the "World Premiere" showing of Cam McCual's video "Top Soil 2" to ride my fall guy this evening. Santa Cruz has been getting a ton of rain lately, and we finally got a break today. I couldn't waste the oppertunity. I went to some trails near my house, everything was wet, and unrideable except for the "small line" (a small tight rhythem with 5 jumps). I had a blast. I made the right decision.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
inkdwheels said:
Hey scurban, what are you doing tomorrow after 4pm? If its dry and you want to ride, get in touch with me.

actually I'm going out of town for the weekend. Next week though? Maybe Monday if its dry?

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
It makes sense to post this question here too:

Quick question: It seems like 95% of the Fall Guys I've seen use some sort of micro drive gearing. 25/11, 27/12, 28/12, 30/13...Does it make sense for a modern bike to be able to accomodate larger gearing? The current Fall Guy can accomdate a 36t CR, what if that was reduced to 30t? Would anyone have a problem with that? There are good reasons to use larger diameter gears, but who really cares? Especially when the smaller stuff works, is lighter, and looks cooler. Am I missing something? Thoughts?

-Landon

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
36 gives it a good range. I orginally ran a 36t chain wheel when I first got my fall guy, I rode it that way for a few weeks, then I ended up getting a 28t profile imperial, I run 28-13. The benefits of running larger diameter make a lot of sense for single speeds intended for trail (XC) riding. With the fall guy, it seems you get a few good pedals in then pump though a skate park, or DJ's. I don't think wear and tear on gears are not major issues here.

What would be the benefits of reducing the largest chain wheel size the fall guy can take to 30t? Would it allow more tire clearence? Shorter chainstays? Would either of these really be benefits?

Since I run a 28t chainwheel reducing it to 30t would be fine by me.

I like my fall guy so much, I know once I kill the one I have (if ever) I'm getting another one.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Landon said:
It makes sense to post this question here too:

Quick question: It seems like 95% of the Fall Guys I've seen use some sort of micro drive gearing. 25/11, 27/12, 28/12, 30/13...Does it make sense for a modern bike to be able to accomodate larger gearing? The current Fall Guy can accomdate a 36t CR, what if that was reduced to 30t? Would anyone have a problem with that? There are good reasons to use larger diameter gears, but who really cares? Especially when the smaller stuff works, is lighter, and looks cooler. Am I missing something? Thoughts?

-Landon
If I were to buy a Fall Guy (which I'm honestly considering), I would want to be able to run a 36t. I wouldn't buy it if I couldn't. I love the feel of a nice big beefy chainring and more old-school gearing. On my BMX I still run 44-16.

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
I'm with Bicyclist on this one: I like the 36:16, mainly because with the smaller drive components come an increase in the loads on the chain and cassette/freewheel.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yeah. It's just nice to have the option and anyways, what's the advantage of decreasing the range of chainring sizes that can be used?

RHARPER

Chimp
Jan 23, 2004
Dundee, MI
Didn't get to Ray's this weekend but did get out all weekend to ride and try it out at one of the local skateparks.

On the Pike. I had to cut off the finger ledges on the travel adjustment to get that side to clear the frame. One the compression side, I needed to take off the gold knob and hit the exposed metal rod with a grinder to bring it down far enough to clear the downtube. The rod moves so ealsily that I can still twist it with bare hands to change the floodgate setting. On the travel side, I ordered the Duke 80-125mm spring travel kit. It comes with all the stuff assembled (the top black screw in cap to the through shaft and bolt that screws in from the bottom of the sliders). I only had one minor bump in the road. I needed to pull the black cap (that threads into the stanchions) off the existing Pike assembly and put it into the Duke assembly. It was a matter of pulling off a small c-clip and swapping the two. It appears the Duke assembly was for a smaller inner diameter and will slide right into the stanchion on the Pike. Once this was fixed I put back in the recommended amount of lube from the bottom of the sliders and put it back together. It dropped the travel to 80mm, down from 95.

Here's a few pics. I don't have a good overall at the moment.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Twisted....good point

Boxxer, nice bike I especially like the color combination between the fork, bars, and cranks! .......................NICE!

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
RHARPER said:
Didn't get to Ray's this weekend but did get out all weekend to ride and try it out at one of the local skateparks.

On the Pike. I had to cut off the finger ledges on the travel adjustment to get that side to clear the frame. One the compression side, I needed to take off the gold knob and hit the exposed metal rod with a grinder to bring it down far enough to clear the downtube. The rod moves so ealsily that I can still twist it with bare hands to change the floodgate setting. On the travel side, I ordered the Duke 80-125mm spring travel kit. It comes with all the stuff assembled (the top black screw in cap to the through shaft and bolt that screws in from the bottom of the sliders). I only had one minor bump in the road. I needed to pull the black cap (that threads into the stanchions) off the existing Pike assembly and put it into the Duke assembly. It was a matter of pulling off a small c-clip and swapping the two. It appears the Duke assembly was for a smaller inner diameter and will slide right into the stanchion on the Pike. Once this was fixed I put back in the recommended amount of lube from the bottom of the sliders and put it back together. It dropped the travel to 80mm, down from 95.
love the build, just seems like a pain in the ass to use the pike w/ that frame

RHARPER

Chimp
Jan 23, 2004
Dundee, MI
It was a bit tedious and would have been much easier had I not pulled the fork apart to paint the sliders. All in all it was an hours worth of work to rebuild and fix it so it would not have frame clearence issues. I like the Floodgate and compression adjustment too much to give it up.

kenjikuro

Chimp
Jan 14, 2006
=X forget to tell u guys.. i think he jsut used the fork for one month.. with no trashing.. he jsut tighten it and it broke. cool huh?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
RHARPER said:

Here's a few pics. I don't have a good overall at the moment.

Hey RHARPER, got any full pics of that smashing bike you're riding? :D

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Howdy Fall Guy Riders.

Serial # is on the outside of the left drop out.

RHARPER: Nice looking rig! Looks dialed in. Light, tough, and ready for action. I'd like to see a profile shot, as well as some action photos. Feel free to send them to me. The Pike install detail is excellent.

Dierniukou: I reget selling you guys a fork that broke so quickly! I've contacted Ken about this. Obviously we can't warranty another company's products, but I'll do everything I can to get this sorted.

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
mine says FG16 - does that mean its the 16th fall guy to be made?
In the words of Ed Mchman (pick one):

"Yessss!"

"You Sir, are correct!"

"I did not know that!"

I'd wager there are more "spinner" hubcaps that fly off vehicles and decapitate people before noon everyday than Fall Guys roaming the earth ...although in NYC I'm aware of 3 Tonics. Two are Track Frames, one is your Fall Guy.

Enjoy!

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Well Landon, our trails have finally dried out, we've built some new lines, so *hopefully* I can get some shots of my fall guy in action soon. I don't know if I trust handing my digital camera over to people at our trails.

kenjikuro

Chimp
Jan 14, 2006
weird.. i couldnt find any of my fall guy serial anywhere... haha.. btw landon, i saw on the tonic news. theres a fall guy with fox 36. did he reduce the height of the fork?

kenjikuro

Chimp
Jan 14, 2006
hoorraay.. i chip off some of the paint at the dropout. and saw the holy words.. mine is 30th and my friend is 29th.. hahaa cool..maybe we should ask 1 to lastest guy bike to be posted here.. so we can look at each other tonic = P

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Bicyclist said:
Yeah. It's just nice to have the option and anyways, what's the advantage of decreasing the range of chainring sizes that can be used?
Just looking at ways to refine the bike. Maybe this isn't the place.

I can see a valid argument for wanting to run larger chainrings. especially if your riding diet includes some racin'. So far, I've noticed a fair number of FG owners who either have, or plan on racing their Fall Guys.

-L

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
V-digit, I'm riding a DOC and I'm considering a Fall Guy, but I've got a few questions.

First of all, I'm running a regular DOC. It feels perfect in terms of sizing, maybe even a bit small for me. How would the Fall Guy compare?

Secondly, I sold my BMX because I didn't feel comfortable on it. My DOC is a lot more stable and I much prefer it to a BMX. It the Fall Guy is more BMX-ish, will I still like it?

How does the bike feel compared to the DOC?

Thanks!

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
i'm 5-9 and my regular DOC always felt too long and slack for me. awesome to cruise on but not agressive enough.

the toptube as well as chainstays on the fallguy are shorter. i find that this fact helps me spin faster and hop higher.

i never rode/owned a bmx bike (besides the "hey, let me ride your bike for a sec" about 50 times) - so i always felt more comfortable and in control on bigger bikes. however, the head angle on the fallguy is steeper then the DOC - the steering is sharper/snappier - the first time i rode my fallguy i was almost freaked out, very worried - it felt SOOO much different, almost too quick with steering. however as soon as i got used to the snappy stearing and super short rear it became clear that this frame is sick. few days after i bought the frame i was able to hop up these 4 steps that i was always too intimidated to try with ease - on the DOC i cased and gotten a pinch flat on 3 same height steps. i just felt more confident on the fallguy. then there was a big ass grindbox, about 30" tall that i never even thought i'll attempt to hop onto. did it no problem. hopping higher opened up alot of new **** on the street for me. pedal grind galore. shorter stays help u pull the front up quicker and higher, and the rear follows. my bunnyhops improved sweetly. fallguy is smaller and its easier to tuck it.

i feel like i'm sayin the same thing over and over again, i hope i helped a bit.

overall - i'm thrilled with my fallguy and not for a second miss the DOC. if u ride street/park/dj - i feel like its just funner to do on the fallguy.

and its sexual lookin.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'm a little worried about the fact it's shorter. I'm 5' 11" and growing, and I have super long arms. On the reg DOC I hit my legs on the bars when I bunny hop a lot, as if I need a longer TT.

Hrm, I think I need to ride one.