Quantcast

24 inches of love

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Bicyclist said:
I'm a little worried about the fact it's shorter. I'm 5' 11" and growing, and I have super long arms. On the reg DOC I hit my legs on the bars when I bunny hop a lot, as if I need a longer TT.

Hrm, I think I need to ride one.

I'm 6'2" and I have no problems at all with mine. It feels sooo nice! Like digit said, you can bunny hop higher, and spin much faster. I could instantly do 180's and 360 tire taps much easier. I am able to 360 the fall guy out of a very mellow transition at my local skate park too. This is something I could never do on my 26" bike. I ride my friends 21" fly bikes pantera (with slam bars) a lot, and my fall guy actually feels fairly similar, only A LOT SMOOTHER, and bit more stable as well. The best way I can describe the fall guy is that it's nimble like a bmx, only smoother with better brakes. It's something both my friends that ride either 20" or 26" can pick up, and get comfortable with pretty quickly!

Get one.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Sweet. I was riding my DOC today and really thinking about what it felt like. Slow is the word I'd use to describe it.

I think I'm gonna get one. Before I do, are there any other 24" specific bikes that are quick like the Fall Guy?

And thanks to everyone in this thread for your inspiration!!!

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Well I just looked at the Union Street Bikes Molly and it looks mighty cool. Both it and the Fall Guy seem to suit the bill for me.

Any other bikes like them out there?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Unfortunately I'm in SoCal so I can't make that trek.

The Molly looks pretty similar to the Fall Guy in its BMXish-ness, but the Fall Guy is way way way more appealing to me. I just don't think I'd buy anything else 24 over the FG.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
So what's the status with availability? Are the new ones gonna be internal HS? What colors are available now?

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
if i had the money i'd ride one..definately..i skateboarded the brooklyn banks, its really rough but such a sick place to ride.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
habitatxskate said:
if i had the money i'd ride one..definately..i skateboarded the brooklyn banks, its really rough but such a sick place to ride.
You just blabber in every thread about nothing and it's really irritating me. :redhot:

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
yea, brooklyn banks are key. i live 5 mins away - couldnt ask for more.
tonic!

"I've never had a BMX guy ride my bike and not love it. I've had many mountain bikers ride my bike and not feel comfortable with it's quick handling." - this is very true

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
v-digit said:
yea, brooklyn banks are key. i live 5 mins away - couldnt ask for more.
tonic!

"I've never had a BMX guy ride my bike and not love it. I've had many mountain bikers ride my bike and not feel comfortable with it's quick handling." - this is very true

After switching from a 26" bike to a fall guy, I have to say I am much more at home on the fall guy. When I ride around on my friends 26" bikes now, I feel really uncomfortable. They feel big, bulky, and slow. The fall guy is much easier to throw around, and its low center of gravity is much more user friendly for dirt/street/park. It fits in transitions better for dj's and skate parks, and its easier to bunny hop, 180...etc..etc for street.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Well I think I'm gonna start saving up for a prime fall guy. I'm thinking of running it with a Nemesis Project Z. 1, would that be a good height for it?

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
Bicyclist, one of his pictures was him riding the brooklyn banks.duh, if i was commenting on a random spot, like hey chelsea pier has cheese inside then youncan tell me to shut up...so i'm commenting on the banks...so yeah..not too much to ride but mike rodriguz the owner of 5boro got that flat rail put in, and red bull did the tag on the stairs i think. its finally legal to skate/bike there..i wish love would open back up, although i don't know how nice it is to bike, besides a few ledges and handrails..when i get home, ill post a picture of the banks, for the people who have never witnessed it in person, its super steep..i'm in class or i'd send it now...its a lot smoother for bike since you got rubber under you, i got skateboard wheels..but you still got to haul on a bike to get up to that box on top of the banks..ill post any bike pictures of the banks i got..

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Bicyclist said:
Well I think I'm gonna start saving up for a prime fall guy. I'm thinking of running it with a Nemesis Project Z. 1, would that be a good height for it?

I have a 65mm Nemesis tuned Z-1 FR comp. It's a perfect match.... I think you can find pictures a few pages back.

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
Ive been harrassing Landon for weeks :). Im semi patiently waiting for one, probably two of the new FG frames. From what I understand they are still at least 4 weeks out.

Should be sweet!

mikeG

Chimp
Nov 14, 2004
Menlo Park, CA
I really like the simplicity of these bikes with the smooth lines. It looks like you could build a solid bike without having to have deep pockets. I am serilously thinking about building one up since I have a lot of extra parts like a great set of Atom Lab BMX Cruiser wheelset, some Saints, Atom lab stem, Azonic bars & an XTR brake set.

How much are people typically spending to do a fresh build on one these?

Thanks,

mikeG

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
A relatively large batch of Fall Guys are in process.

Great photo!! Really don't think my riding does that photo justice. I was trying to learn un-turndowns on that fly-out, without much success.

Mike G, and potential Fall Guy riders:

I wish it was less expensive to build up a Fall Guy. If you've got a cruiser wheelset laying around and a short travel fork, you are well on your way to an economical build. One good thing about a FG is that although the parts required are somewhat specialized, they do result in a durable, light weight bike. I think the rear wheel is stronger than a 9-speed dished 26" wheel by an order of magnitude.

Unfortunately you can not cannabalize your XC or DH bike for parts for a FG build and that's where most people will find assembling a Fall Guy expensive.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
That trail shot of Landon is sick! That ray of light coming thru the trees aiming right at him is cool as hell (or should I say heaven?). On 2nd look - it's like Landon is doing the sermon w/ the rest of the parish looking on.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
scurban said:
After switching from a 26" bike to a fall guy, I have to say I am much more at home on the fall guy. When I ride around on my friends 26" bikes now, I feel really uncomfortable. They feel big, bulky, and slow. The fall guy is much easier to throw around, and its low center of gravity is much more user friendly for dirt/street/park. It fits in transitions better for dj's and skate parks, and its easier to bunny hop, 180...etc..etc for street.
Agree w/ all the above and to add-on - although it's about the USB Molly - which is pretty close to a Tonic geo wise. Anyway - I've ridden a bunch of 26" HTs, 24" BMX cruisers and now the USB Molly. The Molly has a very good in between ride of a cruiser and 26" HT. Cruisers are great but no one makes one w/ a short CS, longer TT, or can fit a 2.2 tire in the back. And having a little bit of sussy in the front is a bunch more comfortable.

TWISTED said:
I've never had a BMX guy ride my bike and not love it. I've had many mountain bikers ride my bike and not feel comfortable with it's quick handling.
When I was at Ray's riding w/ the USB guys, a couple of the local BMX'rs hopped on Sean and Lee's bikes for a few runs. They looked to have no problem adapting. Actually their first runs were way better than anything I had the 2 days I was there.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
don said:
Agree w/ all the above and to add-on - although it's about the USB Molly - which is pretty close to a Tonic geo wise. Anyway - I've ridden a bunch of 26" HTs, 24" BMX cruisers and now the USB Molly. The Molly has a very good in between ride of a cruiser and 26" HT. Cruisers are great but no one makes one w/ a short CS, longer TT, or can fit a 2.2 tire in the back. And having a little bit of sussy in the front is a bunch more comfortable.

The Nemesis Project Death Mobile also has similar geo to the FG and Molly.

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
Bicyclist said:
The Nemesis Project Death Mobile also has similar geo to the FG and Molly.
I'm not so sure I'd go so far as to say that. Some minor differences in geometry can make a pronounced difference in the way a bike feels and rides. One humongous difference between that bike an a FG is the ST height; the FG has a supercompact bmxish height of about 9 or 9.5 inches (I forget), while the DM is a rather tall mtbish height of 13.5 inches. Some may not be bothered by that, but I want that top tube out of the way as much as possible. It's one of the things that make the FG and Molly unique, in my opinion, and is the reason why I'd only ride a FG (or Molly, awesome bike too).

I'm sure some would argue the point, but that's one of the reasons the FG and Molly are so often refered to as feeling so close to a BMX bike. Obviously I'm not saying that the DM isn't a cool bike or that the geometry is somehow wrong, it's just not for me or my riding style.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I would categorize the molly as close to a 20incher without being a 20 incher as you are going to get. The only differences I've seen so far is obviously the larger wheel diameter and you'd want to run a mtb bar and possibly a sus'er fork. Not having ridden or seen a FG in person, based on what I've read in these pages, it's got to be the same way. I have the nemesis SA and I'd say it's more of a mtb dirt jumper/street machine. I'm amazed that things are becoming so specialized that there is actually functionally different mtb jumpers and street machines. As Trust said, it's all about the geo and measurements. That's just my opinion.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
trust4130 said:
I'm not so sure I'd go so far as to say that. Some minor differences in geometry can make a pronounced difference in the way a bike feels and rides. One humongous difference between that bike an a FG is the ST height; the FG has a supercompact bmxish height of about 9 or 9.5 inches (I forget), while the DM is a rather tall mtbish height of 13.5 inches. Some may not be bothered by that, but I want that top tube out of the way as much as possible. It's one of the things that make the FG and Molly unique, in my opinion, and is the reason why I'd only ride a FG (or Molly, awesome bike too).

I'm sure some would argue the point, but that's one of the reasons the FG and Molly are so often refered to as feeling so close to a BMX bike. Obviously I'm not saying that the DM isn't a cool bike or that the geometry is somehow wrong, it's just not for me or my riding style.
Wow, I didn't realize the ST was that big on the DM. I'm gettin' a FG after all, I guess.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Hey Lagdon, any chance you've got any baby blue frames left? If not, would you be willing to do one, or are you doing a batch in the future?

kenjikuro

Chimp
Jan 14, 2006
hmmm my baby blue fg is currently changing some parts = P. but not the fork T_T. but well the fork is still good nice and workable =D

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Besides a short ST, the other critical dimension for me is chainstay length.

I believe chainstay length ranks above ST length for contributing to the BMX like "feel" of the Fall Guy, and Molly. Both bikes are well under 15". It's also possible to run a 2.4 Holy Roller in the Fall Guy, if that matters to you. 2.3 K-RADS have a lot of room to wobble. On the topic of tires, I'd like to see a 2 or 2.1", light K-rad style tire in 24".

I've ridden a Molly briefly, and although the set up was very different from my own, the bike felt very similar to a Fall Guy. I'd characterize it as the next step longer, and steeper. Sort of like going from a 21" to a 21.25" BMX frame. That said, it felt great and I'm sure I could get used to it in no time.

I've also had a chance to spend time on a MOB. I would say the medium size MOB is nearly identical to a Fall Guy in terms of Top Tube length. Every other dimesion is larger though. I especially noticed the higher Top Tube, longer chainstays, and slacker HT angle. I'd characterized it as a step or two more removed from the feel of a 20" than the Fall Guy, or a step or two closer to a Mountain Bike, depending on your prespective. Compared to other 26" frames, the MOB is amazing. That bike deserves it's popularity for sure.

I think a lot of the goofy stuff is getting weeded out, and some genuinely good bikes are available.

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Bicyclist said:
Langdon, any word on the baby blue frames?
Baby Blue is a standard color. Baby Blue Fall Guys will be available as soon as Fall Guys are available.

L

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
So I sold my DOC frame today!!! I'm stoked, Fall Guy here I come. It's gonna have a Nemesis Z1, Profiles or Primo cranks, Rhyno Lite XL rims on Zoke F Hazard R, Easton bar, I-beam setup, Atomlab pedals. I can't wait!

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
Landon said:
I believe chainstay length ranks above ST length for contributing to the BMX like "feel" of the Fall Guy, and Molly. Both bikes are well under 15". .
Definetily agree with you on that one. I just wasn't sure if the DM's chainstay measurment was min, max, or center of dropout, so I let that one out of my discussion.

In other news, FG05 (aka mine) will undergo a substantial makeover tommorow. The profile 3-speed wheel in going on, along with the associated shifting and chainguide hardware. There's also a slammed Pike on the front right now which sports psylo spring to bring the travel down below 80mm. Hopefully the dual course at Whitetail will lend itself to 24" wheels this weekend. If not, the Endless (26/24 setup)will get it's gears back. Pics to follow.