Quantcast

40lb post! DH/FR Rigs around the 40lb mark! tips, pics, specs

Jase76

Monkey
Aug 10, 2007
Australia
SPECS:
Year/Size- '07 Medium Intense Socom.
Shock- DHX 5.0 with Titanium spring 450lb.
Fork- '08 BOXXER World Cup.
Bar/Stem- Raceface Diabolus with e-13 direct mount stem.
Brakes- Shimano Saint 8" rotors.
Headset- Orbit 2 1.5.
Switchgear- XO rapidfire shifter, X9 mech.
Chainguide- e-13 SRS.
Wheels- 729 rims on Ringle' Hubs F20mm, R150mm, Maxxis Minion 3C Front, 40a Rear.
Crankset- Shimano XT 165mm with custom Titanium spindle.
Pedals- Shimano DX.
Post/Seat- Thomson elite, SDG Ti Fly C.
Chain/Cassette- Sram, PG 990.

Official weight- 17.51KG = 38.60Lb

Upgrades- XO Mech, 6 Inch rear rotor, 2.35 3C Minion DHF on the rear and an LG1 when funds permit.

Attachments

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
SPECS:
Headset- Orbit 2 1.5.
Chainguide- e-13 SRS.
Wheels- 729 rims on Ringle' Hubs F20mm, R150mm, Maxxis Minion 3C Front, 40a Rear.
Pedals- Shimano DX.

Upgrades- XO Mech, 6 Inch rear rotor, 2.35 3C Minion DHF on the rear and an LG1 when funds permit.

I want it!!!!

EM-EFER

Monkey
May 29, 2007
SPECS:
Headset- Orbit 2 1.5.
Chainguide- e-13 SRS.
Pedals- Shimano DX.

That is the nicest bike I have saw on this forum yet.

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
Nice build. With a less ugly bashguard (yes, feel free to kill me) and a set of Hones with steel inserts, it would be even nicer and less pricey. I would not risk a small rotor, unless you are really careful about using your brakes. But then again, if weight is your concern, go with the lightest and drop the bashguard. You will destroy your XT pedal threads sooner than your chainrings anyway.

Jase76

Monkey
Aug 10, 2007
Australia
Nice build. With a less ugly bashguard (yes, feel free to kill me) and a set of Hones with steel inserts, it would be even nicer and less pricey. I would not risk a small rotor, unless you are really careful about using your brakes. But then again, if weight is your concern, go with the lightest and drop the bashguard. You will destroy your XT pedal threads sooner than your chainrings anyway.
The rear rotor is going on as an experiment really, I'm trying it to see if I like it. People who I know who run it really don't feel much difference.

Weight is a concern in the build (obviously) but so is strength, I could shed a fair bit from changing the wheel-set to something lighter too but they're hella strong and I don't feel like rebuilding them all the time.

I dont know about hones being nicer than my XT's though.

Jase76

Monkey
Aug 10, 2007
Australia
Thanks heaps for the comments on the bike guys.

It rides beautifully, I'm very happy with it.

I put a couple more pics up in my original post if you're interested.

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Can you elaborate a bit more on the Ti axle on your XT's? I'm assuming its a one off kind of thing?

Jase76

Monkey
Aug 10, 2007
Australia
Can you elaborate a bit more on the Ti axle on your XT's? I'm assuming its a one off kind of thing?
Is a machined piece of Ti pressed into the XT's. Yep I've never seen another set with a Ti axle, totally one off.

Markedly stronger and lighter. Over here you can also get an alloy one made too for about half of what the Ti option costs, obviously not as strong but just as light.

Oct 14, 2007
Is a machined piece of Ti pressed into the XT's. Yep I've never seen another set with a Ti axle, totally one off.

Markedly stronger and lighter. Over here you can also get an alloy one made too for about half of what the Ti option costs, obviously not as strong but just as light.
something you made on your own...how can we can we get hold of them? how much more?

Jase76

Monkey
Aug 10, 2007
Australia
Well it was done by the a metal fabricator/machinist. I don't know all the details as I was sold the cranks and spindle already done when I bought my frame.

Your best bet is to find a machinist or fitter and turner who has access to Ti, take your cranks and axel into him. He should be able to measure it up and clone the part in Ti, then its just a matter of getting the old axel out and pressing the new one in.
Its not cheap, my setup cost $900 AUD all up with the cranks included.
Don't freak out people I didn't pay that much.:busted:

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Holy crapzors. $900AUD? That's something else. Well I'm glad you didn't pay that much, however it is baller as fu*k.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
...and a set of Hones with steel inserts...You will destroy your XT pedal threads sooner than your chainrings anyway.
Jase, I agree with miuan. If you're riding any real aussie tracks (rocks and pedal whacks galore) it'll be a matter of time before you both strip out your pedal threads and bend your crankarms. Between a friend and I we managed to do the same thing to 2 arms each (both a drive and non-drive in my case).

The Hone M601's (with steel inserts/washers ala saint) only weigh ~25g more than stock XT's and take a whole lot more abuse. Under the same conditions I didn't manage to wreck the hones. There are plenty of other options too like the new FSA Gravity Lights that also have inserts/washers - and unless you never crash or have your pedals touch the ground, then I reckon it's a must for a "real" DH bike.

As for the Ti axle - waste of time/money in my opinion (for most people anyway) - there's plenty of other places where you'll save more weight for less money and hassle.

Jase76

Monkey
Aug 10, 2007
Australia
Hey Udi, Yep I know where you're coming from with the crankarm thing. I'm prepared for the possibility that I may damage the XT's on our tracks, they've taken a few hits already.

It concerns me, but I think that to generalize by saying its just a matter of time before they are damaged is wrong. Heaps of people run these cranks quite happily for long periods with no problems. Its all about being aware of it and riding accordingly.

I think a coil on your shock is a must for a "real" DH bike ;).

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I think it's fair to generalize when you've seen it happen to four individual arms in the exact same way (and heard of countless others). I'll be fair and say that if they don't see a sufficient impact, they won't get busted - but to go ahead and say that's not commonplace in DH would be somewhat unrealistic.

If you don't whack them, they'll last - personally though, riding in accordance with my parts isn't something I like doing. The quicker I forget about my bike the faster I can go.

As for the air shock, the difference in that comparison is that you probably haven't tried one in your bike and/or given it a fair go - the cranks I have. For the record I'm more than happy with it and don't plan on going back anytime soon. :)

dirttastesgood

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2006
CT
i've been waiting until i got mine done to post it but its at 39 right now so i'll post it now.

Changes soon to be made-
ti spring, sunline v1 29.5, risse upper crown. e-13 direct mount stem, tubeless tires, durace cassette, x-0

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
my teams rides, mine isn't in it, but its in this thread somewhere.

grandmal is 40, the two commencals are 37-38

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
MUHAHAHAHAHA!
Actually I am eyeballing it already, I like the idea of it cornering better. I have a hard time aceing the F1 though, it rocks through rough stuff better than any bike ive ridden to date. It lands phenominal off drops and graces the landings when flat, if the Jedi has all these and cornering Im on one in January. (as well as the new 888wc :D)

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
MUHAHAHAHAHA!
Actually I am eyeballing it already, I like the idea of it cornering better. I have a hard time aceing the F1 though, it rocks through rough stuff better than any bike ive ridden to date. It lands phenominal off drops and graces the landings when flat, if the Jedi has all these and cornering Im on one in January. (as well as the new 888wc :D)
you should be on making me a stay protector and some boxxer decals! :busted:

redride

Monkey
Sep 23, 2007
Kuala Lumpur

my rig. 41.1 lbs

its got xt cranks, 9sp road cassette and ultgra RDs now. Next upgrade will be lighter wheelset (syncros DS28 & Hope Pro2) and Ti springs. That should get it to the desired sub 40 lbs mean machine I am looking for!!! Sweet!