Quantcast

40lb post! DH/FR Rigs around the 40lb mark! tips, pics, specs

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
Thanks for all your advice, good and bad :)

Carbon parts will work unless you crash hard enough to break them. I don't think my bar will break in the middle of my ride. For ESI grips, I never rode them before, I wanna give them a try.

I just installed my new solo air assembly and gave it the first bounce. It doesn't feel any kind of sticky. Someone warned us about using non-honed stanchions. I presume there is only a minor difference. My Team stanchion is super smooth, even though a spring has been installed for a full season. Maybe it just got smoother during that year. No scratches on the inside, everything was perfect.

As for frequency of riding, you guys should understand that more riding gets fingers even worse. At least mine got so. You have to have a break, exercise and take nutrition. Nothing else helps.

Old_Sckool

Monkey
Jun 5, 2007
i run the esi grips this summer & liked them. grippy, never budged regardless of conditions, and are super light (about 60g lighter than odi lock ons). the smooth surface feels a bit different (i usually run ruffians), but they get the job done. not as durable as odi's, however.
Yeah, the smooth feel is what I was referring to. The weird thing is, it was never really a problem for me. I used them for about half of last season, racing some pretty rugged courses here in Colorado. Like I said before, I never slipped a hand. But couldn't shake the felling that I might at any time. If they could give them more of a "tacky" feel, I'd switch back in a minute.

As far as durability They seemed good as far as normal wear, but did not fair as well as ODI's in a crash.

Steven

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
North carolina
thats a sweet set up! wheels look like an interesting choice to say the least. .
The wheels have really surprised me, I used them all last year. Nothing has gone wrong with the hubs, they are really stiff, and they have the Mavis MP3 warranty. Last year, I dinged up the rear pretty bad, so I sent it back to Mavic and within a few weeks I had brand new spokes and rim. They are a great option for all light weight riders!

Jase76

Monkey
Aug 10, 2007
Australia
My 08 Demo-37.85lbs
Boxxer
DoubleBarrel
Crossmax SX's
Sunline Bar/Stem
Codes
Have you got any more pics of that badboy, it looks looong!
I hope all your tracks are straight down the mountain, from that picture it looks like it would turn like a bus. :shocked:

Apart from that its a hella nice looking bike, Specialized have stepped it up in the style stakes.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Hit 38 lbs with the new wheels and tires. The tires are still 2 ply 2.35s. The Intense tires are about the same size as a Maxxis 2.5.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
where in the world do you get a pound or two by puttin on a set of flats and running one chainring??? i mean ive got one heck of an imagination but thats just unrealistic.

Dr. Ill

Monkey
Nov 29, 2005
front derailluer is 200 grams
front shifter is 130
chainring is 40
his pedals look like Shimano PD-M424 Pedals 620 grams compared to mg-1 378...

So thats about 612 grams he could save... or 1.34 lbs...

Thanks, I don't want to argue I'm just sayin.

dirtdigger

Monkey
Mar 18, 2007
N.zud
front shifter is 130
chainring is 40

what about the addition of a chain guide?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
front shifter is 130
chainring is 40

I could also get rid og the downtube gaurd which is 200g and then the odometer which is about 150g. Then there is the DRS guide. I could get it down a few more pounds but no thanks.
The pedals are pd-m424 which are 472g.

http://bike.shimano.com/catalog/cycle/products/component.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524441763013&FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302053522&ASSORTMENT<>ast_id=1408474395181785&bmUID=1197380584044

I need a front derailer around here. We dont have lifts. Nice to know it could still lose some weight though.

Angle your saddle properly and you could shave another pound easily.
I like it angled like that. I have to ride it uphill.

Im not worried about what it weighs now. I just wanted it under 40lbs.

sad panda

Monkey
May 5, 2005
What cranks are those? Are those the dual wall kenda's in 2.5?
The cranks are Deity.
The tires are the 2.5 freeride bead (single ply) nevegals. I had the 2.7/2.5 dual wall setup for a while, but pulled them off to save some weight. I've still got them for shuttle runs and races.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)

almost done

almost done!

will weigh it at the shop tmrw! needs to be adjusted, new brake fluid and pads and stuff.

my sunday was 40.8 and this frame is lighter, but i put on gravity lite mega exo instead of reg gravity lites.

im think 41.5lb

TGR

Monkey
Jan 9, 2006
I need a front derailer around here. We dont have lifts. Nice to know it could still lose some weight though.

I like it angled like that. I have to ride it uphill.

Im not worried about what it weighs now. I just wanted it under 40lbs.
then why did you buy a downhill race frame?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
then why did you buy a downhill race frame?
Its the perfect DH bike to ride uphill when you have to. Its lighter and the geo is not like a full on DH Race Bike. Look at the numbers. Its my do all bike that is mostly used for resorts and DH. Then there is the occasional 20+ XC ride.

Jase76

Monkey
Aug 10, 2007
Australia
Its the perfect DH bike to ride uphill when you have to. Its lighter and the geo is not like a full on DH Race Bike. Look at the numbers. Its my do all bike that is mostly used for resorts and DH. Then there is the occasional 20+ XC ride.
Kanter, the geo of the Socom is the same as the M3, about the most "full on race bike" out there.

Admittedly its light but it isn't a trails bike!

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
my glory freeride has a 67&#730; headtube angle and a BB at 14.5. The soccom has a 66.5 and 14.125. My TT is about half inch shorter? maybe? You're using the m3 as the definition of downhill geometry, but the soccom is the same - with an inch and a half less travel. The soccom is easily a light weight freeride frame - if you wanna debate how its gonna hold up, blahblahblah, whatever, but its got all the numbers of a downhill oriented freeride frame.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Kanter, the geo of the Socom is the same as the M3, about the most "full on race bike" out there.
But it's nothing like it with sag factored in. Having done a few runs on the M3, it's not quite what I'd call "full on race bike" either, the bar height thanks to headtube length is super high, the BB doesn't feel as low as the claim (I'm pretty sure the actual vs claimed numbers don't line up either) and the head angle could afford to be slacker. This is all corrected in the M5 at least on paper, and by doing so they've obviously admitted there was an issue with the previous generation's geo chart.

Anyway, the Socom as said already has a hunk less travel than the M3 so once you recalculate the figures after sag the numbers are going to be significantly different. It's hard to define what constitutes freeride geo and DH geo when there's a huge amount of variation in DH tracks over different locations and levels of competition (ie. local vs national vs WC), but to call the Socom a full on race bike would be off the mark for most definitions of the term.

That's not to say you can't use it as one (our local series' elite winner rode one to victory) but on paper it's not perfect.