Quantcast

40lb post! DH/FR Rigs around the 40lb mark! tips, pics, specs

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
I finally weighed my Morewood again since i put the 888 on it. I did have a manitou travis and now have the 07 888 sl ata. It weighs about 37 lbs now. I dropped a pound when i changed forks. I'm by no means a weight weenie but i might still go tubeless later on.

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England
Hi Udi, i´m going to measure the geometry after new years eve because the bike is in my shop....
The funny thing is that the BB height is at 35,7cm but the bike corners very similar to a Sunday....
Had a couple of Sunday riders who said that it is at least as good as the Sunday but i can´t say this for sure, i had not enough time on a Sunday yet.
The rear travel is 19cm, the head angle is a little bit on the steeper side but i like it very much.
One thing is that the bike forces you automatically in the right position, it is ridden pretty much over the front wheel.
Therefor it´s much grip on the front wheel, cornering is like it´s the easiest thing on earth.
The rear suspension does virtually not compress in hard cornering sections, you go throu fast like hell.
My first impression was that the rear wheel does exactly what it should, no more,no less....
The wheelbase ei a little shorter, so it´s agility is perfect but it´s not nervous on high speed sections.
After the first couple of rides the bike went to my suspension tuner...
The complete suspension is made by MotoPitkan, it´s a very smart and perfect working suspension center here in Austria.
The internals of the fork were totally stripped and replaced by a self eng1neered closed cartridge system that knocks the hell off.....
The shock is custom valved and shimmed to my personal needs, keeps the rear wheel where it should be and works nearly not noticeable, with this suspension you can do what you should...concentrate on the track.
Another nice thing is that the bike is super silent, the only thing you hear are the tires on the ground.

Keep you informed, Cannon

Thats funny cos' i found it not to atall be like the sunday, the suspension sits up allot more, which coupled with the higher bb and tighter head angle gives a completely different feel through the corners, dont get me wrong it corners well but not altall like the sunday which realy sits into the corner/ground when you push it in, where as the sunn sits up, this i found to be a disadvantage as you want the slacker h/a lower bb when you hit the corner (preloading the sus) also the suns rear end is allot longer which gives a more stable feel at high speeds(not so good in tight corners), meaning it doesnt break loose so easily as the sunday which doesnt take allot to get it drifting. the front ends shorter and the riding position at first put me realy forward on the bike so much so that i nearly killed my self getting my shorts caught on the floodgate at 30mph on a road(yes that did hurt!) i think there just diferent styles of bike the sunday is better on tech and cornering but can feel a bit more slugish due to a bit more weight and slacker angles also 170mm cranks contrantly slam into the ground which puts you off pedaling, but when you can cary so much speed through a corner who needs to? the sunn isnt as plush over bumps and doesnt quite corner as well (dependant on how you ride/which type of corners and how you ride etc) also even when i droped the spring rate it still felt quite hard where as my sunday is quite soft. also the sun is maby marginaly more flickable and the riding position is less relaxed so it gives the rider more work(in a good way). both great bikes. I will soon be building up the sun again and seeing how they directly compare i never played around with the suns set up enough realy, just had the front end quite low and put wide bars on droped a spring weight and wacked all the damping off so i should have a better comparison soon when i try slackening it off etc. one thing i would like to say is i realy didnt think much of the rocco, if felt realy dead, but too hard at the same time and even though the sunn is light and pedals well the lack of any kind pedal damping kills it a bit, but it did react realy well to minature bumps just not quite well enough to medium bumps. also this may just be me but i swear one day it would feel real plush and then the next itd feel allot harder.

sorry if that didnt make too much sense but i just scribbled down some thoughts so it might sound like rambelings.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
My Faith with new 888 SL, and flipped links..DH set up

and un-flipped links and 66 RC2X for freeride

Cannon

Chimp
Feb 11, 2006
Hi ridea, thank you for your view of the bike, as i said the Sunn works for me better than the Sunday, i think it´s very much what you like and need from a bike.
the suspension setup from my tuner has a great effect on the overall performance, he can really do amazing things on nearly every bike´s suspension.
I liked the feel of the original Setup as well but as you said the Rocco felt a little harsh.
Now it´s reshimmed and valved to my needs, the bike is awsome plush and stable.
The Rocco isn´t my favorite shock at all, i would also prefer something else...
so if you want to have a perfect custom tuning for your shock ---->PM please, i redirect you to MP.
For me it felt similar to the IH (for sure not 100%) but a little better.
I think my riding style is what it makes the Sunn perfect for me, so you have to ride what you like....

Greetings from Austria , Cannon

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England
Hi ridea, thank you for your view of the bike, as i said the Sunn works for me better than the Sunday, i think it´s very much what you like and need from a bike.
the suspension setup from my tuner has a great effect on the overall performance, he can really do amazing things on nearly every bike´s suspension.
I liked the feel of the original Setup as well but as you said the Rocco felt a little harsh.
Now it´s reshimmed and valved to my needs, the bike is awsome plush and stable.
The Rocco isn´t my favorite shock at all, i would also prefer something else...
so if you want to have a perfect custom tuning for your shock ---->PM please, i redirect you to MP.
For me it felt similar to the IH (for sure not 100%) but a little better.
I think my riding style is what it makes the Sunn perfect for me, so you have to ride what you like....

Greetings from Austria , Cannon

thanks, just like to say i own both(frames) so im not going off carpark tests or anything and im deciding which to sell(cant justify or afford two bikes or frames), i think you hit it on the head its all about rider style and preference, will probably get the shock tuned(in the uk so sorry itl be a tf job) on the sunn befor i sell it to make sure. im a flats rider and im all about the loamy tech stuff and cornering so i just get on with the sunday at the moment, but there have been times when ive had trouble jumping on the sunday compaired to the sunn and theres just little quirks with the bike wich takes some getting used to, so theres good and bad things to be said about both even from my point of view where the sunday probably suits me better. i will say though the sunn could be built scary light seing as thats what the threads about

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
your morewood is looking good wodie. i think you are a weight weenie your just in denial.
haha maybe you're right but i do my best to cover it up. when i first got the bike everyone was telling me to get a single crown to save weight but i wanted a freaking dual crown and it weighed in at 38 lbs originally. i was just amazed that it was fairly light when i didnt have weight in mind in the first place. so yeah i am weight conscious now haha.

Cannon

Chimp
Feb 11, 2006
haha maybe you're right but i do my best to cover it up. when i first got the bike everyone was telling me to get a single crown to save weight but i wanted a freaking dual crown and it weighed in at 38 lbs originally. i was just amazed that it was fairly light when i didnt have weight in mind in the first place. so yeah i am weight conscious now haha.
Welcome to the Club WODIE!!!!!!!
There are some things you can´t deny:happydance::happydance:

Greetz, Cannon

leonardohk1

Chimp
Dec 7, 2007
Frame: 2007 Socom, Small, works finished
Shock: Fox DHX 5.0, 5th Ti spring
Fork: Boxxer Worldcup
Wheels: Front Ringle/Rear Hadley with Mavic 823s
Tyres: Maxxis Minion DHF UST 2.5/High Roller 2.35
Brakes: Code / Avid Juicy Ultimate
Bars: EA70
Stem: E13
Grips: Odi intense
Seatpost: Thomson with Ti hardware
Seat: SLR 135g
Cranks: XTR
Chainring: Raceface (will change to E13)
Chainguide: MRP carbon
Pedals: Shimano (with change to CB Mallet 3)
Rear Mec: 08 XTR Shadow
Shifter: XTR
Cassette: XT (will change to XTR)
Chain: KMC X9SL
Headset: Hope 1.5" Stepdown

now 34.8 lbs

Attachments

Cannon

Chimp
Feb 11, 2006
Sunn Radical geo specs:

HA:65 deg.
Wheelbase (Short) 1149mm,(Long)1170mm
CS:450mm
BB Height 355mm
TT: 570mm,(590mm Long)
Frame height: 430mm(460mm Long)
Seat angle 69 deg.

Hope it´s all you want to know

Greetings, Cannon

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
dude they have already come and gone. this is the weight weanie thread of choice. ohh and im pretty sure bull crew intended it to encompase as many year models as it could.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
BTW I wish I had a new ride for this thread!!!!! I am desiring another frame (actually 3) to build. SOCOM/JEDI/REIGN XO :D 1 of which Ill have in the next couple of weeks and the jedi when they are ready to ship. :D
To afford all this stuff and all the changes you make to your bikes, you either:

a) are good at saving money

b) live in a shed in a back alley somewhere in the projects

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
i agree with this travis. just get a socom and come to the darkside with the rest of us weight weenies .
If I do its going to be my all mtn/XC/freeride rig, the Canfield Jedi is my next DH frame. Gota stay true to the brothers, the F1 has been a blast and thats the reason its staying in the stable. :D

I have a Sign shop/wide format digital print shop that funds my habit! :thumb:, my shack is 3k sq ft, feel a little crammped in it but a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do! :monkeydance:

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
His mommy probably made him put that towel around the stand so it wouldn't get dirty :rofl
yep, and she ****!n broke my brake! which is why im gettin another set from you!

i actually put the towel down, and she came home and said wow, i didnt think you were that responsible. she probly didnt expect it since im 18 and still dont do my own laundry, clean my room or bathroom or do my dishes or cook my food :) all i do is ride my bike and homework.

and like i said this will soon be gone for a gold dust one.

bullcrew, my chainstay protectors commin along well?:busted:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
well i do afford my own bike **** working for a shop in the uk and from sponsorships. but other than that, yea ill admit i am.

helps when your parents make 7 digits
Perhaps it's time they teach you a little class. particularly in regards to the subject of money and income. It's usually considered to be poor form to, 1. talk about how much money you make, or 2. talk about how much your parents make. it's especially frowned upon to do so in public and even more so when the info is unsolicited.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
Perhaps it's time they teach you a little class. particularly in regards to the subject of money and income. It's usually considered to be poor form to, 1. talk about how much money you make, or 2. talk about how much your parents make. it's especially frowned upon to do so in public and even more so when the info is unsolicited.
im aware which is why i did not directly state the number. but your right i gave it away. which is the same thing.

each thing you just said is 100% true. i just dislike people calling me spoiled, yes i know its true, but its because my family can afford it. and thats poor form saying that as well.

i do all that im expected to do from my parents and for that the reward me, which they dont need to do, tey just like to. so you could say, im like a dog, get treats for doing the right thing