Quantcast

40lb post! DH/FR Rigs around the 40lb mark! tips, pics, specs

SpeedyR79

Chimp
Jan 5, 2009
Coburg,Bavaria
After 1,5 years of hard work,and many many troubles...

Frame: GT Lobo STS '98er ,new ti axles,new bearings
Shock: Rock Shox Pullshock (trunnion polished)
Fork: Manitou Dorado ,IFP+EvilGenius Seals upgrade,custom Decals
Stem: Manitou Dorado (polished)
Handlebar: Easton EA70
Headset: Hope
Wheels: Hope Pro II /Mavic EN321
Tires: Michelin C16 2,5
Brakes: Shimano XT 4 pot (polished),Goodridge Stahlflex
Rear Floater: selfmade (polished,Ti axle)
Cranks: XTR FCM 952 (polished)
Rear derailleur: XT short (polished)
Shifter: XT (polished)
Pedals: Shimano (polished)
Chainguide: Carbon selfmade
Basguard: Carbon selfmade
Cassette: SRAM R9 11-19
Seatpost: GT 6061
Saddle: Flite titanium TT

40,2lbs

Cheers, Rafael

Last edited:

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Great first post :thumb:

Thats a blast from the past - As above, Is it a retro-build for show or are you going to ride her?

-BTW- those hope levers and brakes look awesome.

Rick

xxFRESHxx

Chimp
Jun 21, 2008
Germany, BY
i'm usually not a very netagive person but i gotta say that there is no hope :D
because those are shimano XT brakes.

i already said it in a different place. that lobo is one of the most awesome vintage builds ever.

to also contribute something to the topic. here is my M1
**** photo but the bike is hanging on a scale so it's predestined for this thread. spec list (click)

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
i'm usually not a very netagive person but i gotta say that there is no hope :D
because those are shimano XT brakes.

i already said it in a different place. that lobo is one of the most awesome vintage builds ever.

to also contribute something to the topic. here is my M1
**** photo but the bike is hanging on a scale so it's predestined for this thread. spec list (click)
nice 36.26 lbs, thats LIGHT!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Love it when I get the "It wont hold up" response from people!
OK, so I think its time to show some sub 40lb rigs in action! Drops, Gaps, doubles, rock gardens, ladders etc.. Lets try and sway from the berm pics unless it looks like a massive rooster tail flying!

This is myfavorite one of the sequence, where Im at the left of the picture going up! 18' tip to tip and 5' step up and Im going over the top 3-4' and overshooting it 12-16' on average. Comes in at approx 33' out and 8-9' up to almost flat! Snow was gone and track was drying yesterday then It snowed again last night but as soon as it melts and the track dries we are going up to get a video of it! It send you out there!!!
Boise bike park
Nothing huge but lots of riding and landings over time and still rock solid!!!

Beacon

Goose creek

Winchester lake

Last edited:

xxFRESHxx

Chimp
Jun 21, 2008
Germany, BY
Probably pretty cloce, he even has the board accross the top to jeep it from haning on the sides making it lighter!
of course. everything els would be like trying to paint something black with red color.
in my book it would make no sense to put something on a scale when the output can#t be correct in the first place.

action pics:
both taken on the world cup track in schladming.

step up

some roots

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Love it when I get the "It wont hold up" response from people!
OK, so I think its time to show some sub 40lb rigs in action! Drops, Gaps, doubles, rock gardens, ladders etc.. Lets try and sway from the berm pics unless it looks like a massive rooster tail flying!

This is myfavorite one of the sequence, where Im at the left of the picture going up! 18' tip to tip and 5' step up and Im going over the top 3-4' and overshooting it 12-16' on average. Comes in at approx 33' out and 8-9' up to almost flat! Snow was gone and track was drying yesterday then It snowed again last night but as soon as it melts and the track dries we are going up to get a video of it! It send you out there!!!
Note the poor form: no helmet, and drops to flat

:busted:

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
After 1,5 years of hard work,and many many troubles...

Frame: GT Lobo STS '98er ,new ti axles,new bearings
Shock: Rock Shox Pullshock (trunnion polished)
Fork: Manitou Dorado ,IFP+EvilGenius Seals upgrade,custom Decals
Stem: Manitou Dorado (polished)
Handlebar: Easton EA70
Headset: Hope
Wheels: Hope Pro II /Mavic EN321
Tires: Michelin C16 2,5
Brakes: Shimano XT 4 pot (polished),Goodridge Stahlflex
Rear Floater: selfmade (polished,Ti axle)
Cranks: XTR FCM 952 (polished)
Rear derailleur: XT short (polished)
Shifter: XT (polished)
Pedals: Shimano (polished)
Chainguide: Carbon selfmade
Basguard: Carbon selfmade
Cassette: SRAM R9 11-19
Seatpost: GT 6061
Saddle: Flite titanium TT

40,2lbs

Cheers, Rafael

Very nice work! I like the component spec. on the mid-retro build. A very proud time for GT in mountain biking...

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
I hope this is sarcasm, because I remember hearing something about GT recalling these frames. Hopefully some monkeys that have been around DH longer than myself can shed some more light.
No sarcasm at all my friend.
GT was on top of their game, pushing the envelope with incredible designs and manufacturing processes that were unheard of at the time. Yes, there were occasional problems, but that goes along with progression.

Product recalls are nothing new, nor anything old, they still exist.

Hey, I just noticed the floater on the rear too.... That has got to be custom! I do not believe those were around at the time. With discs on the rear being somewhat new concept, I don't believe brake-jack was even a coined term in mtb yet, haha... Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I honestly don't remember those....
At first was wondering what that bracket on the chainstay was, it was too far back to be an old Hayes 22mm bracket... then saw the connecting floater. Interesting!

Last edited:

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
occasional problems?
Headtubes were snapping off like they were designed to do that.
Still a sick build above though.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
GT was on top of their game, pushing the envelope with incredible designs and manufacturing processes that were unheard of at the time. Yes, there were occasional problems, but that goes along with progression.

Occaisional problems like repeated catastrophic failure at the head tube lug? I've heard accounts from people that broke several in only a few months. The fully aluminum frames didn't have this problem, but the carbon version was plagued by it.

Interestingly enough, this design didn't stick around for long, despite all the cutting edge designs and manufacturing processes.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Note the poor form: no helmet, and drops to flat

:busted:
-O- HELL NO!
#2 and #4 were to small trannys, I cleared the flat at beacon and the winchester one has a slope! :thumb: However out of 2 bads each pic has only 1 not both! #1 landed tranny on all 7 jumps and overshoot #8 to flat, #2 to tranny theres a small decline there #3 yes thats to flat but I have a helmet on #4 to tranny no skull casket!
Im getting better!!!!!!

Ill post a pic of the ussery drop, its a super steep hill with 4 pallets packed with dirt to make a launch! So while its going down really fast the kicker jump shoots you up and towards the sky! Fun but scares the $hit out of you! :D It's a rush!

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
Interestingly enough, this design didn't stick around for long, despite all the cutting edge designs and manufacturing processes.
IIRC that design didn't stay around long because Specialized started 'asking' people to pay for the Horst link that in many cases they had been using for years without worries.
After this GT went to the I Drive system of bikes to try and develop a suspension system that they could patent and protect themselves. It wasn't a performance choice, but a financial one.

Oh yeah the GT carbon bikes were notorious for failures. Handmade in teh USA what? A shame really as GT has taken a long time to come back to the way they were before the death of Richard Long.

There was a floater option with that frame, and the frames i saw were frame kits which included Hope hubs (Big 'uns) and Hope Disc brakes - presumably because they didn't expect you to be able to find a disc brake in the real world.

Edit: Good work Euro fella, nicest looking Lobo i have seen, you've done well there. Looks like a slack head angle, have you had a chance to ride it against a 'modern' bike?

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
IIRC that design didn't stay around long because Specialized started 'asking' people to pay for the Horst link that in many cases they had been using for years without worries.
After this GT went to the I Drive system of bikes to try and develop a suspension system that they could patent and protect themselves. It wasn't a performance choice, but a financial one.Haha nice id never really clicked as to why GT droped the Lobo instead of devloving it(i always liked them,despite of their problems)

Oh yeah the GT carbon reinforced thermoplastic(not true carbonfibre per say) bikes were notorious for failures. Handmade in teh USA what? A shame really as GT has taken a long time to come back to the way they were before the death of Richard Long.

There was a floater option with that frame, and the frames i saw were frame kits which included Hope hubs (Big 'uns) and Hope Disc brakes - presumably because they didn't expect you to be able to find a disc brake in the real world.

Edit: Good work Euro fella, nicest looking Lobo i have seen, you've done well there. Looks like a slack head angle, have you had a chance to ride it against a 'modern' bike?
Actually the floater was standard an the only option....all the holes on the swingarm bracket where to adjust the amount of brake induced squat/jack:cheers:

oh an i agree,that has to the sexiest Lobo iv ever seen:cupidarrow:

SpeedyR79

Chimp
Jan 5, 2009
Coburg,Bavaria
Well,the STS Lobo "works",not more.Its a very special vintage build,more -its a Tribute to "10 Years of Passion". Around '98-99 the Lobo wars my dream bike.
Since them i am a big GT fan (and SoCal),and and the passion is unbroken .

My other GT Lobo (sold :banghead: )

Damn,that was a very good Bike.Not the lightest,but with a super handling.It was nice to seen how "good" a older Bike could hold the line on the track with the newschooler's like Speci,Giant ect..

And some newschool Stuff (Photo shot in LA -'07/'08 SoCal Roadtrip)

Bigbike-big technic-big troubles.After 3 weeks in SoCal (tunnel,coldsprings,anderson) -main axles and bearings damadged.Replace parts?damn! :disgust1:

I hope thats my last Project for the next 2 Years...

Cheers Rafael

Last edited:

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
I'm at a loss of words. Weighed my Demo today for the first time. I thought it was 41lbs. Came out to be 44lbs. I don't see how, seeing as they came stock around 41, and I've haven't done much to see it become that much heavier, if at all. :crazy: I know the front wheel is heavier, but I've saved weight in the bar, seat, chainguide, cassette, and headset.

I've put a Progressive 5th since this photo was taken.

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
I'm at a loss of words. Weighed my Demo today for the first time. I thought it was 41lbs. Came out to be 44lbs. I don't see how, seeing as they came stock around 41, and I've haven't done much to see it become that much heavier, if at all. :crazy: I know the front wheel is heavier, but I've saved weight in the bar, seat, chainguide, cassette, and headset.

*snip*

I've put a Progressive 5th since this photo was taken.
Specialized Demo 8 II Frame
Progressive 5th CVT5
'08 Fox 40RC2
Avid Code 8"F, 7"R
Sram X9 Shifter
Sunline V1 Bar
Lizard Skins Peaty Grips
Chris King Headset
Syncros Derived Post
WTB Silverado Seat
Truvativ Holzfeller 170mm Crank, 38t ; Truvativ Howitzer Team BB
E13 SRS
Wipperman 9sp Chain
Sram PC970 11-26 Cassette (not DH)
Sram X9 Rear Derailleur
Specialized Stout Hubs
Mavic721 R, Mavic 325 F
DT Swiss Comp Spokes
Maxxis HighRoller 3C 2.5 F, Specialized Chunder 2.5 UmmaGumma R
Specialized LoPro Mag II Pedals
Sram Cable, Jagwire Housing
LW 2.1-2.5 Tube F, LW 1.5-2.0 Tube R

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Specialized Demo 8 II Frame
Progressive 5th CVT5 - Ti spring
'08 Fox 40RC2
Avid Code 8"F, 7"R - Formula the ones, Biancos, juicy 7s
Sram X9 Shifter
Sunline V1 Bar
Lizard Skins Peaty Grips
Chris King Headset
Syncros Derived Post -SDG IBeam
WTB Silverado Seat - SDG I FLY
Truvativ Holzfeller 170mm Crank, 38t ; Truvativ Howitzer Team BB - Middleburns, XTs, hooka DH, FSA gravity lightE13 SRS
Wipperman 9sp Chain
Sram PC970 11-26 Cassette (not DH) - 990, XTR or ultegra
Sram X9 Rear Derailleur
Specialized Stout Hubs - Hope pro II, King, I9, HadleyMavic721 R, Mavic 325 F - ex 5.1. 721, ex 6.1, dp32 syncros
DT Swiss Comp Spokes
Maxxis HighRoller 3C 2.5 F, Specialized Chunder 2.5 UmmaGumma R - Check the weights those are all over the place. (maxxis is all over,)Specialized LoPro Mag II Pedals
Sram Cable, Jagwire Housing
LW 2.1-2.5 Tube F, LW 1.5-2.0 Tube R - TUBELESS
]
Just some ideas.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I swear RM has the biggest collection of race bikes of anysite on the internet. Ive looked at mtbr, PB and a couple of other smaller sites and it seems the monkies have some serious rides for racing and technical info. Still amazes me the crew thats on this site! :thumb:'s up to RM and the monkies!
Ive also seen this site refered to others in DH/FR looking to shed weight or wanting info/pics.

Mar 14, 2008
My new Sunday... this bike is simply amazing. I couldn't be happier. Cornering, pick up, braking, suspension action... yadayadayada. You've heard it all before.

View attachment 97116

Here's the stats: 38.9lbs
Large 2008 Sunday Factory
DHX 5.0
Obtainium 450lb spring - I'm 210 lbs
RS Boxxer WCs
X9 shifting, wipperman chain, and ultegra 12-27 cassette
165 mm FSA gravity lights (beware - I broke these in half an inch from the pedal inserts - have Saints on the way!)
Juicy 7s with 203 mm rotors
Hadley hubs with Mavic 823s tubeless
Maxxis DHF and DHR (non ust) tires
WTB ti seat with Thompson post
e-13 LG1 guide
sunline bar and stem
wellgo mg1 pedals (won't buy again, as I've ripped the pins out - magnesium is apparently too soft)

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
That's the latest version of my 2008 Glory bike
(already posted in Single Crown DH/FR topic)

Quick specs:
2008 Glory S frame with DHX Air 5.0
Totem Solo Air
Thomson/Easton/X.9 Triggers cockpit
X.9/FSA Gravity Light/Dura-Ace drivetrain
Formula Oro K24 brakes (soon will be changed for Elixirs CR Carbon)
EN321/DT/Hope Pro II/Schwalbe Top Table (lightest setup) wheels
Thomson/Tioga MC Lite Ti under my a** ;)
DX SPD pedals
E13 SRS custom chainguide

Current weight 15,8kg (35,11lbs)
Pretty good result taking into consideration fact how heavy the frame is.
But 2010 Glory is going to be awsome... I will certainly get it :)

I am going to lose nearly 100g on headset (stock one is crappy and heavy), and the is a chance I will get Syncros AM Traverse pedals and 2009 E13 LG1 which will shed abother 200-300g... so no need for these ridiculously thin tubes and tires :D

Last edited: