Quantcast

40lb post! DH/FR Rigs around the 40lb mark! tips, pics, specs

Neuro

Chimp
Dec 29, 2006
thats lookin good. but what rims. pedals, and seat post are you running? the peadals look like v12 mags. and the rims look like 117s.
Mavic 721 with hope ProII hubs and Dt competion spokes, DMR V8 pedals, and a old seatpost. I'm waiting for the Thompson.

dhmtbiker9

Chimp
Dec 8, 2006
Here is my SUNDAY weighing in at 42.9 pounds.I am swapping out guide for lg-1,rear shock to roco,and maybe bars.I do want to reweigh on a differant scale.I was trying to build this bike for 3000.00 and missed that by 200.00. Still not bad for a dh bike.

Attachments

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
Here is my SUNDAY weighing in at 42.9 pounds.I am swapping out guide for lg-1,rear shock to roco,and maybe bars.I do want to reweigh on a differant scale.I was trying to build this bike for 3000.00 and missed that by 200.00. Still not bad for a dh bike.
by the way a different pair of cranks would drop a ton of weight.

midas

Chimp
Aug 16, 2005
Vancouver, Canada
lets see some more sub 35 dh bikes...

Orange 224
Boxxer WC
Fox DHX 5.0 ti spring
Raceface Atlas
MRP system 3 w/ carbon boomerang and carbon ring
Mavic 721 laced to Hope Pro II hubs front and rear
Chromag 1.25 rise FUBAR
New chromag seatpost... dont know the name yet
Chromag Box Stem
King headset
Sram Hollowpin Chain
Raceface Race ring 38t
Avid Juicy Ultimates
Sram PG 970 cassette
XC tubes
Minion 3c 2.5's
selle italia SLR saddle
crankbrothers mallet M's
Sram XO rear mech and shifter

should come in around 32, maybe lighter. Im doing a build kinda like this and will post up what it came out to.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004

Orange 224
Boxxer WC
Fox DHX 5.0 ti spring
Raceface Atlas
Chromag 1.25 rise FUBAR
Chromag Box Stem
King headset
Sram Hollowpin Chain
Raceface Race ring 38t
Avid Juicy Ultimates
Sram PG 970 cassette
XC tubes
Minion 3c 2.5's
selle italia SLR saddle
crankbrothers mallet M's

should come in around 32, maybe lighter. Im doing a build kinda like this and will post up what it came out to.
not a chance. maaaaybe 35 or 36 if your lucky.

_*sTiTcHeS*_

Monkey
Apr 24, 2006
i doubt that build will come under 35lbs let alone 32.:disgust:

but i may be wrong.

edit: looks like i need to refresh my browser once ever couple o hours.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com

Orange 224
Boxxer WC
Fox DHX 5.0 ti spring
Raceface Atlas
Chromag 1.25 rise FUBAR
Chromag Box Stem
King headset
Sram Hollowpin Chain
Raceface Race ring 38t
Avid Juicy Ultimates
Sram PG 970 cassette
XC tubes
Minion 3c 2.5's
selle italia SLR saddle
crankbrothers mallet M's

should come in around 32, maybe lighter....
:twitch: ... maybe if you weigh it on the moon.

kellyn7

Monkey
Apr 12, 2005
San Diego
Hoping the build on my '07 Demo 8 comes in around 41 lbs. Gonna start the build once my fork and crankset get here.

Here's what my build sheet is:
'07 Demo 8 frame (definately lighter than past years)
Marzocchi 888 RC2X World Cup (white lowers)
Cane Creek Double Barrel w/Ti Spring
Intense Mag 30 / Hadley Wheelset (this is gonna kill me in the weight department)
Silver Race Face Diabolus Crankset 38t chainring
Avid Juicy Carbons with Goodridge lines and pads
Chris King Headset
Crank Bros. 5050xx pedals
Sram X.O shifter and X.O shorty derailleur
Sram Hollow Pin Chain
E-13 LG Chainguide
ODI Lock-on Grips
Hope 34.9 Seat Clamp
(not sure on seat/seatpost yet)

Attachments

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless

Orange 224
Boxxer WC
Fox DHX 5.0 ti spring
Raceface Atlas
Chromag 1.25 rise FUBAR
Chromag Box Stem
King headset
Sram Hollowpin Chain
Raceface Race ring 38t
Avid Juicy Ultimates
Sram PG 970 cassette
XC tubes
Minion 3c 2.5's
selle italia SLR saddle
crankbrothers mallet M's

There is no way that will be 32 pounds, NOT FVCKING WAY. LUCKY if its 35, throw a DHX air, Ibeam post and Ifly saddle, egg beater dual Tis, e13 ali stem, monkey light DH bars, Dura ace Cassette, and some formulas. Also sapim bladed spokes and alloy nipples will help. Oh and middleburns and you MIGHT get 32 range

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.

Orange 224
Boxxer WC
Fox DHX 5.0 ti spring
Raceface Atlas
Chromag 1.25 rise FUBAR
Chromag Box Stem
King headset
Sram Hollowpin Chain
Raceface Race ring 38t
Avid Juicy Ultimates
Sram PG 970 cassette
XC tubes
Minion 3c 2.5's
selle italia SLR saddle
crankbrothers mallet M's

Not a chance in hell it will be anywhere near 32lbs. You must mean canadian pounds, with a 25% exchange rate.

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
I'm hoping to get around 40 pounds with this build.
Frame: SWD DH216
Shock: DHX Air
Fork: Boxxer Team
Bar: Sunline Vs-1
Stem: Sunline Direct Mount
Headset: Cane Creek ZS-2
Cranks: XT, 165mm with 34t guidering
Pedals: Xpedo Force
Chain: XTR
Saddle: I-Fly
Seatpost: I-Beam
Wheelset: Outlaws, converted to tubeless
Guide: My special, little carbon one
R. Der.: 105
Shifter: Saint rapidfire
Cassette: Ultegra 11-23
Brakes: Stroker Trails, 7" front and rear
Tires: Tubeless DHF's, 2.5"

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
There is no way that will be 32 pounds, NOT FVCKING WAY. LUCKY if its 35, throw a DHX air, Ibeam post and Ifly saddle, egg beater dual Tis, e13 ali stem, monkey light DH bars, Dura ace Cassette, and some formulas. Also sapim bladed spokes and alloy nipples will help. Oh and middleburns and you MIGHT get 32 range
AND some single ply tires

Not a chance in hell it will be anywhere near 32lbs. You must mean canadian pounds, with a 25% exchange rate.
haha, word and owned!

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
wow, i would really like to see that orange, 32lbs or not....

finally got my bike sub 40lbs. its 39.6, not properly sub 40 tho. not that i can be bothered anymore. what i found interesting was that dual ply with 1.95 tubes is the same weight as michelin dh tires tubeless.

In8Racing

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Trying to find some skillz...
I'm trimming the fat on my '06 Morewood Izimu (as well as myself) and just dropped .8 pounds going to a Manitou Ti Spring. Other immediate savings were .3 pounds going with an LG1, and .2 pounds going to a 105SS rear derailluer. Once I get my new wheels built, I'll toss up a pic of the bike on the scale.

Should be 39-40 pounds...and well built.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
you know somethings wrong when TheMontashu is telling you you cant get it that light.

ive added up some weights very carefully, and for bikes that are heavier than 10 pounds with shock the parts dont exist or are crazy expensive to shave that much weight.

say a 224 with a decent build is 35 pounds, saving another 3 pounds isnt gonna happen unless you put on.

eastern ti cranks
carbon road seatpost
carbon bar and syntace stem
ti cassette
rock hard carbon seat
light ass tires and 500g rims

but then you dont have a downhill bike anymore you have an xc bike on a downhill frame and fork.

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
you know somethings wrong when TheMontashu is telling you you cant get it that light.

ive added up some weights very carefully, and for bikes that are heavier than 10 pounds with shock the parts dont exist or are crazy expensive to shave that much weight.

say a 224 with a decent build is 35 pounds, saving another 3 pounds isnt gonna happen unless you put on.

eastern ti cranks
carbon road seatpost
carbon bar and syntace stem
ti cassette
rock hard carbon seat
light ass tires and 500g rims

but then you dont have a downhill bike anymore you have an xc bike on a downhill frame and fork.
very true, 32 is hard to accomplish. it might be possible with the new socom, but still stupid expensive...:plthumbsdown:

ill hopefully have my 9.5 on here soon round 41 or 42

jake133

Monkey
Jan 21, 2005
SLC, Utah
Maybe i'm just biased/jelious because i don't have enough money to be a good weight winnie, but it seems like you would get faster spending your money on trips or going to more races than getting your bike down a pound or two. I'm not saying light bikes are bad or anything but at some point it just seems silly.

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
Maybe i'm just biased/jelious because i don't have enough money to be a good weight winnie, but it seems like you would get faster spending your money on trips or going to more races than getting your bike down a pound or two. I'm not saying light bikes are bad or anything but at some point it just seems silly.
remember this is a weight weenie thread, ur on thin ice:monkeydance:

:biggrin:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I did beacon 4 weeks ago, boise last weekend, bootleg saturday and sunday , beacon the following weekend and then boise again and possibly moscow mtn if I squeeze it in. Plus we ride atleast 2-3 times a week from railing down the hill to urban and devils slide and the drops out there as well.
We get plenty of riding in and I dont really get all sore if I scratch or smash my stuff! I have 2 of almost everything for that reason to eliminate down time including another front triangle and links for my Canfield F1.

It is a weight weenie thread. I understand your frustration with it though, but it is a good forum to get ideas on items that not only come up shy on the scale but last well.

If you come up with some stuff we'd be glad to read it as well.
Keep on bikin. :thumb:

ape

Chimp
Jan 15, 2007
My 07 Uzzi is 38ish almost 39.

Could probably scrape some more weight off by replacing the cranks and I'm going tubeless soon.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
and im not a wiehgt weenie, i just like pimpin my bike out. i run single ply simply cuz ive gotten away with it sucessfully, just run higher PSI
WEIGHT WEENIE!!!!:busted:
I run ti springs because the spring better! :D
I run single ply because Its more durable than 2 ply. :D

Just messin with ya!
Ti retains its memory better and its lighter, single plys (tubeless) shed atleast 2 lbs and have alot less roatational mass etc.. So its bonus on the light weight front.