Quantcast

40lb post! DH/FR Rigs around the 40lb mark! tips, pics, specs

Strickland

Chimp
Jul 27, 2007
Amarillo
My 2006 Sunday Elite, Im pretty sure it weighs around 40 somethin lbs. ( thanx cbj haha )

Im upgrading it to sram xo and mavic tubless rims pretty soon.

JK:UK

Chimp
Apr 17, 2004
UK
I think someones scale is wrong, and I'm hoping it's mine.

X9 shifter/derailer, Juicy's, Gravity mega-exo cranks, and everything else lighter across the board and the Topeak stand/scale says 34.6lbs.

erm..
wheels?
these are cx rays on 819's with ti hubs, tubeless
atlas are pretty light
ti rails on the saddle. my bar and stem combo doesnt get much lighter.

its also a small frame

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
erm..
wheels?
these are cx rays on 819's with ti hubs, tubeless
atlas are pretty light
ti rails on the saddle. my bar and stem combo doesnt get much lighter.

its also a small frame
Ahh you got me.

Seriously, I was hoping the Topeak scale was a P.O.S. and it was actually lighter.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
My 2006 Sunday Elite, Im pretty sure it weighs around 39 lbs.

Im upgrading it to sram xo and mavic tubless rims pretty soon.

I have XO, 823 tubeless and tubeless Maxxis, DHX and ti spring and the lighter US build frame kit and mine is 41-42 lbs. I have profile cranks with ti spindle but you have the heavy Race Face cranks with are at least the same weight.

I don't know why there are is so many claiming lower weight of their bikes at the moment here on Ridemonkey (Strickland nothing personal aimed at you). Don't get me wrong a light bike is nice but unless you down to maybe top 10 in pro what wins the race is the ability of the rider not 1 lbs lighter bike.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
OK, I don't have a scale, but here are the spec's. I probably get to the vet's office right around the corner to get it on their scale to see for sure. However, anyone want to guess?

2006 Mountain Cycle Shockwave 9.5, medium w/ DHX 5.0 and floating brake

Headset: Chris King

Cranks: Silver Raceface Diabolus, 36t RF ring

Guide: MRP System 1, w/ E13 outer ring

Brakes: Hayes Purples 8" w/ BFL levers and Goodridge lines

Wheels: Sun/Intense Mag 30s laced to Hadley 36h hubs, DT double butted spokes

Bars: Raceface Diabolus

Stem: Integrated Stem

Fork: 2005 888 Works 8"

Shifter: XTR 952

Derailleur: XTR 952 med. cage

Cables/housing: Delta Powerlines, teflon cables (similar to Nokon) (new)

Cassette: XT 752 11-34

Chain: XTR

Tires: Maxxis Minion DHF 3C 2.7 F; Maxxis Minion DHF 2.7 Super Tacky R

Seatpost: Thomson

Grips: ODI Ruffian

Endcaps: NYC freeride

So, any guesses?

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
That is a sick shockwave. I still love those frames. My friend has one w/ a 888. Everything else is lighter though and his weighs 43 or so lbs. I would say 47lbs.
I bought it from the dude in your sig.....I figure the reason why he didn't like it much was because it was FAR to burly for him. Hell, I'm about 60-65 lbs heavier than he is and its just right for me.

Yeah, I do have to say I do like the rims and the wheel set, especially with my plow right through it riding style. The other thing that I found hugely interesting is the fact I can hit or get myself into some trouble and have come away unscathed...I'm blown away at the stuff I get through or survive.....I figure 47 lbs is a good guess. The spec's I got from the original add of the guy who built the bike up.

She's heavy though....

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
...Don't get me wrong a light bike is nice but unless you down to maybe top 10 in pro what wins the race is the ability of the rider not 1 lbs lighter bike.
I would have to agree, but I must add that if you are going to try and take weight off a bike then your no.1 target should be the wheels. They REALLY do make a difference.

I have a lighter bike with a lot of the weight in the wheels/tires/tubes and it feels like a turd. At the same time on my SX Trail the wheels are much lighter, as well as lightweight tires with XC tubes and the difference is unbelievable. Even though the bike as a whole is heavier, the SXT accelerates like a freakin' rocket compared to the other bike (which is even a hard tail).

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I would have to agree, but I must add that if you are going to try and take weight off a bike then your no.1 target should be the wheels. They REALLY do make a difference.

I have a lighter bike with a lot of the weight in the wheels/tires/tubes and it feels like a turd. At the same time on my SX Trail the wheels are much lighter, as well as lightweight tires with XC tubes and the difference is unbelievable. Even though the bike as a whole is heavier, the SXT accelerates like a freakin' rocket compared to the other bike (which is even a hard tail).
I agrea, I have one wheelset (I9's) that have tubless kendas work flawless and I have hammered the HE!! outa them, then when bootleg or really gnarly stuff come up I have another set of wheels (I9's) that have a 2.7 front 2.5 rear dh casings with med duty tubes and there is a HUGE difference between the bikes response and handling between the 2. I'll ride lighter as much as possible, its more manueverable and handles better (alot more alive).

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Why yes it is. It's not in my possession yet. Still being finished, but it should be really good. I'm hoping to have it running real solid. It has a super short wheel base with a nice long TT, so it should be running really well. I'm really excited, but it might be another week or two.

Mr.Flannery

Chimp
Jan 27, 2007
Greenville, SC
'05 Session 77. Weighs 42.8 lbs w/ Sherman Breakout Plus (soon to be replaced), Swinger 4-way, Mavic 729 with Chris King hub...etc....

I also need some suggestions for a new fork if anyone has any opinions. Im looking to go DC with a price somewhere in the 300-400 dollar range. Itll probably be used for about half racing and half freeriding.
Thanks

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
'05 Session 77. Weighs 42.8 lbs w/ Sherman Breakout Plus (soon to be replaced), Swinger 4-way, Mavic 729 with Chris King hub...etc....

I also need some suggestions for a new fork if anyone has any opinions. Im looking to go DC with a price somewhere in the 300-400 dollar range. Itll probably be used for about half racing and half freeriding.
Thanks
Get that Sh!t outta here

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland

Thanks
I'm rocking a 7 in boxxer race on my session 7. Balances the bike out perfectly, and feels fantastic.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA

Thanks
Im liking the grips and chain stay protector, all you need now is a boxxer.