Quantcast

40lb post! DH/FR Rigs around the 40lb mark! tips, pics, specs

Dean W

Chimp
Nov 26, 2008
IMO,
XT cranks (I run them on another bike, but no way would I run them on a bike that would be prone to pedal strikes)

Dhx Air shock on THAT frame...with its wierd VPP rate variation (personally I dont ride one on any bike as I think they feel like crap).

Wheels. Mavic hubs are so-so at best...24 proprietary alumiminum spokes, machined out rims. I could see one in front.

Tall Mag pedals with ti spindles and a rider weight limit....another recipe for walking home if there are any rocks around.

The saddle. Sitting on it may be fine, but fast rough off camber turns call for inner thigh-seat contact something that will become painful on long days of lift service.

Then there is the frame itself... again a nice part, but not a DH frame IMO. Too tall, short and steep and flexible to be classed as a true DH frame.

It is a nice bike for sure, but there are some serious comprimises made (like most of the bikes posted in this thread) that IMO would make it less reliable and lower performance (and more expensive) than I would allow in any DH bike I owned...
Now this is a logical explanation of why you agree or disagree with parts selection.

I agree with DaveT on the cranks (I've killed a set on my trail bike on a rock).

The pedals.....I run them and like them.

The wheels are a HUGE question mark to me.

Saddle.....up in the air on that one. I run a Devo Ti with good success but I'm looking into a SLR myself.

The shock is a question mark for me as I've never had a Socom or a DHX air....unknown compatibilities for me.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
IMO,
XT cranks (I run them on another bike, but no way would I run them on a bike that would be prone to pedal strikes)

Dhx Air shock on THAT frame...with its wierd VPP rate variation (personally I dont ride one on any bike as I think they feel like crap).

Wheels. Mavic hubs are so-so at best...24 proprietary alumiminum spokes, machined out rims. I could see one in front.

Tall Mag pedals with ti spindles and a rider weight limit....another recipe for walking home if there are any rocks around.

The saddle. Sitting on it may be fine, but fast rough off camber turns call for inner thigh-seat contact something that will become painful on long days of lift service.

Then there is the frame itself... again a nice part, but not a DH frame IMO. Too tall, short and steep and flexible to be classed as a true DH frame.

It is a nice bike for sure, but there are some serious comprimises made (like most of the bikes posted in this thread) that IMO would make it less reliable and lower performance (and more expensive) than I would allow in any DH bike I owned...I guess it really depends on how you define 'DH bike'.
too funny, I should let Bryan come here and defend his bike but I think he's still at work.

Cranks, been on that bike ridden daily for at least a year.
Pedals, same as cranks
Saddle, same as cranks and pedals.
Shock, well that seems like personal taste to me.

Wheels, I'll post a couple of pictures from a week ago in a few.

the second shot is a 12+' drop. I don't see much of that terrain on my local xc rides.

Frame, well he rode and raced it all last year as a downhill bike, stood on the top podium box on the roughest DH track in BC. I wouldn't say it's holding him back too much.

His build on the Socom ranges from 31.5 -34 at the heaviest, he can tailor it for the trail. The 31.5 is an experiment, but the parts have already been put through their paces.

Last edited:

HighMinion

Chimp
Dec 4, 2007
I've been following it on NSMB and I keep trying to figure out where I'm out almost 1.5 pounds.....and I'm even running SP tires.

ape

Chimp
Jan 15, 2007
This is kinda funny. He is running lightweight parts but Bryan he goes large and he is pretty ****in' smooth. Unless he has been swapping out cranks every month he has been on most of those parts for a full season and for him that's probably over 500k vertical feet of riding a season. On NSMB, he admits he's not sure if he'd run that configuration on a really rough DH but for some of the smoother more pedally dh tracks we have around here it would probably be more than durable.

Last edited:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Nice. Is that a 1000cc?

I rode my dad's 600cc (Jason Pridmore's old bike IIRC) around the block - it's crazy fast compared to my 1978 Kawasaki 650! Not street legal in the slightest so I could only go so far, I'd love to take it on a track some time though.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Nice. Is that a 1000cc?

I rode my dad's 600cc (Jason Pridmore's old bike IIRC) around the block - it's crazy fast compared to my 1978 Kawasaki 650! Not street legal in the slightest so I could only go so far, I'd love to take it on a track some time though.
Yeah its a 1000cc, did a PC III fuel map system, -1 front tooth, K&N filter Micheline 2ct tires, Got a backer for exhaust (full system) and planning on running a few track days then racing.
It will make a good addition to DH/FR (not nearly as much fun as mtn bikes)..:huh:

Getting new rear sets, short throw levers, ignition system, smog blocks, marchini wheels and track tires then off to race tech to have the suspension dialed. (spare set of race fairings with 1 peice lowers)

Last edited:

slowmtb

Monkey
Aug 17, 2008
ChurChur, NZ
Have a read.
http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=119454

That bike is the real deal. The wheel set is what makes the bike ridiculously low in weight, but then again, so would a set of Stans Flows on Hope hubs.

The right parts mix and a low weight frame (SOCOM) and you have a super light DH bike.

That comment by RayB.....unless you are being sarcastic is pure ignorance.
That rig sure is light. I lost 2kg ( 4.4lb ) off my '08 IH 7pt7 just by fitting UST and DeeMax so with the spec it is plausible. Does seem just a touch light though, maybe by a pound or two. Those scales correct?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Just curious, do you consider rider weight too? I think there are many factors that influence if you can get away riding light DH bikes. Being, smooth, light and racing the right tracks are some.
The only points I think you have are the air shock (which is preference) and wheels. The wheels are supposed to be pretty strong and I know some guys riding them hard on their 6" FR/mini DH bikes. However they are not crashworthy. But like it was said, a Stan's/Hope/Super Comp setup would get you in the same weight range and people on here used them with good results.

IMO,

It is a nice bike for sure, but there are some serious comprimises made (like most of the bikes posted in this thread) that IMO would make it less reliable and lower performance (and more expensive) than I would allow in any DH bike I owned...I guess it really depends on how you define 'DH bike'.

partswhore

Chimp
Jan 6, 2008
Please elaborate as I don't see how that bike doesn't stack up as a "DH" bike. Compared to other frames out there. The V-10 is taller, steeper and shorter and won the world cup title last year...

If you mean crash worthy well I couldn't agree more as they are super prone to denting.

connor

Chimp
Mar 7, 2008
Please elaborate as I don't see how that bike doesn't stack up as a "DH" bike. Compared to other frames out there. The V-10 is taller, steeper and shorter and won the world cup title last year...

If you mean crash worthy well I couldn't agree more as they are super prone to denting.
at least they don't come with free Bondo.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB

The V-10 has much more sag, so dynamic geo is slacker and lower. Also, the Socom is known to be pretty flexy in the rear end.

Although I will say that the slacker dropouts or slacker headset cups probably make the Socom a pretty capable DH bike.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
The V-10 has much more sag, so static geo is slacker and lower. Also, the Socom is known to be pretty flexy in the rear end.

Although I will say that the slacker dropouts or slacker headset cups probably make the Socom a pretty capable DH bike.
That's dynamic geo there engineer boy :brow:

The Socom is just too damn flexy in the back and too steep with not enough sag. Get the slacker dropouts and you have a sorta legit DH noodle.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
That's dynamic geo there engineer boy :brow:

The Socom is just too damn flexy in the back and too steep with not enough sag. Get the slacker dropouts and you have a sorta legit DH noodle.

Oops. :brow: That's what happens when I play armchair engineer for too long...

BTW I got my Morewood mostly built up, once school is done I should have a lot more time to ride, I'll PM you or vice versa. [/derailment]

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
I wouldn't say no to that SOCOM but at the same time I think I'd want a little more weight in the right places: coil over and some heavier duty wheels. And of course some slacker drop outs.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
too funny, I should let Bryan come here and defend his bike but I think he's still at work.

Cranks, been on that bike ridden daily for at least a year.
Pedals, same as cranks
Saddle, same as cranks and pedals.
Shock, well that seems like personal taste to me.

Wheels, I'll post a couple of pictures from a week ago in a few.

the second shot is a 12+' drop. I don't see much of that terrain on my local xc rides.

Frame, well he rode and raced it all last year as a downhill bike, stood on the top podium box on the roughest DH track in BC. I wouldn't say it's holding him back too much.

His build on the Socom ranges from 31.5 -34 at the heaviest, he can tailor it for the trail. The 31.5 is an experiment, but the parts have already been put through their paces.

Thank you for adding the explination/justification point to my post in picture form...and also showing the variance in what differing people consider 'DH'.
If anyone had not noticed, the rider is on a bike with a 160mm fork....what the bike community considers to be AM. Showing/proving that said rider can make these same technical features on a short travel steep angle bike, does nothing to prove your assertion that the original bike is indeed a 'DH' bike because the rider rides on said stunts............

You have instead proven that he can ride an overbuild AM bike on terrain the a 'standard' AM bike can be ridden on. You have proven that the original bike is capable of 'AM' riding......

Again, not saying that the bike does not weigh what is claimed, or the owner is not a great rider.....

Last edited:

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Thank you for adding the explination/justification point to my post in picture form...and also showing the variance in what differing people consider 'DH'.
If anyone had not noticed, the rider is on a bike with a 160mm fork....what the bike community considers to be AM. Showing/proving that said rider can make these same technical features on a short travel steep angle bike, does nothing to prove your assertion that the original bike is indeed a 'DH' bike because the rider rides on said stunts............

You have instead proven that he can ride an overbuild AM bike on terrain the a 'standard' AM bike can be ridden on. You have proven that the original bike is capable of 'AM' riding......

Again, not saying that the bike does not weigh what is claimed, or the owner is not a great rider.....

Conservative much?

If Sam Hill rode that exact bike there would be a new wave of 32lb dh bikes under every fanboy, and it would be the greatest dh bike ever. ...The same would go if Dave Weagle pieced the bike together.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Conservative much?

If Sam Hill rode that exact bike there would be a new wave of 32lb dh bikes under every fanboy, and it would be the greatest dh bike ever. ...The same would go if Dave Weagle pieced the bike together.
I'm not Davep, but I sure don't think that's the way that he or many others on this board operate...

Anyways, it's well-known that Hill's bike isn't too far under 40#, and Gee Atherton's Commencal is over 40 if I'm not mistaken.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I'm not Davep, but I sure don't think that's the way that he or many others on this board operate...

Anyways, it's well-known that Hill's bike isn't too far under 40#, and Gee Atherton's Commencal is over 40 if I'm not mistaken.
Other than shock preference, there isn't anything 'non-DH' on that bike though. Especially if you are fairly light. There are a lot of 200+ pound guys riding Socoms, Boxxers, and XT cranks without fail. The bike is fairly standard, except that whereas a lot of people pick and choose a few of the light weight parts, that bike uses most all of them.

People are scared of the Socom because of the low weight, but I've been riding one for 2 years and have weighed over 200 lbs since I got it. To be honest, I don't even notice the flex in the rear when I'm riding it. I steer from the front and the rear mostly just follows. The parking lot flex test is real obvious, but it doesn't make any noticeable difference to me when I'm riding.

It probably wouldn't be my first choice as a resort bike, but I would definitely race it and wouldn't hesitate having that build as my DH bike where I am now since there isn't a lift nearby.

Last edited:

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
I didn't mean to start a flame war with my half-jest-half-serious 'XC bike' comment. Nor a debate over "what's more DH-worthy?" (isn't this thread supposed to be about pictures??)

So, to the owner of that SOCOM, I'm sorry if you took offense.

Don't get me wrong, that bike is sick. I've seen/built quite a few SOCOM's over the past couple years and that's definitely the coolest I've heard/read about. It's interesting to see people push the envelope as far as weight is concerned -- and I think anybody who's ever clicked on this thread is guilty of being a weight weenie (to some degree). If the bike is holds up to the sort of abuse you can (or want to) put it through, then roll with it. Don't let the dorks/bike-snobs on the interwebz get to ya... ;)

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
for what it's worth, i believe those pics were presented as more of an indication of the kind of riding the crossmax wheels could hold up to. they're typically bolted to bryon's ss, and the 31# socom build was more of a 'how low can you go' experiment - he's admitted he probably wouldn't race dh w/ this config. however, i think it's a totally viable fr rig (under the right person / conditions), and as a proof of concept, i think its totally amazing.

squabbling is silly anyways. nowhere in this thread is there a stipulation that all bikes posted must be capable of surviving a wc dh under nathan rennie. what works for some, doesn't work for all. the nature of dh weight weenie-ism (really the core of threads like this) is pushing the weight to strength ratio - for your particular requirements. as such, we're naturally going to see a wide range of builds, and that's totally cool. lots of great bikes on these threads regardless of what the scales indicate.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004

The pictures were examples of the abuse that particular wheelset could take, even on a bike with far less travel.

The Socom is ridden as a DH bike, fast, hard and hits everything. And that's BC terrain, not some path in a park. It took him to a podium twice last year, and likely a few more this year.

It's pretty bold stating what kind of riding the bike is subjected to when you have no idea.

mr_fungle

Chimp
Jun 26, 2002
vancouver, bc
You guys are funny and obviously don't know the type of riding Bryan does. While the build is totally legit, he has already stated that he most likely will not run it much in this configuration.

For fun, I'll throw my VP Free in the mix - 38 lbs 6 oz - 38.375 lbs.

It's been the same since mid last season. It currently has xc tubes front and back - as soon as the rear rim buckles it will be replaced with a 729 and stans, so that'll probably add some weight.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Conservative much?

Well given the current technological possibilities they wouldn't so I don't see any reason why you are suggesting a conection between some ppl here and fanboys.

It would be closer to a dh bike with a regular wheels but I really don't see the idea behind this experiment. Building a bike with a setup that will be rarely used. If the bike is build just to show of why not just go full AM on it and spec it with all am parts (or just build an am bike and ride it like an am bike and have a separate dh bike that can take dh riding and crashing that will occur if you want to progress and aren't extra lucky)

ape

Chimp
Jan 15, 2007
It would be closer to a dh bike with a regular wheels but I really don't see the idea behind this experiment. Building a bike with a setup that will be rarely used. If the bike is build just to show of why not just go full AM on it and spec it with all am parts (or just build an am bike and ride it like an am bike and have a separate dh bike that can take dh riding and crashing that will occur if you want to progress and aren't extra lucky)
If this wasn't a weight weenie thread that would make perfect sense and I think everyone would agree with you but its not so bring on the delicious carbon and Ti.

Specifically about that build. I think the experiment was built because he could so why the hell not. He could race that rig at Sea Otter and a few of the local races we have that are on smoother trails with no problem whatsoever. As for progressing...Is there a higher spot than 1st at races in the States?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
bringing on the delicious carbon & ti... finally got a scale snap of this old beast (36.6#; sorry for the crap pic). only concession to 'dh race worthiness' would be the big betty's (though i could hit the same weight w/ a tubeless dual ply setup):

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
That is IMO the best DH build I have ever seen. It's still a shame about Lahar. Hopefully that new bike from NZ will be similar or better.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
It really depends how hard/fast you ride hey. I think Ian Collins on here bent those gravity lights without hitting anything (correct me if I'm wrong) and on the off chance you do clip something they bend fairly easy. I have a pair on my spare DH bike, but my race bike has saints on it because I hate bending cranks.

Same story with brakes, the ultimates *work* but switch to something like the new saints and it's ridiculous how much later you can brake and how much less you have to drag (leaving you less tired towards the end of long runs, and less issues with fade/glazing too).

Anyone can build a 32-35lb bike (I've gone pretty crazy with weight in the past too), and props to them if their riding allows them to get away with that. But if all you're trying to do is go as fast as you can, then dual ply tyres, thick(er) tubes, wide bars, and good brakes make life a lot easier. I'm the first to admit I learnt slowly. :)

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
It really depends how hard/fast you ride hey. I think Ian Collins on here bent those gravity lights without hitting anything (correct me if I'm wrong) and on the off chance you do clip something they bend fairly easy. I have a pair on my spare DH bike, but my race bike has saints on it because I hate bending cranks.

then dual ply tyres, thick(er) tubes, wide bars, and good brakes make life a lot easier. I'm the first to admit I learnt slowly. :)
Agreed. Clipped mine on a rock on a trail I've ridden hundreds of times, bent, and they were done.

thicker tubes? I haven't heard that one. I don't really pinch maxxis DP ever, and I don't really notice the differences other then that the heavier tubes accelerate slower.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
As for progressing...Is there a higher spot than 1st at races in the States?
I hope you aren't suggesting you can't ride better after hiting the US podium. ;) Well actualy after any podium.

About thicker tubes - makes no sense imho even for the biggest hacks. Just use stans/joes etc. on lighter tubes and you won't flat anyway.

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Disregarding the opinion many people hold about Aaron - thats still an amazing looking bike, i think it will continue to look 'current' for many years too, which cant be said about many designs.

Nice build too.

Rick

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I have ridden both, regular and slacker DOs. And while they make a difference I don't think they change the bike from "XC-AM" to "legit DH geometry". If you can't ride the Socom fast with the regular dropouts than it might have more to do with skills than the bike! And if the flex is bothering you, either lose some weight or buy a burlier bike, but stop badmouthing a bike that is ridden an raced succesfully by quite a few people!