Quantcast

40lb post! DH/FR Rigs around the 40lb mark! tips, pics, specs

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
Middlebur cranks are also made in 165mm, only in silver though, and they are supposed to have warranty to be used for dh, 4x and so on..

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Anyone actually want to look at the actual weights or warranty with these 'uber cranks'....or should we just stay with typical internet postings and limit this to e-pinions??

Read their warranty. It pretty much excludes anything that would go wrong with a crank arm " *Warranty excludes tapers, splines and threads. ".

It is only the beefier RS7s that have any warranty at all for hard use. The RS8s are not warrantied at all for jumping/DH/4X/competetive use.

Middleburn also has no real ditribution network in the US...so warranty issues would need to go back to the UK.

About the weights...165mm RS7s with a spider (no bb, no rings, etc) are about 500g. For a Dh application (since were are after all in the DH forum) a proper 83mm ISIS BB will run about 300g.

New 83mm saint 170mm crank arms with BB (no rings) is right around 850g Atlas FR in 83mm with BB are 828g.

So for a whopping 30g penalty, you get a better BB/interface and proper mfg support (in all other than the UK).

For a absolutely deal breaking 50g, you get a WAY better BB/interface steel pedal inserts, and backing by the largest bike mfg with the most expansive distribution network in the biz....

Want to play the same game with a 73mm ISIS BB.... then start comparing to XT, SLX, and Gravity lights.....

are middleburn nicely made..YES! Do they seem to hold up well for most users..YES! Are they outdated in the interface and construction methods...YES!

FACTS PEOPLE, lets stick to the FACTS.....

Last edited:

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
The middleburns are still a nice crank, the quality of the alloy used is second to none. Also, there is nothing wrong with the isis interface. Infact it is still largely used by trials riders who can put their bikes through hell and back. I still like the skinny look too...

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
SKF bottom brackets last forever compared to most manufacturers, even with the small bearings that come with using an isis interface, so that isn't a problem...A 73mm skf isis b weighs 295g

Also the amount of drag in an outboard bearing crank compare to a conventional bb is quite high.

Not saying that middleburns are better than saint etc but they are definitely an option worth looking at and not to be dismissed for using 'old' technology

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
whatever...I run them both on my Blur LT2 and on my Demo and I'm happy with them...no need for nothing else flashierr

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
ISIS was a quick stop on the fail train.

Its not about flashy, its about something that works. If it works for you, then you're set. Ive wrecked every ISIS BB I had within a month of installing it at the outside. It was better than shearing tapered BB's, but not enough so to not get abandoned by most Mfrs in a hurry!

GTPjon

Chimp
Nov 5, 2009
UK
Anyone actually want to look at the actual weights or warranty with these 'uber cranks'....or should we just stay with typical internet postings and limit this to e-pinions??

FACTS PEOPLE, lets stick to the FACTS.....
Right then, facts it is...

Read their warranty. It pretty much excludes anything that would go wrong with a crank arm " *Warranty excludes tapers, splines and threads. ".
I think you'll find that if you manage to bugger up any of these, odds on something has come loose, which generally means it's your fault. I know ISIS isn't great, and does sometimes work loose, but generally it's stuff like people not doing up their pedals. I think you'll also find that Middleburn are pretty good at doing cheap replacements even if it is your fault - can't see Shimano matching that.

It is only the beefier RS7s that have any warranty at all for hard use. The RS8s are not warrantied at all for jumping/DH/4X/competetive use.
Er, the RS8s are RS7s with extra machining for reduced weight and were designed exclusively for XC use, not DH lunacy. Sounds like a pretty reasonable explanation to me.

Middleburn also has no real ditribution network in the US...so warranty issues would need to go back to the UK.
True dat. Hopefully someone will pick them up for proper support soon!

About the weights...165mm RS7s with a spider (no bb, no rings, etc) are about 500g. For a Dh application (since were are after all in the DH forum) a proper 83mm ISIS BB will run about 300g.

New 83mm saint 170mm crank arms with BB (no rings) is right around 850g Atlas FR in 83mm with BB are 828g.

So for a whopping 30g penalty, you get a better BB/interface and proper mfg support (in all other than the UK).
Also true - my 165mm Mk2 Saints are 750g for arms and axle. However, the new through axle cranks should be a good bit lighter, and you get to use a proper BB again. Can't wait!

Want to play the same game with a 73mm ISIS BB.... then start comparing to XT, SLX, and Gravity lights.....
Why? Saints come in 73mm as well you know.

are middleburn nicely made..YES! Do they seem to hold up well for most users..YES! Are they outdated in the interface and construction methods...YES!
Are they about to release a proper crank as well...? YES!

[/RANT]

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Middleburn. The only company in the world with a concept to market product timeline longer than Chris King...

GTPjon

Chimp
Nov 5, 2009
UK
Middleburn. The only company in the world with a concept to market product timeline longer than Chris King...
Struggling to think of anyone else... no, I reckon you're right. Although I think Hope's seatpost deserves an honouralbe mention.

yetihenry

Monkey
Aug 9, 2009
Whistler, BC
Im third year, so this isnt my dorm room, just digs in our student squat. Still means little place to store the bike, and if I want to do anything the bike is on the bed. This was my dorm room, and this was the dorm. Also had the ultimate student set up last year

Last edited:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Im third year, so this isnt my dorm room, just digs in our student squat. Still means little place to store the bike, and if I want to do anything the bike is on the bed. This was my dorm room, and this was the dorm. Also had the ultimate student set up last year

By the fourth year, you may learn that you cannot link private password protected photos on a public forum...

But that may depend on the the quality of your education and the particular curriculum...