Quantcast

Avalanche boxxer upgrade kit out! Will fit majority of forks!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
So back to the Totem kits, are they in production yet? Any idea on a shipping date?
Tubes and caps are in this week (end of week) eta....And yeah all should be ready to go for the totems....

I am running a full 200mm tube on mine so my oil height is a little higher than what the full production unit will be and progressive ramping was a concern. With the 40mm stanchions it doesnt ramp harsh at all and allowed for the tuning to get dialed in. So the 180mm tubes and 160mm tubes for the shorter single crowns will be the full production items and they are literally supposed to be on the avalanche doorstep this week.

So single crowns (totems, 66s etc) are ready for full production runs... 200mm tube and shaft to change your cartridge to a 200mm so you can still use your parts in a dual crown as well...
Its all intercgangeable with tube/shaft/adapters (for the forks)... Pretty danm nice.....

vtachy

Chimp
Mar 9, 2008
Sorry to re-direct, but I've got a 2010 Boxxer Race and want to upgrade it, primarily to eliminate the fork's stiffness (I'm 160 pounds with gear, and am using the yellow spring). I don't know if I want to go all-in for a cartridge, especially since it won't give me the opportunity to externally adjust hsc/hsr. Is it possible just to have mid-valving done, and maybe replace the stock oil with synthetic oil?

Oct 14, 2001
Colchester, Ct
Sorry to re-direct, but I've got a 2010 Boxxer Race and want to upgrade it, primarily to eliminate the fork's stiffness (I'm 160 pounds with gear, and am using the yellow spring). I don't know if I want to go all-in for a cartridge, especially since it won't give me the opportunity to externally adjust hsc/hsr. Is it possible just to have mid-valving done, and maybe replace the stock oil with synthetic oil?
Sorry it is not possible to just have the midvalve done. Changing the oil will have very little affect,a lighter oil might make the compression softer at low speed with a resulting decrease in rebound damping. Adjusting the high speed compression and rebound is best done by changing the shim stack internally, when it is done externally it compromises the way the shims deflect, depending on where the pressure is applied to the shim stack with the adjuster. We choose to not affect the performance of the damping and let the shims deflect according to the stack arrangement and stiffness. The user can revalve the damper to achieve the desired damping much more effectively than using external adjustment spring pressure.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Nice. Are you testing now something different than Avy? I notice I.S.O stickers but can't remember what it was.

Still waiting for my cart - customs hires industrial grade idiots.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Nice. Are you testing now something different than Avy? I notice I.S.O stickers but can't remember what it was.

Still waiting for my cart - customs hires industrial grade idiots.
Nope...I needed new decals and was too lazy to make templates... drake had em so I grabbed them to scan and trace. I will have custom ones with avalanche on em ....

Nope its all AVALANCHE INSIDE.....

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
any word on the DHX upgraydd?
I assume springtime. If there's been enough Intrest then it should happen.

The 180mm and 160mm tubes came in for the singlecrown stuff 2 weeks ago so totem carts and the production 66 carts are rolling out right now. Craig also has lighter internals then what I have on my stuff so the boxxer weight will go down some as well as the whole cart assemblies are now lighter he shaved weight in a couple of spots....

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I assume springtime. If there's been enough Intrest then it should happen.

The 180mm and 160mm tubes came in for the singlecrown stuff 2 weeks ago so totem carts and the production 66 carts are rolling out right now. Craig also has lighter internals then what I have on my stuff so the boxxer weight will go down some as well as the whole cart assemblies are now lighter he shaved weight in a couple of spots....
Why would he do that? Isn't the chart light enough? I went with avy not only for the damping but also because I assumed it will be more bombproof than stock boxxer internals. If only the customs morons stopped delaying my delivery.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Why would he do that? Isn't the chart light enough? I went with avy not only for the damping but also because I assumed it will be more bombproof than stock boxxer internals. If only the customs morons stopped delaying my delivery.
If you ordered recently then you have the newer stuff....Its replacing heavy brass peices with aluminum etc... It shaves 20-30g here and there and all without being any damping parts so no problem....

RELIABILITY will not be effected, come on its Craig we're talking about... LOL :thumb:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
If you ordered recently then you have the newer stuff....Its replacing heavy brass peices with aluminum etc... It shaves 20-30g here and there and all without being any damping parts so no problem....

RELIABILITY will not be effected, come on its Craig we're talking about... LOL :thumb:
You should start with that info. I belive in Craig but the current bike market makes people crazy.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I got my cart in December, is it s newer one or the older?
Dont know that there was a definitive date rather Craig started swapping them as he had them ready to go so it was a gradual. The one in the boxxer is an original Ive been running it since day one... So I know mine are original...
Doesnt bother me at all the things work phenominal....:thumb:

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
30gram doesnt matter :)

strange it is only 3 pre orders for DHX, I think it is much more people who are prepared to get ava tuning with dhx

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
30gram doesnt matter :)

strange it is only 3 pre orders for DHX, I think it is much more people who are prepared to get ava tuning with dhx
I don't think any serious DH riders even run the DHX still. Most people if they do run it send it to push.
I work at a large shop in NYC and none of them knew about Avalanche. Granted most of them ride those skinny wheeled thingys but even the few alleged hardcore mtb'rs were not familiar with Craig's tuning skills.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
the community that rides DHXs is certainly dwindling, and I imagine most people interested in custom tunes send theirs to PUSH without considering AVY. I would LOVE to have an AVY tune on my DHX, but I've seen too many people get burned by "pre-orders" or "group buys" before to allow my money to sit around with anybody besides my sh.tty bank.

RogerH

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Sweden
I really hope the DHX-tune will materialize. My frame (-08 DHR) does not clear the regular ava-piggyback shocks... I sent my pre-order during the new-years. A little late, I know. But it would be nice if they where available before the season starts (May).

I have had my shock serviced and had the Push-valve fitted by TF-tuned. I asked for more low-speed compression, but the improvement I noticed was pretty small. Maybe they where low on shims that day..

But I think I would rather have the Hi/low-speed external adjuster Craig has made. If it works, I assume i does!

Tomasis, Have you received/installed your cartridge, yet? Once the DH season is here, you can try my bike too see if you want the additional midvale shimzz!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
hey bullcrew, seen this?

is there a shortage of 2010 888 adapters right now?
Its the Ti version 888 and 66 ONLY that have the issues right now, regular version are good to go...

Yeah the Id on the silver nicle stanchions is around 2mm bigger (inside) than the black, the nicle coating makes it harder so they can get away with less material. The oil lock ring has a hard time with the almost non existant lip to rest against. The stanchions are really thin so theres a concern with flex or rubbing and some part hangs up on another due to the flex.
Hes had the issue with a couple of the 888 tis hes tried and hes trying to remedy it but at this point the 66 ti and the 888 ti 10 and newer are not available.

Just for the book as well a 888 or 66 Ti spring will not work effectivley in a regualar model it rubs and scores the stanchions and the regular sping in a ti stanchion bounces around to freeley.....

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
Tomasis, Have you received/installed your cartridge, yet? Once the DH season is here, you can try my bike too see if you want the additional midvale shimzz!
Yup everything is bought, I got cartridge just after New Year. I just need get thumb out my ass and start use sandpaper on lowers and paint, etc.

Im sure I want to have midvalve kit and have ordered it yesterday :thumb: I guess fork diving is not fun.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
I don't think any serious DH riders even run the DHX still. Most people if they do run it send it to push.
I work at a large shop in NYC and none of them knew about Avalanche. Granted most of them ride those skinny wheeled thingys but even the few alleged hardcore mtb'rs were not familiar with Craig's tuning skills.
Yup, right. I shoud reformulate my post with "people are prepared to buy a good custom-tuned shock" :D

The word needs be spread around.

Im tempted for AVA tuned Marzocchi Roco WC for my sunday. Something to think about later in future. Stock RS Vivid 5.1 feels like old cheese. :D

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Its the Ti version 888 and 66 ONLY that have the issues right now, regular version are good to go...

Yeah the Id on the silver nicle stanchions is around 2mm bigger (inside) than the black, the nicle coating makes it harder so they can get away with less material. The oil lock ring has a hard time with the almost non existant lip to rest against. The stanchions are really thin so theres a concern with flex or rubbing and some part hangs up on another due to the flex.
Hes had the issue with a couple of the 888 tis hes tried and hes trying to remedy it but at this point the 66 ti and the 888 ti 10 and newer are not available.

Just for the book as well a 888 or 66 Ti spring will not work effectivley in a regualar model it rubs and scores the stanchions and the regular sping in a ti stanchion bounces around to freeley.....
hm should i be concerned now having already one in this configuration?

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
the community that rides DHXs is certainly dwindling, and I imagine most people interested in custom tunes send theirs to PUSH without considering AVY. I would LOVE to have an AVY tune on my DHX, but I've seen too many people get burned by "pre-orders" or "group buys" before to allow my money to sit around with anybody besides my sh.tty bank.
At the same Id rather run a RC4 on my Sunday but I really dont want to mod the link and have it fail and have to spend bank to replace it with the BOS or equivalent link. Ive had my tune preordered since September and to be honest I really dont think itll ever happens.

Luckily I just got my hands on a V-10 so my Sunday has its days numbered anyways. Im prob just going to dremel out that stability bridge in the link and throw an RC4 on it anyways now just to see what happens.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
At the same Id rather run a RC4 on my Sunday but I really dont want to mod the link and have it fail and have to spend bank to replace it with the BOS or equivalent link. Ive had my tune preordered since September and to be honest I really dont think itll ever happens.

Luckily I just got my hands on a V-10 so my Sunday has its days numbered anyways. Im prob just going to dremel out that stability bridge in the link and throw an RC4 on it anyways now just to see what happens.
The RC4 isn't much better, you are better off with an Elka, Rocco WC, Avy tuned Swinger

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
My problem with the RC4 is whether it's worth switching to an off-the-shelf shock, or having the old crusty one custom tuned. I would think that having one that may be less adjustable but custom tuned would be better than one that's got moar knobz.

Then again, I can't really afford an RC4 AND a custom tune....and I was actually starting to get pretty comfortable with the relatively stock DHX once I had a firmer spring rate.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
The RC4 isn't much better, you are better off with an Elka, Rocco WC, Avy tuned Swinger
Rocco WC is crap imho. The ones I tried felt dead. Rc4 is on par with elka and without the issues. Not to mention it's progressive = perfect for a sunday.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
hm should i be concerned now having already one in this configuration?
Spring or cart?????
if its a cart and its good then I wouldn't be concerned... I know craig had a couple 888ti's with some items he's addressing.

If its a ti spring just check to make sure its not scoring the wall...thats direct from MARZOCCHI......they aren't or rather not recomended for swapping into one another.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Just got an Email from Craig that my damper has been posted, my bike should be perfect by the time I can ride.:D

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Just got mine. First impressions - super fluid and perfect under heavy pedaling but it needs a bit more support in the initial travel. Will need to play with LSC, solo air pressure and oil levels. Still Im suprised how frictionless my boxxer feels now ;)

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I need to ride it on a proper track first. DJ and trailbike sessions during the winter obscure my view of dh bike pop. I have to say the rear also felt soft and I weight maybe 2lbs more. ;)