Quantcast

Campers

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
So I had a break in the weather and decided to tackle the front receiver install. The receiver is a Curt 31018 specific to the F350 4x4, My 2011 fits the model yr range of this product. I watched the online video and it made the install look easy, It was. Start to finish took less than an hour. Fishing the bolts through the frame was a piece of cake using the supplied hardware. The biggest pain in the but is that without a life or putting the truck on ramps or jack stands it was really hard to get leverage on my big torque wrench and crank the bolts to 110/ft pounds. my shoulders and arms got a work out

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
IMG_20190109_161811.jpg

All I need now is construction materials and insulation. My seat pedestals get here tomorrow. Everything else is in the front room we don't use.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Which box has the Pizza Oven in it?
If only. The box with the seat on it is a 21" oven with 3 top burners. The front is 9500btu, the rears are 6500btu. I need to order the bifold cover.

I also still need my propane tank and exhaust vent fan. Ugh.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
So I had a break in the weather and decided to tackle the front receiver install. The receiver is a Curt 31018 specific to the F350 4x4, My 2011 fits the model yr range of this product. I watched the online video and it made the install look easy, It was. Start to finish took less than an hour. Fishing the bolts through the frame was a piece of cake using the supplied hardware. The biggest pain in the but is that without a life or putting the truck on ramps or jack stands it was really hard to get leverage on my big torque wrench and crank the bolts to 110/ft pounds. my shoulders and arms got a work out

Pardon my ignorance but what's going on with your hubcaps? Going full Yul Brinner?

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Pardon my ignorance but what's going on with your hubcaps? Going full Yul Brinner?
Bought the truck used out of Texas. covered in redneck chrome, It came with chromed steel spiked lugnuts. Full on MAD MAX. they will shred steel and flesh. Wifey liked em so they stayed, then she got vanity plates for it that reads MADMAXY

the actual cap is just the center part by the spikes. the rest is aluminum front dually rim.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Someone a few blocks down from me has a Winnebago Revel 4x4. Looks nice for two people. Too small for my family, though.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
The word "diesel" gives me nocturnal sweats.
One of the things that put me off getting a Sprinter 4x4, that and the lead times here.

Glad we got a gas truck instead, need to hurry up and get the camper though...

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
48# seat pedestal with zero wobble and Alcantara wheel for easy access. Not a fan of the swivel one I got the wife, so the hunt continues.
IMG_20190113_135329.jpg

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Spent a lot of time yesterday talking to the solar folks and there has been a change. I am returning the range (GFF convinced me it was too big) and mini fridge and am getting a 5 cuft 3 way fridge.

Also not using the heat pump due to power needs. I expanded the solar to 400w and ordered a second 200ah battery. Using a 12v wall heater, will figure out cooling needs later.

Ordered the 170A alternator and got a 200A isolator vs the 160A I originally got. Lots of trial and error, but I haven't mounted anything yet.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
JD look at this Coleman AC that can run just using a single Honda/ yamaha 2200 generator

https://www.airxcel.com/coleman-mach/products/air-conditioners/ultra-low-profile/mach-8/mach-8-cub
I know I will end up running a generator, I am just making it the last thing. The heat pump I want would run no issues off a 2k gen.

Looking at your front mount, I was thinking I could build a box off my rear bumper and secure it there, or a hitch would also work off the back.

After spending a grand on the fridge (1000% over budget), I need to let the bank account breathe.

For those keeping track:
$8500 spent to date (+/-$100)
$3300 left on the list 'o crap to buy still

If I can do this thing right for less than $15k I feel like I will have won. North of $18k and it was a losing venture.

Spent a lot of time yesterday talking to the solar folks and there has been a change. I am returning the range (GFF convinced me it was too big) and mini fridge and am getting a 5 cuft 3 way fridge.

Also not using the heat pump due to power needs. I expanded the solar to 400w and ordered a second 200ah battery. Using a 12v wall heater, will figure out cooling needs later.

Ordered the 170A alternator and got a 200A isolator vs the 160A I originally got. Lots of trial and error, but I haven't mounted anything yet.
Real world starts to set in!

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Holy hell, so the 3 way might be out. I didn't know the 120v)12v 2 way is more efficient on 12v than the 3 way by a lot. So I will take the 5 cuft 3 way back and get the 4.2 cuft 2 way instead.

The 3 way burns forever on gas, but draws 18A on 12v vs the 2 way only pulling 3.8A. While gas as an option would be nice, less than a 4A draw would be minimal even without much sun.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Why would they be so different? Are you comparing apples to apples, or very different models/sizes or something?

Having a 3-way fridge is really great off grid. My van has a dedicated 5-gallon propane tank on board for the fridge and 2-burner stove. It's super nice to know the food will be cold and that we can cook regardless of any power issues. That said, if you're gonna have a generator, 2-way might be fine for you. (I don't have (or want) a generator on board.)

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
12v only with Danfoss compressor is the way to go. Add insulation to the fridge cabinet, it helps a lot. With a good amount of solar and alternator charging I don't see the use for a generator, unless you like to annoy the crap out of other campers. ;)

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Why would they be so different? Are you comparing apples to apples, or very different models/sizes or something?

Having a 3-way fridge is really great off grid. My van has a dedicated 5-gallon propane tank on board for the fridge and 2-burner stove. It's super nice to know the food will be cold and that we can cook regardless of any power issues. That said, if you're gonna have a generator, 2-way might be fine for you. (I don't have (or want) a generator on board.)
It has to do with the compressor and propane burner. The electric only take up less space and the compressor uses WAY less electric. I thought the 2 and 3 were essentially the same, but the refrigeration method is actually quite different.

Also a 12v fridge can be up to a 30 degree angle vs having to be level to function.

It has to do with the compressor and propane burner. The electric only take up less space and the compressor uses WAY less electric. I thought the 2 and 3 were essentially the same, but the refrigeration method is actually quite different.

Also a 12v fridge can be up to a 30 degree angle vs having to be level to function.
Let's clarify that.

The difference is not the driving voltage, it's compressor vs absorption refrigeration.