Quantcast

Campers

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If you are on a tight budget. Look at https://www.truckfridge.com/
The budget kinda went out the window a little, but even with the latest changes, it still ends up looking cheaper than a newish truck and trailer.

Panther RV is only 20 minutes from my office and has pretty good prices. A return means a 15% restock fee vs an exchange and I don't have to pay shipping, so that is a bonus.

Here is what I am getting next Friday. It's $1150

http://www.vitrifrigo.com/us/us/c115ixd4-f-internal-cooling-unit

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I got the front passenger side apart, the hubs I got were supposed to have bearings pressed didn't and my front hoses are shot. NAPA gets my hoses tomorrow, I hope to have the passenger side done. I have Monday off, might get both done now that I have an idea of what I am doing.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I got the front passenger side apart, the hubs I got were supposed to have bearings pressed didn't and my front hoses are shot. NAPA gets my hoses tomorrow, I hope to have the passenger side done. I have Monday off, might get both done now that I have an idea of what I am doing.
Very good.. Very Good... Evil plan coming along nicely... You can take pictures of that. We would look at them and share in your righteous duty.... I was only kidding about the Blower, Spoiler, and Wheelie Bars.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
IMG_20190121_092813.jpg
IMG_20190120_145417.jpg

New KYB shocks, new hub/rotor assembly, new bearings, new calipers and new rubber brake lines. I pick up my new dust caps on the way home tonight.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So the only thing holding the caliper is a metal plate with spring that slides in under it and is held in place with a 1/4 Allen. Tapping it out with a punch and hammer was easu. But the caliper has to be aligned just right and you have to get the plate with spring started before tapping it back in place. Thank gawd for YouTube. :rofl:

IMG_20190119_133932.jpg

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Out running around checking on front hitch bot tightness and generator rack approach angle clearance, all seems good. I checked the hitch bolts with a torque wrench and all were still at 110 ft pounds

took the generator apart. cleaned and re-oiled the air filters, changed the oil and spark plug, cleaned the spark arrestor screen and reassembled

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Ok, first major issue. Insurance. If a monkey could help a brother out, I would owe you.

Called Geico who I have currently, no bueno. No policy for conversion. Called USAA, they have "P30 chassis modified to motorhome" as a listed banned vehicle.

Guy on YouTube has a bit about registering a busines and getting commercial insurance. It's registered as a 20' RV with Oregon. WTF?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Ok, first major issue. Insurance. If a monkey could help a brother out, I would owe you.

Called Geico who I have currently, no bueno. No policy for conversion. Called USAA, they have "P30 chassis modified to motorhome" as a listed banned vehicle.

Guy on YouTube has a bit about registering a busines and getting commercial insurance. It's registered as a 20' RV with Oregon. WTF?
Son of a bitch!

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
call a Van conversion shop and ask who they recommend. Or just insure it as a commercial step van and don't mention the RV conversion
This might be my only route, but I registered it as an RV as I had no intention of using it for commercial use. So not sure if I screwed myself there yet or not.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So I might have found an option. Hagerty offered me a "classic truck" policy that covers restoration, upgrades and enhancements documented. Because it's considered a classic, I might be limited to 5k miles a year.

Initial quote was $305/year for a value of $8k (about what I have spent thus far). It's approved, but I am waiting on a call from an underwriter to verify.

It meets the requirements for classic a lot easier than my fake business. But Bman said I could sign it up for Uber and maybe make a buck. :rofl:

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
So I might have found an option. Hagerty offered me a "classic truck" policy that covers restoration, upgrades and enhancements documented. Because it's considered a classic, I might be limited to 5k miles a year.

Initial quote was $305/year for a value of $8k (about what I have spent thus far). It's approved, but I am waiting on a call from an underwriter to verify.

It meets the requirements for classic a lot easier than my fake business. But Bman said I could sign it up for Uber and maybe make a buck. :rofl:
We have those kind of policies up here. But the insured vehicle is prohibited to go onto highways. Might check up on that.

If you go on Sprinter Source website, there is a lot of threads regarding insuring conversions. Might be worth a check.

Hang in there! ;)

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have proof of insurance, it's listed on the card as a P30 1 ton truck, which is accurate. The initial email said an underwriter would be in touch within 1-2 days. Then about an hour later I get "we have issued your policy" with ID cards attached.

The final build out will be less than $15k (might be $12k), so as long as I can get it covered for that plus a little effort, I would be happy with it.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So Frita is pretty legit now. She has tail and brake lights (wiring issues and blown fuse), back up lights (also wired wrong), wipers (new switch and was able to unstick the arms). Got the passenger seat mocked, aluminum shows up next week for mounting.

I need to modify the engine cover for leg room and decided I will move the wall 2" back so I can recline a notch.

Did a major redesign and I couldn't be happier. Buying wood next weekend to start framing. I had ordered 3 more rolls of 1/2" sound deadener and it was 3/8 so they refunded me and I now have about 100sqft of 3/8 to use somewhere :rofl:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
So Frita is pretty legit now. She has tail and brake lights (wiring issues and blown fuse), back up lights (also wired wrong), wipers (new switch and was able to unstick the arms). Got the passenger seat mocked, aluminum shows up next week for mounting.

I need to modify the engine cover for leg room and decided I will move the wall 2" back so I can recline a notch.

Did a major redesign and I couldn't be happier. Buying wood next weekend to start framing. I had ordered 3 more rolls of 1/2" sound deadener and it was 3/8 so they refunded me and I now have about 100sqft of 3/8 to use somewhere :rofl:
Considering those vans are just straight paneled resonance boxes, I’m guessinf you’ll find places to put sound deadening. Don’t forget that that stuff only helps resonant noises and doesn’t do a ton to block sound transmission, you’ll need mass loaded vinyl and foam for that.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Considering those vans are just straight paneled resonance boxes, I’m guessinf you’ll find places to put sound deadening. Don’t forget that that stuff only helps resonant noises and doesn’t do a ton to block sound transmission, you’ll need mass loaded vinyl and foam for that.
He can only drive it 5,000 miles per year so won't have much time to experience the din anyway.

:D

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The stuff I got is 1/2" closed cell foam with adhesive on one side and foil on the other. It's like cushy dynamat. It goes on all outside facing surfaces with an inch of insulation foam board behind it. Then vapor barrier and paneling. It should help keep noise in/out somewhat. It should help keep the temps in check, too (I hope).

The couch came Saturday, that's what started the redesign.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The gas gauge stopped working. I added 5 gallons to see if it would move to no avail.

Ordered a 5 gauge set from Speedway with a dash insert, should be cool. All new senders, yay.