Quantcast

Climate Change...

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Anecdotal: I know of 3 family units either actually moving or seriously talking about moving from CO to SC because "it's affordable".

I could give a shit how affordable it is, I'm not moving anywhere south of Mason/Dixon.
My parents are in the process of moving back to the valley from Texas because it's cheaper here than in Travis County.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Perhaps I misremember, but didn't you say they were a part of the great cAlIfORniA iS tOo LiBeRaL aNd ExPenSive exodus? What does it cost to buy/sell two houses and to move twice?
They were. My Dad was definitely driving the move, for precisely reasons you mention. My Mom's only requirement was that family was located nearby - which meant the only option was the liberal and expensive Austin area. That didn't work out so well.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
When you start describing how fucked up Texas is with the lack of public lands (as in a lot of trail areas are on pay-for-riding ranches), oppressive climate, lack of big mountains, etc., the residents tell you all about the terrain arround El Paso...except, it's a small part of the state and for 99% of the population, it's a 6-8hr drive at least. Austin was kind of cool for it's in-city trail network...but jesus christ that's just no fun when it's hot, which is most of the year, and then it was hours to get to Austin out of Dallas. I've been to trail networks in Dallas, Austin, Waco and San Antonio...but it just takes forever to get anywhere because any significant terrain is just that far away.

It's like if you lived in Wichita Kansas and going on about how great it is since you are only 8hrs from Colorado Springs.

When you start describing how fucked up Texas is with the lack of public lands (as in a lot of trail areas are on pay-for-riding ranches), oppressive climate, lack of big mountains, etc., the residents tell you all about the terrain arround El Paso...except, it's a small part of the state and for 99% of the population, it's a 6-8hr drive at least. Austin was kind of cool for it's in-city trail network...but jesus christ that's just no fun when it's hot, which is most of the year, and then it was hours to get to Austin out of Dallas. I've been to trail networks in Dallas, Austin, Waco and San Antonio...but it just takes forever to get anywhere because any significant terrain is just that far away.

It's like if you lived in Wichita Kansas and going on about how great it is since you are only 8hrs from Colorado Springs.
I'd be going to El Paso because I was there while in the Army. Interested in the hills and desert and Hueco Tanks, but not primarily in the context of bike riding.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'd be going to El Paso because I was there while in the Army. Interested in the hills and desert and Hueco Tanks, but not primarily in the context of bike riding.
Oh yeah, I had a friend from here stationed there the last few years and there is absolutely legit terrain there. Some good places in NM aren't far away either.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'd really like to visit Big Bend some day.
You should. Be ready for lots and lots of javelinas everywhere tryna get all up in your shit.

You used to able to pay some dudes in a john boat to take you across the river to a little town on the other side. Get lunch. And buy a good amount of peyote buttons.

I spent a week there one summer in college. It probably sucks now but the joint was empty.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
You should. Be ready for lots and lots of javelinas everywhere tryna get all up in your shit.

You used to able to pay some dudes in a john boat to take you across the river to a little town on the other side. Get lunch. And buy a good amount of peyote buttons.

I spent a week there one summer in college. It probably sucks now but the joint was empty.
Terlingua?

My folks lived in Big Bend for a while, my very earliest memory's are of living in that park. My dad loved the country and the people on both sides of the river, but my mom HATED it. We would have moved from their when I was 4 or 5 and I've never been back. Dad had some stories about Terlingua, even in the late 70s it had kind of a rep for being a hangout for some wierder folks, even by desert people standards.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Boquillos maybe? I remember dad talking about some kind of ferry that operated half the year and then the river got so low a pickup could just drive across.
maybe

google earth looks like a much bigger town than where we were, and the town layout doesn't look right, but this is was the 90s

there's also a US and mexican port of entry on both sides of that now

It wasn't a ferry, it was a dude in a tiny aluminum boat waking in waist deep water dragging the thing across with us sitting in it for a few bucks

I guess that's technically a ferry but it wasn't exactly a spot you could drive to. We had to hike in a ways.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Perhaps I misremember, but didn't you say they were a part of the great cAlIfORniA iS tOo LiBeRaL aNd ExPenSive exodus? What does it cost to buy/sell two houses and to move twice?
Coup de gras with my dad? Total taxes in TX were only $1k less than in CA for $80k less income. All made up in local taxes, which he can't deduct because they are over $10k (see tax law change re: SALT in 2017). But hey, he's in TX now, so winner! :rofl:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Coup de gras with my dad? Total taxes in TX were only $1k less than in CA for $80k less income. All made up in local taxes, which he can't deduct because they are over $10k (see tax law change re: SALT in 2017). But hey, he's in TX now, so winner! :rofl:
Yeah, when you realize how far behind Texas is for infrastructure and how they are struggling to build it fast enough...it's more like a tax-haven for businesses while the population has to suffer the effects of not enough revenue. True, some of these issues are the same for any urban area...but they have so much land to deal with and they build their rep on making it "easy" for business...so that gets shifted more to the lower income earners, like usual.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Its the middle of the winter in Lima. Not only am not wearing a coat, but I had to turn on the AC at my appartment today.
We are like 10 deg celcius above "normal".

This had me wondering so I googled some and came up with the IPCC Report. UN's research institution on climate change.
What impacted me the most from what I read today. "30% of humans in 2050 might live in regions not suitable for human life". That would be 4 billion people/refugees in 30 years.
We are fucked.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
john kerry could have just been told no with a phone call....

but....

climate czar gotta fly.....