Quantcast

Complete Guide to Downhill Rubber

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Speaking of trail tire.. I tripple pinched and blew some holes in my exo+ minions f&r last week in a not so rocky area, but was going mach 10. Only option I had for tires for a the weekend was a set of exo reg dissector and exo reg assguy. I tossed them in with a set of cushcore xc's and was amazed by the dissector in the rear. Much more pedal friendly, seems to climb technical sections better and rolls fast as hell. It does cut loose braking much more easily than the dhr2, but the difference in drag/ speed is noticeable and I wouldnt go back to the DHR unless it was absolutely needed. The assguy i have is the barebones, basic b*tch version and I neither love nor hate it... its just meh. All of our trails have been pounded by rain before each ride so everything is super hard packed with lots of sand and dust over it so tough conditions to trust any tire in.
This is good info, thanks. My go-to setup at the moment is DHR2 EXO+ up front, and DHR2 DD in the rear. I like it. But I wouldn't mind sightly better rolling in the rear... My main concern would be wear of the side knobs. they look kinda dinky. Thoughts?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
The Dissector 2.3 is a good rear tire but I hope they'll make them in the DD casing. I've had a few close calls, it is only a matter of time until I destroy it in a fat ass hacky move.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I've been super impressed the the soft DH assguys but having them F/R on my DH bike is super slow rolling. I'm thinking dissector for the rear would be a good combination. Hopefully there's enough braking to manage our not mega-steep trails.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
If I were doing east coast trail riding, I think a Minion SS/DHF combo would be fine...?

Not the newest or weirdest, but probably close to the optimal set-up.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
My East Coast tires are Assguy DD maxxgripp (exo maxxterra sux, DHF is better in Maxxterra) and a SE4 would like a Disector in DD.

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
I've ordered one LG1 A/T 2.4 Race for the front and one LG1 SS 2.35 Plus for the rear.
$80 shipped for both.
I'm on my second Gen3 A/T in MoPo flavor. I think the Gen1 tire had better cornering grip, but the Gen3 isn't too far behind and is easier to control. It regains grip right away after it lets go, presumably because of rounder profile (slightly rounder than 2.4WT Minion). Rolls faster than the Gen1 tire, and the side knobs don't get under-cut.

Good buy IMO for the price you paid.
IMG_3323.jpg

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I'm really liking the Wild Enduro Rear. The Gum-X compound seems to hold up a lot better for me than MaxxTerra. Here's a photo after about 30 rides (roughly 240 miles / 60k ft). NorCal dust on crust, not many rocks where I live. When I tried a Dissector, there were big chunks torn off the backside of the center knobs within 2 weeks. Same thing usually happens with DHRs. Price is right too, usually about $50-55 from WWC. Not for anyone who likes to drift/slide corners though - it just digs in and holds.

IMG_20200507_153418.jpg

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I'm really liking the Wild Enduro Rear. The Gum-X compound seems to hold up a lot better for me than MaxxTerra. Here's a photo after about 30 rides (roughly 240 miles / 60k ft). NorCal dust on crust, not many rocks where I live. When I tried a Dissector, there were big chunks torn off the backside of the center knobs within 2 weeks. Same thing usually happens with DHRs. Price is right too, usually about $50-55 from WWC. Not for anyone who likes to drift/slide corners though - it just digs in and holds.

View attachment 145123
That looks like something I'd run in the front.
was going to ask: what do you run in the front?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The front looks pretty similar, the center knobs are just bigger.

My reaction when I saw photos was that the side knobs look too far apart, but a friend of mine just got a set and won't shut up about them. The side knobs are a bit sparse, but they're super burly and well supported, so I could see it maybe working. His opinions on tires are normally pretty good.

Last edited:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Fast friend of mine just returned to DHF/DHR2 after a short Michelin liaison, stating that the Minions are just more predictable and offer better wet root grip, which is crucial over here.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
They are way farther apart than anything I've tried from Maxxis or Schwalbe. But I think that's what makes them so amazing in loose over hard. I get the MX comment a bunch... "Whoa, those look like moto tires!"

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
They are way farther apart than anything I've tried from Maxxis or Schwalbe. But I think that's what makes them so amazing in loose over hard. I get the MX comment a bunch... "Whoa, those look like moto tires!"
It's kind of interesting... because their *best* tread design has side knobs much closer together. And is REALLY good on loose over hard. Disclaimer: I suck at biking, and am definitely a skilless hack for the most part.

1589923188471.png

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
To be honest, wet root performance is about the last requirement for a tire out here. Loose over hard and rocks are the primary requirements.
I think I get about a two week period at the end of July where wet root performance isn't a major consideration.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
around here (at least without driving well over an hour) we have so many riders and so few trails that everything is hardpack over hardpack, and the occasional rock, at least until some stravasshole removes it.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Major Dick update - not pinch flats yet but the side knobs are undercut while the center thread looks like new. Meh, this experiment is not a success.
Mine is still relatively fine, been running it in all sorts of conditions and really dig it so far. Tread wear is ok, but I'm on the stuff you guys call loam most of the time. Center knobs show a little wear on the braking edges.
Will post a pic tomorrow.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I'm really liking the Wild Enduro Rear.
The rear was awesome when I tried it briefly. The front wasn't a match for a Magic Mary tho. I loved the consistent and predictable breakaway on the rear though. Hows durability been for you? I didn't run mine very long because i sold them as a pair.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
The rear was awesome when I tried it briefly. The front wasn't a match for a Magic Mary tho. I loved the consistent and predictable breakaway on the rear though. Hows durability been for you? I didn't run mine very long because i sold them as a pair.
I think I'll end up getting about 50 rides out of it. Front and rear are both starting to show obvious wear at this point. I'm trying to hold off until when my new frame gets here (ETA late June / early July) but I'm not sure I'll make it. I've started to have a few breakaways in spots where I didn't before when they were fresh.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I've ordered one LG1 A/T 2.4 Race for the front and one LG1 SS 2.35 Plus for the rear.
$80 shipped for both.
It's been a while since I had a "tubeless" tire that was leaking air through sidewalls at gargantuan speed. :banghead:
Inflate to 40PSI, two hours later it is flat, with sealant. Da fuqq e13?? I checked where it is leaking and discovered a lively pattern of bubbles revealing the fabric layers inside the sidewalls.