Quantcast

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'm just trying to see where people see this ending up in a year. And where each 'side' would like that to be, irrespective of who's the figurehead in the whitehouse.

And what your opinion on that is. I'm serious. I don't particularly think shooting people is awesome but it's going more towards that direction than away from it. This is going to progress further. Which narrative line would you rather live under in a decade as each 'side' gets more entrenched.

It's easy to casually pass this over and just say 'both sides are stupid'. But it's also avoiding the discussion.

Last edited:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I don't think ether side is accurately representative of a majority of Americans, and I don't think either side has a narrative that will support a country (nor a country I would want to live in). I do think they are extensions of certain ideas.

The Trump parade is easier to sum up. That was a bunch of dudes looking to troll. They want to agitate and disrupt, and mock the protestors.

The protestors have a variety of demands, and the group is composed of several smaller groups. One of the ends seems to be defunding the police. That idea may or may not work in various locations. I can't believe that whatever does work in Portland would ever be a universal solution for the rest of the country.

We live in a paradoxical time, where violence and human suffering is on the decline, but with the optics for it to be more easily seen and focused on.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
If I had to simplify I'm basically down to the following

A) copping, change it, now, or shit breaks because you're not listening

B) no, keep it the same, cuz freedom?, plus our leader in your face

I see one of those as way more ominous in the future. Our version of 'good germans' has emerged as 'patriots'. Dismissing both end goals as just wanting to win the yelling match seems kind of dangerous to me.

Getting bad cops out seems to be something everyone agrees with, but it's still a problem decades and decades after it became a topic du jour. This country is so binary that those commonalities aren't even being addressed.

I do wish 'defund' the police would become 'redefine' the police. Even manimal said pretty much the same thing on the first page of this thread.

In the meantime the nationalistic shit is starting to scare me a little. A lot more than some skinny hipster kids spraypainting and breaking windows. And a burning cop car is still not a human life.

When small government republicans start praising militaristic govt force, shit's getting blurry.

Last edited:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Yeah. The circle jerk around “America is the best” does actually frighten me more than the vegetable rights activists. Best at what, as decided by which governing body?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

The richest president in American history, who has yet to donate to his 2020 campaign, has now moved $2.3 million of contributions from other people into his private companies.
I'm sure @Brian HCM#1 will be shocked to learn the president hasn't fulfilled this campaign promise?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
This is one pissed off dude.

I love these clips with sign language translations. The signers often seem to have facial expressions of distaste. I’m not sure if that’s a mechanism for communicating the speaker’s tone, or expressing the signer’s personal feelings.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If only someone would start a non-violent respectful movement that highlighted injustice and the abuse of police. I am sure the public would accept it, realize it isn't a zero sum game and try to move the needle. Then people wouldn't get frustrated by decades of zero progress.

180523-colin-kaepernick-national-anthem-njs-1407_eca555e09a5121ce474ffc9fb6465625.fit-760w.jpg

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I love these clips with sign language translations. The signers often seem to have facial expressions of distaste. I’m not sure if that’s a mechanism for communicating the speaker’s tone, or expressing the signer’s personal feelings.
I took an ASL class in highschool. Facial expressions are VERY important in conveying subtext to particular signs due to the simple limits of sign language.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Dude, you gotta check out the stenographer who sits behind Herr Twitler feverishly scribbling down what he says. Some of her facial expressions are priceless..

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i keep seeing all these trump supporters driving around with big flags and sitting in the back of trucks holding rifles, and it took me a while to remember where i'd seen that before.

1598882675773.png

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Next election should be like a game show. You don't get to know the party of the candidate until after the election, so you have to guess based on the clues they provide by explaining their platforms.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I think I just broke a Trumper client. :rofl: We were talking about the fiscal structure and integrity of Social Security because he was concerned about it not being there when he retires. Gave him details about number of people on/paying into it, number 100% depending on it, and how the payroll tax cap is limiting its funding.

He made me go back and explain the payroll tax and how the cap works, as he wasn't aware of what they were. Laid out that the payroll tax funds Social Security and if the cap is removed, it's funded indefinitely. He paused and said "it makes a lot sense now that some politicians are saying that people making more money should pay more than others in taxes". Started asking me a bunch of other questions about how Social Security works, reasoning for its existence, etc. But you could just hear the brakes get slammed on and him say "wtf!?"

He spent the last 5min thanking me for everything I told him, what I suggested he do because it will save him thousands and he can retire early, but for really teaching him so many new things he wasn't aware of before.

God, I hope this helps turn someone.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I think I just broke a Trumper client. :rofl: We were talking about the fiscal structure and integrity of Social Security because he was concerned about it not being there when he retires. Gave him details about number of people on/paying into it, number 100% depending on it, and how the payroll tax cap is limiting its funding.

He made me go back and explain the payroll tax and how the cap works, as he wasn't aware of what they were. Laid out that the payroll tax funds Social Security and if the cap is removed, it's funded indefinitely. He paused and said "it makes a lot sense now that some politicians are saying that people making more money should pay more than others in taxes". Started asking me a bunch of other questions about how Social Security works, reasoning for its existence, etc. But you could just hear the brakes get slammed on and him say "wtf!?"

He spent the last 5min thanking me for everything I told him, what I suggested he do because it will save him thousands and he can retire early, but for really teaching him so many new things he wasn't aware of before.

Ugh. If social security is a material portion of your retirement plan, you will probably end up working longer than you planned.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

One down, 62,984,827 to go! :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003

What is the cap currently?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Which, for a lot of the country (urban areas) is laughably low. :disgust:
The argument for not uncapping it is that it's already a redistributive system that caps benefits. Due to its calculation with its "bend points" people paying in get much more for their contributions if their 30 year average salary was lower.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003