Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Wife got an iPhone notification that she had a positive COVID contact. Checked phone and it was on Jan 26, which was something like 12 days before this notification. She also didn't go out and do anything that day, either, like most days.

She freaked out and scheduled a COVID test--"maybe my headache is from it?!". Got it done at a community site yesterday afternoon. Resulted today after noon, negative, of course.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Wife got an iPhone notification that she had a positive COVID contact. Checked phone and it was on Jan 26, which was something like 12 days before this notification. She also didn't go out and do anything that day, either, like most days.

She freaked out and scheduled a COVID test--"maybe my headache is from it?!". Got it done at a community site yesterday afternoon. Resulted today after noon, negative, of course.

A jewish space laser could have shot Covid into your home.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
A jewish space laser could have shot Covid into your home.
It's not entirely impossible, sure.

But given that the date of Bluetooth-proximity-contact was logged and we know what happened... our best guess is that a neighbor was positive and Bluetooth just had an exceptional radius of reception that day?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It's not entirely impossible, sure.

But given that the date of Bluetooth-proximity-contact was logged and we know what happened... our best guess is that a neighbor was positive and Bluetooth just had an exceptional radius of reception that day?

Maybe your 5g chip enables mesh communication?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
OOOH let's go skiing at Winter park or any other Colorado resort

Have skied a fair amount, still Rona free.

There was a piece on the local news about this a day or two ago. Pretty much every COVID case in the ski industry has been traced back to ski bum employees acting like ski bums and transmission happening at house parties. Zero evidence that transmission is happening outside

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Got the first round of Moderna this afternoon. Was also the first time in an indoor public space since October. Still have a shit load of anxiety about being around the other humans. Hopefully being fully vaccinated will alleviate some of that stress.

Last edited:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
So here in NZ we had a family of three test positive ‘in the community’ so we’ve moved to “Level 3” in Auckland and “Level 2” elsewhere. Kids still going to school but most businesses (inc mine) are back to work from home. The hammer and the dance, as the fellow said right at the start.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
So here in NZ we had a family of three test positive ‘in the community’ so we’ve moved to “Level 3” in Auckland and “Level 2” elsewhere. Kids still going to school but most businesses (inc mine) are back to work from home. The hammer and the dance, as the fellow said right at the start.
You mean that people who exhibit Covid-19 symptoms actually get tested and stay away from others so the virus doesn’t spread ? Are you sure ? Cuz that definitely doesn’t sound like where I live.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Yup, amazing I know. Turns out it is the UK variant (the ‘Boris Bug’ — only exists because the UK did a shit job of locking down), and at the moment there doesn’t seem to be a source for it which is worrying the authorities. Like 50 people (close contacts) are in isolation already, and contact tracing is ongoing. The woman worked in airline services so there is a possibility she has handled/come into contact with some contaminated kit.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Yup, amazing I know. Turns out it is the UK variant (the ‘Boris Bug’ — only exists because the UK did a shit job of locking down), and at the moment there doesn’t seem to be a source for it which is worrying the authorities. Like 50 people (close contacts) are in isolation already, and contact tracing is ongoing. The woman worked in airline services so there is a possibility she has handled/come into contact with some contaminated kit.
Just wait unit the Florida/Alabama hybrid gets going...

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
My Ma and her husband just tested positive for Covid. They've been feeling crummy for ~10 days or so, but it seems like a mild case. Headache, fever, general malaise... but nothing respiratory and no hospitalization. Thankful it's not worse. Apparently Ma's husband was convinced they didn't have it, but they got tested "just to be safe" and KAPLOW. I do think they've been quarantining theyselves as well... though I doubt I'll ask directly since whatever they've done in that regard is in the past and if they told me they've still been going out and about (which I doubt) the only thing knowing would do would make me irritable with them, it wouldn't change anything.

My Ma and her husband just tested positive for Covid. They've been feeling crummy for ~10 days or so, but it seems like a mild case. Headache, fever, general malaise... but nothing respiratory and no hospitalization. Thankful it's not worse. Apparently Ma's husband was convinced they didn't have it, but they got tested "just to be safe" and KAPLOW. I do think they've been quarantining theyselves as well... though I doubt I'll ask directly since whatever they've done in that regard is in the past and if they told me they've still been going out and about (which I doubt) the only thing knowing would do would make me irritable with them, it wouldn't change anything.
Wow...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
++vibes for yer mum & her guy. Is that back in Indiana?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Yep. And they're both in the over-70 club, but they just can't get an appointment for a vaccination as there are very few and what there are fill up really quickly. They're in Florida, and she's complained often about how they're governor and state in general is handling the pandemic. From what she tells me, they keep to themselves most of the time and use every precaution they know of when they do have to go out to get groceries or whatever, They're in a camper down there in an RV park, but they only socialize outside with other people and it's generally a pretty small social circle from what she's told me.

++vibes for yer mum & her guy. Is that back in Indiana?
See above. Florida.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Best of luck to them, FT.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
@rideit

Are you still planning to come to Peru in march?
We are in lockdown in the middle of the 2nd wave at peak excess deaths.
There are 2000 UCI beds in the country and they are all full and pretty much reserved for those 38 and under.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Well, we have our plane tickets, but will obviously be watching and waiting. We won’t come if it appears that our trip would pose a burden in any way. Likely I will already have been vaccinated, and my son and I have had it, and recovered, which are mitigating circumstances. We also would quarantine at Brisas/Playa Asia for a week as well.
In other words, TBD.
My parents gifted us the frequent flier miles for the whole trip, so no harm/no foul if we can’t make it.
But I will certainly shout out if I come.
I was hoping to host a big Almuerzo with my group of friends, but obviously that is out.

Last edited:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Seems legit.

Eh, with teacher's unions fighting tooth and nail to not go back to in-person, I'd give the vax to the weed dealers. The union (UTLA) that represents at my wife's school is pushing hard to not go back to in-person learning until 100% of the student body is vaccinated, and since nearly 0% of the student population is even eligible for the vaccine, their demands are creating a bit of a roadblock. They're stonewalling reopening talks until at a minimum teachers are fully vaccinated, which, since vaccinations are still probably a month away, and take at least a month to complete, they're not going back in-person this year.

The people really getting hosed are daycare workers, they've been taking care of little germ factories who can't wear masks this whole time, but lack a lobby, so fuck 'em I guess?

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
So an in-law of a family member passed this weekend. He was a Doctor and exercise addict. He had received his 2nd dose of vaccine on Thursday. Did not stop him from taking big skate-ski sessions, that day, Friday, and Saturday. Was complaining of a jumpy heart on Friday. Went skiing anyways. Passed in his sleep. Otherwise healthy middle aged man.

No one in the family wants to make a correlation with his receiving of the vaccine within 3 days of passing. People are being advised to lay low after the 2nd dose. It may be early to assume correlation but man seems like it may have contributed to his demise.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Yet deaths are still averaging 2500 a day. And that is a recent drop from 3000 that could be explained by delayed reporting from areas hit with winter storms.

If the vaccine is helping the decline in cases, clearly the most vulnerable were not given priority access. But hey, a bike shop owner I know got vaccinated because he works with the local fire department once a year during their holiday toy drive. You know, a first responder.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Got a transfer into my ICU last night from another facility. Patient was being ruled out for C19, and was on bipap. The transport crew were wearing simple masks. I asked if they'd been wearing N95 or PAPR gear in their rig. Crew is in the same network as my hospital - they have plenty of access to the gear.

"nah"

What in the everloving' fuck?!?!?!