Quantcast

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
And China say's "we'll that that extra money off of you.... Have fun with the tarrif's when they get there!"
Some med equipment destined to Quebec has been reallocated to Ohio. Company had no answer to provide. I guess some company exec woke up with a dead horse head in his bed.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Well... the situation in ecuador right now is the stuff of horror movies.

People dumping corpses on the streets... and burning them right in the middle of the streets (!), as hospitals, crematories and morgues have collapsed.. a regular folks cannot longer keep their decomposing bodies of their elders inside the houses any longer.

The images are astonishing.
Christ Almighty......... :fie:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Christ Almighty......... :fie:
I can't find the thread on twitter that I read this morning to re-post it. But an ER doctor (may have been nurse) in NYC was given a Yankees plastic rain poncho as her PPE for her work shift today/yesterday.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
The shenanigans involved in that low cost ventilator deal are, on the one hand, ridiculous, on the other hand, so standard for government contracting I’m not even the littlest bit surprised.

Anyone who issues a contract that involves taxpayers footing the bill for design and development but which does not result in us owning the IP should be burned at the stake. When Newport bowed out we could have just shopped the design to other manufacturers and be years ahead of where were at now, instead we had to start from square one and were just hoping the new vendor delivers on time, in a couple months.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Best healthcare system in the world
I’d put money on many of these too-lean healthcare systems being private systems bought out by private equity groups in the past decade. Squeeze squeeze and squeeze some more.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I’d put money on many of these too-lean healthcare systems being private systems bought out by private equity groups in the past decade. Squeeze squeeze and squeeze some more.
I was actually thinking that most hospitals are running 'lean' operations. I think I have seen lean concepts ruin more companies than I can count. And then I see Toyota, who everyone is trying to copy and aren't even close to the lean levels everyone else is trying to achieve.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Well. Kids schools are officially closed for the school year here. Fun.
We've been pushed out to April 30. School ends mid-May. They aren't going back but nobody is saying it out loud.

Company has pushed out "no physical interaction" policy until May 15th. Talking with manager we're both in agreement that June is going to be more realistic.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Well... the situation in ecuador right now is the stuff of horror movies.

People dumping corpses on the streets... and burning them right in the middle of the streets (!), as hospitals, crematories and morgues have collapsed.. a regular folks cannot longer keep their decomposing bodies of their elders inside the houses any longer.

The images are astonishing.
that's horrible. link? (in spanish is fine)

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I was actually thinking that most hospitals are running 'lean' operations. I think I have seen lean concepts ruin more companies than I can count. And then I see Toyota, who everyone is trying to copy and aren't even close to the lean levels everyone else is trying to achieve.
My experience is that being "lean" and "six sigma" is like the holy grail for management and accounting, until they realize what's required to get there and stay there, then they back off and want to do just enough to call themselves lean.

There are also plenty of places that poorly manage their supply chain under the guise of being lean, only to bear the cost on the back end. Nothing like sitting on $200K in WIP while it waits for $1K worth of hardware to come in.

*Looks around for potential Black Belt mentors...*

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My experience is that being "lean" and "six sigma" is like the holy grail for management and accounting, until they realize what's required to get there and stay there, then they back off and want to do just enough to call themselves lean.

There are also plenty of places that poorly manage their supply chain under the guise of being lean, only to bear the cost on the back end. Nothing like sitting on $200K in WIP while it waits for $1K worth of hardware to come in.

There is a real sweet spot of dysfunction when you set up a very lean supply chain and go with the lowest cost least reliable suppliers from every corner of the world. AKA, American Corporate strategy

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
There is a real sweet spot of dysfunction when you set up a very lean supply chain and go with the lowest cost least reliable suppliers from every corner of the world. AKA, American Corporate strategy
Dont forget to single source that el cheapo supplier too. Would be a real shame to spend the money qualifying to suppliers when I'm sure the primary will never, ever burn you.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

I could introduce you to our kaizen efforts and lean manufacturing department and then later in the afternoon show you the warehouse of inventory that is kept hidden.

:crazy:

Part of this though is some of our customers change their demand, beyond what we are contracted and able to possibly manufacture based on time and our own suppliers. But when reputation and money are involved, its shocking how quick people will bend over and spread both cheeks...

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Another brain surgeon, now admitted at the hospital that employs her.

VTApe

Monkey
Feb 5, 2005
Vermont
In supply chain, can confirm. The idea of going lean on HC supply chain is insane, and reason 944 why HC should not be a profit driven industry.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
reason 944 why HC should not be a profit driven industry.
Britain has supply chain issues with the NHS too.
What's a reasonable supply when it comes to preparedness for a unique, global event?