Quantcast

Custom Paint Helmet Thread!!

biketiger

Chimp
Dec 4, 2001
in my house
I just finished this one on Sunday. Luke Skywalker's helmet from the "first" movie. Yes, I can be a bit of a fanboy sometimes. :)

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Can't beleive it's been something like a year since I posted. Forgot I ever started this thread...but it's still one of the best for pics. Wonder how close it is to longest running?

Anyway, it reminded me that now I'm back on here I can post pics of my paintjob. Buddy of mine and his dad run an auto body & custom shop and did this one. My only request were a light base color and the 2 offset hot rod stripes.

He did it bare bones for me so if you see flaws, know he doesn't do work like this on a good helmet. It's a 4 year old D2 that was scratched to death. I just asked him to freshen it up to let me get 1 last season out of it. Washing the liner helped too.

His father did the clear coat and pics don't do it justice...like a white version of liquid mercury. Stoked. Oh, and He painted Geritt's lid too.

Notice the black strip around the base...it's called Black Cherry Pearl and only shows in bright sunlight. He said he had some leftover and wanted to play a little:

Last edited:

Natedog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Ventura, Ca
I know this is a bit bizarre, and maybe a bit lame. But I am working on some vinyl decals for my helmet that need to be done this afternoon at some point. But I need some information that I don't have access too, (I left my helmet at home...)

Does anyone have the jaw measurements of a D2 (height at the front, and length (from the front vents, to the vent in the rear?))??? It would be a huge help, so thanks in advance if anyone has that information.

Bart

Chimp
Dec 7, 2004
Ralph from RLDesigns, PB me if you want his contact details.... He is a member on this forum; Ralph

M@LPHY

Monkey
Oct 6, 2004
the Netherlands
@LMC.: That would be me sir!
Representing Holland / Europe...
haha

Obviously it's missing the rubber trimmings... trouble sourcing these.
Face port has a Bell Autosports helmet left-over trimming.

This was a clapped-out 02 D2 Carbon, previously.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I think I'll donate mine a second time to Shane Jordan so he can play with designs before my next helmet.

Herndon should post his up here. The guy that painted Motomike's martian helmet did it and it looks great. Airbrush Designs out of Charlotte. To look at the helmet pics off his site, you'd never think of buying from him, but everything he's done on D2's has been awesome.

Natedog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Ventura, Ca
Here is the vinyl work. It's just a coincidence it's going up today. I just wanted to have my helmet a tribute to the best place in the world, The united states and to be specific NY. So here ya go.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
how is Dylan's work? i have a new 2010 D2 on the way and want it painted asap.

my buddy Stacy has been featured on pinkbike a lot and was thinking about having him do some work as well

Natedog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Ventura, Ca
I think Jeremiah's work is reall really good. I think if he could focus his efforts on it a little bit more and didn't have soo much going on his work could potentially rival that of Troy Lee's. Some of his helmets are pretty damn impressive. I had him do something simple on mine, and it cam out great. it looks good, the finish iis nice and he used good looking paint. All in all I am very pleased.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I think Jeremiah's work is reall really good. I think if he could focus his efforts on it a little bit more and didn't have soo much going on his work could potentially rival that of Troy Lee's. Some of his helmets are pretty damn impressive. I had him do something simple on mine, and it cam out great. it looks good, the finish iis nice and he used good looking paint. All in all I am very pleased.
yeah i know he's been swamped from what he has said on RM.
im sure his prices are a helluva better than TLD's

Natedog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Ventura, Ca
The NYC graphics are vinyl stickers...much like moto decals (think heavy duty vinyl).

This is what I was curious about the jaw measurements for...they came out pretty good IMO.

rideHRD

Chimp
Oct 2, 2009
Thanks,
I use a certain marker from Japan. I paint helmets, surfboard, shoes,hats, etc..
I will post some other stuff later.
John